MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Confusion about Quicktime and Media 100i

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
J Valentine LAHEY
Confusion about Quicktime and Media 100i
on Sep 13, 2008 at 3:35:48 am

Hello---I'm using a Media 100i 8.2 on a G4 (Mirrored Drive Doors), OSX Tiger--10.4.11; have been holding off on Quicktime upgrades for many months for fear that they will not play in Media 100. For the record:

1. What is the latest version of Quicktime that works for my system?
2. Where do I get it?
3. Is there a downloadable patch from Media 100 to address this, or is it not necessary?

Return to posts index

Floh Peters
Re: Confusion about Quicktime and Media 100i
on Sep 13, 2008 at 8:41:27 am

If you are using V8.2, you definitely should upgrade to V8.2.3a, which is downloadable from Media 100. As you can read some threads below in a post from Wick, Media 100 V8.2.3a only has been officially tested up to OSX 10.4.4 or something; we use (and still use occasionally) one V8.2.3a system on 10.4.11 as an ingest station, which seems to work fine, but we are not doing heavy editing on it. I think at this point you do have to do some tests regarding Quicktime and compatability. One thing you should do is to clone your startup HD (e.g. via Carbon Copy Cloner) as a backup, and then install whatever you want to try on the startup drive. This way you can easily revert back to your old and working configuration in case something breaks with an update.

You definitely don´t want to install QuickTime 7.5.5, since this currently breaks the Media 100 i codec. You could test QuickTime 7.5, though. But before doing work with a tight deadline make sure you have enough time to test this configuration.

And ask yourself what you will gain from the QuickTime upgrades. If there is a software that needs the newer version of QuickTime this would be a good reason to try it out, but if you don´t have a good reason you have to decide if it is worth the hassle.

Return to posts index

J Valentine LAHEY
on Sep 16, 2008 at 9:11:10 pm

I've been refraining from Quicktime for about a year, out of a desire to keep the Media 100 running properly. My inclination would be to continue this, but other basic programs are beginning to require new versions of Quicktime to run; namely, iTunes. Currently my iTunes is a mess because of this, and I have to hunt down the next to latest version again and reinstall it.

Seems like special considerations for Media 100 are colliding with demands of basic functionality for Mac; would be nice if Media 100 got a little more on it with patches/support responding to Quicktime development.

Return to posts index

Floh Peters
on Sep 16, 2008 at 9:49:37 pm

[J Valentine LAHEY] "Seems like special considerations for Media 100 are colliding with demands of basic functionality for Mac; would be nice if Media 100 got a little more on it with patches/support responding to Quicktime development."

Um, I am not really sure if you have noticed it, but Media 100 i has been replaced by Media 100 HD some years ago (somewhere in 2004, with the Media 100 V10.0 software), and still there were some updates done for Media 100 i V8 after that. Plus, usually Media 100 is the company who supports Apples newest OS releases and QuickTime versions much quicker than e.g. Apple with FCP and Avid.
You definitely should not hold your breath for a patch for Media 100 i and QuickTime 7.5.5. QuickTime 7.5 could work, but as I said it is up to you to try it. Still, since iTunes 8 does require QuickTime 7.5.5 I am not sure how much you would gain from 7.5. Maybe it is time to upgrade to Media 100 V12.7 or the newly announced V13 sooner or later?

Return to posts index

J Valentine LAHEY
on Sep 17, 2008 at 2:37:44 am

Ordinarily I might do what you are suggesting. However, I purchased a used Media 100i via eBay and was fooled about receiving the official title transfer that would allow me to upgrade. Hence, I believe I am required to purchase a new system from scratch; very likely beyond what I can afford, certainly beyond what I think is fair.

If I'm wrong about this, and am allowed to upgrade w/o an official title to the Media 100 that I own, please let me know.

Return to posts index

Floh Peters
on Sep 17, 2008 at 7:15:51 am

[J Valentine LAHEY] "If I'm wrong about this, and am allowed to upgrade w/o an official title to the Media 100 that I own, please let me know."

Why don´t you simply get in touch with Media 100 sales and ask them about the possibility to upgrade? They are the ones who really should know how to proceed there.

Return to posts index

J Valentine LAHEY
on Sep 18, 2008 at 5:56:30 am

My previous experiences with Media 100 representatives have been generally unpleasant to say the least. I have never encountered another business which clung harder to its proprietary hold on consumers, nor one that was more haughty and discouraging in tone.

I'd previously had a Media 100 installed in an old G3 that was shared with another partner who gave it up and moved away. Found out in 2003 that, despite being the sole remaining owner of that system, I was unable to upgrade without their official title of ownership EVEN if I traded the boards in. After some persistence I actually found one salesperson who would accept my money; after mailing a check for more than $2000 to Media 100, if found it returned to me in the mail with an explanation (written in pen) that they were refusing to upgrade me. Hence, I took my chances on what I was able to afford: a used Media 100i on eBay. Without the official title, my expectation is that I will be again out of luck for any upgrades.

The industry has continued to change in a way that only heightens the obsolescence of such an approach, so it is possible things have changed. Thank you for your kind suggestion.

Return to posts index

Floh Peters
on Sep 18, 2008 at 6:19:36 am

[J Valentine LAHEY] "Found out in 2003 that, despite being the sole remaining owner of that system, I was unable to upgrade without their official title of ownership EVEN if I traded the boards in."

Believe me, a lot has changed between 2003 and now.

Return to posts index

Wickham Strub
on Sep 18, 2008 at 2:53:33 pm

"...a lot has changed between 2003 and now."
Floh, as you know, that may be the understatement of the century.

J, please, Please, PLEASE call 800-922-3220, press "1" for Sales and ask to speak to Matt. If you end up in voice-mail (because we're busy) PLEASE leave a message with your name and number so he can call you back. He can explain what your options are. I believe you will find them to be MUCH more affordable than they were 4 years ago.

Regards,
Wickham H. Strub
Product Manager for Edit Systems
Boris FX - Media 100

Return to posts index

Paul Crowe
on Sep 20, 2008 at 8:36:52 am

Hey J,

it's unfortunate that you've had this experience with M100 reps.

I have to admit my experience has been totally the opposite. Over nearly ten years I've had nothing but committed and positive dealings with the M100 team.

Hope you get it sorted right this time.

Cheers
Paul Crowe

Return to posts index

Lukkee Chong
on Sep 23, 2008 at 6:26:25 pm

Hi,
Just had to chime in here to echo the sentiments of the last two or so posts. Having been a media 100 user since version 1.2 (really do not recall how long ago that was :)) I have seen changes in the company, full loop since the days of Mariana Moorley to the current crew today.
I hope you will take Wick's advise and give them a call. You have nothing to loose and all to gain.
All the best,
lc

Return to posts index

J Valentine LAHEY
on Sep 24, 2008 at 6:36:33 am

Thanks to both of you for the encouragement! It does sound promising. AM doing some FC Pro work this week, likely to check w/ Media 100 afterward.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]