MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

XDCam Import Problem

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason MillerXDCam Import Problem
by on Sep 13, 2008 at 4:19:25 pm

Having problems with XDCam import. Just upgraded to M100 v.12.7.1. Mac OS 10.5.4 on a 2x3GHz Quad Core. Followed the tutorial on the M100 site to download the XDCam transfer software. Working with an EX-3 connected via USB to my system. Open M100, click on "import sony xdcam", a box titled "installed components" comes up telling me I don't have the following components:
MPEG IMX Codecs
XDCam HD (25Mb/s Codecs
XDCam HD (vbr) Codecs
XDCam EX codecs
XDCam HD422 Codecs

Do I need these? If so, where do I get them?

The box says I do have the "PDW-U1 UDF Driver" and "FAM Driver".

I click "Okay" and the XDCam transfer window opens. I see the SxS card under "source". I also see the clip listed. I see all the clip attributes under the "information" window.

Where I assume I should see the clip video, it says "No media". And the "import" button is grayed out and un-clickable.

Probably something simple, but I have no idea what I'm doing wrong?

Return to posts index

olof ekberghRe: XDCam Import Problem
by on Sep 14, 2008 at 11:53:47 am

You need those codecs they come with FCP Studio2, do you have that installed on the same partition?

Olof Ekbergh

Return to posts index

Jason MillerRe: XDCam Import Problem
by on Sep 14, 2008 at 1:49:34 pm

No. I didn't realize I needed it. I guess I need the newest version of FCP installed on the same partition?

Return to posts index

David IsskoRe: XDCam Import Problem
by on Sep 15, 2008 at 6:10:13 am

No need to make an FCP partition and a M100 partition any longer with your M100 version. They can both run on the same partition. Just ensure you download and install the AJA 5.1 NDD driver to suit your Kona card.

I understand that version 6 is NOT suitable at this time, so DO NOT download it.

All the best
David Issko

Return to posts index

Michael SloweRe: XDCam Import Problem
by on Sep 15, 2008 at 6:37:59 pm

That's ridiculous surely. I hope to get version 13 (don't have 12.7) to suppoert my EX1 as I understood Media 100 now do. Why then do we have to have FCP? I have no intention of getting FCP as I'm a Media 100 man.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

by on Sep 15, 2008 at 7:42:27 pm

You know what... that is Ridiculous! Media100 had NO problem charging me the $900 to upgrade to version 12.7, when I specifically told them the reason I needed to upgrade was to work with XDCam media. You would think they would have mentioned that I was also going to need to spend $1400 to buy final cut just to import the media. Thanks a lot guys.

Return to posts index

by on Sep 15, 2008 at 9:25:53 pm

Jason, before we get our knickers in too much of a twist maybe we ought to get some official answers. Can someone from Media 100 please confirm whether or not versions 12.7 and 13 support EX media or not? The facility was announced with great trumpets and I can't believe that it is not so after all.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

by on Sep 15, 2008 at 11:48:11 pm

Michael,
This may or may not directly answer your question but here goes...
Just like pretty much all of us who have M100 12.7.1 and an EX camera, we either capture the footage by playing back in real time or we import using Sony XDCAM transfer software.

Using the software option, I then have Media 100 convert the files to Apple ProRez 422HQ. This is one of the few codecs that M100 will work with in the HD codec options. Yes, it means purchasing FCS for the PR codec, but it is a great all rounder except for AE, which I found out the other day and posted my findings.

However, importing EX files NATIVELY into M100 is something else. I cannot see that this is currently possible IF this is what you are asking as we do not have the choice in 12.7.1 as far as I can see. Someone please correct me if I am wrong and show me how.

I know it is a pest having to buy FCS for the many codecs it has, but just for ProRez 422, it has been fantastic for me as I too am a M100 editor for many years and although I use FCP for other jobs, my main edits are always on M100, so I can understand your frustration in possibly having to purchase FCS for no real reason.

I hope this post makes sense and maybe I might have even answered your questions adequately.

Best wishes
David Issko

Return to posts index

by on Sep 15, 2008 at 11:59:10 pm

Would have been REALLY nice if this had been addressed in M100's tutorial on this subject:

http://www.media100.com/tutorial/XDCAM.php

Which I relied upon in making the $900 dollar decision to upgrade to 12.7, when my 11.6 was working just fine for me.

Why wouldn't they mention that you need FCP to make this work??? Infuriating.

Return to posts index

by on Sep 16, 2008 at 3:13:16 am

Specifically I am not sure that one needs FCP to make the XDCAM import into M100 work.

The point of my previous post is that Media 100's input codecs are in fact very limited in both SD and HD. You have M100HD, M100i uncompressed, DVCPro or similar and a couple of other codecs as standard. When you install FCS, M100 recognises PR422 and includes it and the HQ option as well. I think, but I stand to be corrected, that without FCP, you should be able to import the files from the Sony transfer software and just change the codec to one of the M100's.

I have FSC installed and I have LOTS of codecs to choose from. It is the Sony software that really requires the XDCAM codecs obviously for recognition purposes, rather than M100. One can import the clips via the linear outputs from the EX cameras if need be, albeit not the preferred way, but it sure does work.

So from the importing point of view, the Sony software has really been setup for FCP and not specifically for M100. In fact M100 has oriented their import capabilities to suit the Sony rather than the other way around and that is why one needs the extra bits from FCP to make it all work nicely.

I hope that this helps.
Best Wishes
David Issko

Return to posts index

by on Sep 16, 2008 at 8:59:16 am

David, many thanks for your lucid explanation, yes you have answered nearly all my questions. One more though. Why can't I take the media in with the Sony Transfer tool and then edit in the HD codec that I currently work with. What I do now is convert my SP (HDV) material from my EX1 to full 1920 X 1080 HD through the Convergent Design HD-Connect and carry on from there. What I want to do is shoot in HQ mode, avoid having to convert, import with the Transfer Tool and edit as hitherto.
The only difference being that I'm shooting at 35 Mbps instead of as at present 25 Mbps thereby starting with a higher res picture and, hopefully, therefore, ending with an improvement, albeit still in SD.

I'm out of computer contact for a few days but your answer which I will access later would be appreciated together with any other comments from those Media 100 users with the EX cameras. It's a minefield out there!!

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

by on Sep 16, 2008 at 5:59:48 pm

Michael, You raise some interesting questions that I'm afraid I am personally unable to answer. This is because I have all the codecs (and so many others) installed in my computer, so I am unable to replicate your situation.

Further, I am wondering why you cannot capture 1920 x 1080 via the SDI output of your EX camera. It is certainly available from my EX3 and I'm certain it is from the EX1.

Do you not have SDI in to your Media 100? Just changing direction a little, I have my V1 HDV camera and I can output a 1920 x 1080 SDI image with embedded audio and timecode from my 1500 HDV recorder.

However, as you have found a (hopefully just) temporary work around, it may just be that the (unfair) law of the HD land deems it necessary to go with FCS and all its goodies (read codecs currently missing) so you can extract the very best from the awesome EX system.

Hope this helps
Regards
David Issko

Return to posts index

by on Sep 19, 2008 at 5:19:29 pm

David, yes I have SDI in on my Media 100 but my version will not take embedded audio that the EX1 puts out in HQ mode. Furthermore I want to be able to select what I acquire into editing otherwise the drives would soon fill up. The new version will take HQ embedded I think.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]