MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Media 100i 8.2

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Christopher HoltMedia 100i 8.2
by on Sep 11, 2008 at 10:06:11 pm

I finally upgraded my Media 100i from 7.5 to 8.2. I had to upgrade from OS 9 to 10.4 It is freezing up on me during master to tape. Also if I try to import photos it says that there is not enough memory and I should go to the Get Info for the application. Does anybody know how to a lot more memory to the application in 10.4?

Return to posts index

Wickham StrubRE: Media 100i 8.2
by on Sep 12, 2008 at 1:38:14 am

I seem to recall that the error window telling you to allocate more memory mistakenly came across in the port from v7.5 to v8. You just can't allocate more memory manually in OS X. The OS doles it out as needed.

Other concerns are:
1. Be sure that you are using 8.2.3a, available at the bottom of the list here:

When the app is installed, it reports slightly different depending on where you look. If you "get info" on the application file itself, it will report as 8.2.3a there.

2. We never officially tested this beyond OS 10.4.3 (or maybe 10.4.4) but (anecdotally) it seems to work okay all the way up to OS 10.4.11.

3. QuickTime is the other big concern. You definitely want to stay away from QT 7.5.5 (see threads below) but also be careful about going any higher than QT 7.3 (again, not tested, you're on your own).

4. What are you using for media drives? Many external drive configurations did not transfer gracefully from OS 9 to OS X. If you haven't already, try a new test project using the internal drive(s) only.

Let us know how it goes,

Return to posts index

Christopher HoltRe: RE: Media 100i 8.2
by on Sep 12, 2008 at 2:09:54 pm

I have Quicktime 7.0. I have internal drives and they were working fine before I upgraded. After I posted my problem I did a hardware test on the Media 100 cards. Yesterday I was able to finish a project with my lagging or crashing. We'll see how it goes.

How do I get the erroneous "allot more memory" message to go away?

Return to posts index

Wickham StrubRe: RE: Media 100i 8.2
by on Sep 12, 2008 at 3:19:40 pm

I'm going to be BRUTALLY honest with you. Don't take this wrong way. I'm NOT trying to say, "We don't care about Media 100 i." I'm just trying to explain why we no longer have all the answers about Media 100 i.

Media 100 i is ancient history for us. The only reason we still support it in the least is because we have customers with current systems that still use it. Also, Media 100 i users, like yourself, represent a potential market for our new systems. So...for those reasons, we do our best to help, but we don't knock ourselves out 'cause we're far more worried about making the new stuff better.

Now the answer to your question. I'm not sure that you CAN keep that erroneous error (dept. of redundancy dept?) from popping up.

The best thing you can do is ensure you're running v8.2.3a. That is not just the latest version of Media 100 i, it's the LAST version of Media 100 i. So if the error still pops up there, then we didn't take it out, and it'll keep popping up as long as the app runs out of memory. Which leads us the the real question here...

Why is the application running out of memory? Is there a specific task you're performing when this error pops up? How much memory DO you have installed in the machine?

Return to posts index

Christopher HoltRe: RE: Media 100i 8.2
by on Sep 13, 2008 at 5:00:06 am

Importing Jpeg pictures off a thumb drive. Creating graphics or rendering in Boris FX. I am running 8.2.3a

Now to your first statement. What system are you promoting now? I know Media 100i is old history but I have been working on it since 1998 and have used Vegas, FCP and AVID and I still can work much faster on Media 100i especially for long form 30 and 60 minute shows and documentaries. I would like to take the leap especially when HD is no longer avoidable. So, what would your recommend?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved