MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

P2 import

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jack ShepardP2 import
by on Sep 14, 2008 at 7:01:36 pm

I've been importing footage with the P2 import into Producer (using version 12.1). In the Import Panasonic P2 Menu the clips/footage all shows up and the codec states that it is DVCPROHD720p60. But after I import it - it shows up in the Bin and Programs as DVCPROHD720p23.97. I don't want to edit it on 23.97. Why is it doing this? There doesn't seem to be any way to adjust this...

Return to posts index

Wickham StrubRe: P2 import
by on Sep 14, 2008 at 8:09:46 pm

I'm pretty sure this is because, for some strange reason, "DVCPROHD720p60" is the actual name of the codec. The name of the codec, of course, has nothing to do with the frame rate of the clip(s).

You can double-check my theory a couple of ways...

1 - Open any movie file in QT Pro and start to export it. In the "Movie to Quicktime Movie" choices, see if the codec shows up with "60" at the end of it.

2 - Dig into the CONTENTS folder on your P2 volume and find the folder called "Clip" or "Clips". In there will be a bunch of .xml files. One of them should have the same name as the clip you're having trouble with. Open it in TextEdit and look for the frame rate. I suspect you will find that it reports the file(s) as the same frame rate that's coming up in M100.

Return to posts index

Jack ShepardRe: P2 import
by on Sep 14, 2008 at 8:17:51 pm

Thanks much. Makes sense. I'll take a look at what you suggested.

Return to posts index

Jack ShepardRe: P2 import
by on Sep 14, 2008 at 8:35:11 pm

Question part 2:
Is there any way to convert the 720p 23.98fps into SD 29.97. It is not an option in the conform program menu?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Wickham StrubRe: P2 import
by on Sep 15, 2008 at 2:32:57 am

No, sorry. M100 doesn't currently do any frame rate conversion.

I seem to recall hearing that the latest version of Compressor does a fair job of this, but I haven't tryed it myself.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]