MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Black levels on By-Ref and SelfContained clips

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jack Shepard
Black levels on By-Ref and SelfContained clips
on Sep 10, 2008 at 5:19:28 pm

Great news on the FCP and Media 100!

Question: When I export a By-Reference clip or a Self Contained Clip it seems like my black levels seemed washed out. Any ideas why this is happening?

Return to posts index

Wickham Strub
Re: Black levels on By-Ref and SelfContained clips
on Sep 10, 2008 at 8:33:55 pm

Hey Jack,

•What codec(s) are you using?

•HD or SD?

•Anything else you can think of?

~Wick

Return to posts index

Jack Shepard
on Sep 10, 2008 at 9:43:50 pm

I was actually using the Media100i codec on this particular one. But I have noticed it on a project I did using the DVCProHD codec as well (though everything looks fine when I am going to tape). for this project, I was exporting a by-reference clip and then was going to make different compressions from that using quicktime. But the black level is off. So, for example, I brought a still file into Boris Fx and shrank it. But the black of the card isn't matching the background around it, if that makes sense. In contrast, when I export a non-compressed clip/animatic codec clip using quicktime the blacks export fine.

Any ideas? Thanks so much.

Return to posts index

Floh Peters
on Sep 10, 2008 at 10:24:27 pm

Jack,

you are running into the usual 0-255 vs 16-235 RGB luma level range. Media 100 i codec uses a 16-235 luma range when being converted to RGB via QuickTime, DVCPro does use 0-255. Both are perfectly legal ways of handling luma ranges, and both have advantages and disadvantages. One thing you should not do for a by-reference or self-contained export is to mix formats. If you mix formats for whatever reason in your timeline, make sure to use the QuickTime export to a codec of your choice, and choose your target range depending what you want to do with the resulting file. E.g. if you want to use the files in Compressor, use 0-255. If you e.g. want to use them in AE and render back into Media 100 i codec, use 16-235. Some apps (like BitVice for example) do support both luma ranges. In BitVice the 16-235 range is called "StudioRGB" vs. FullRGb for the 0-255 range.

Return to posts index

Jack Shepard
on Sep 10, 2008 at 10:35:58 pm

I see. I see. I have been working a lot with projects that have mixed media lately - maybe that's why I suddenly started noticing it. Thanks for the indepth answer.

Return to posts index

David Issko
on Sep 11, 2008 at 5:10:56 am

I came across this issue quite a few years ago when M100 did not offer a 16-235 or 0-255 range choice like it does now. I happily edited my project in M100, exported the files as a by reference, used QTPro to make my MPEG2 files for DVD and watched in disappointment when my wonderful program had a high setup, which I could not work out for some time.

Although it takes a painfully long time to export, I always use 0-255 range when making DVDs as I use Compressor for the MPEG2 files. If anyone knows what adjustments I can make on Compressor to suit a M100 by reference export, that would be great.

I know that Bitvice is probably a better way for me to go and I should update my very old version.

Best Wishes
David Issko

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Sep 11, 2008 at 9:25:08 am

Even with BitVice I find that contrast (& black) is diluted somewhat and have lately taken to increasing contrast levels after I have done my tape master and before exporting by reference and using BitVice to encode the .Mov file.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Jack Shepard
on Sep 11, 2008 at 11:48:07 am

Someone had posted this awhile ago and I jotted it down. Never really put my black/white setup issues and the DVD process together before. This has worked with me while making DVD's in Compressor:

NTSC
4:3
upperfield
closed gop
7 frame structure
Filters:
black restore + 7.5
colors (highlights and midtones = +20 (leave shadows/lowlights at 0 or you add noise back to your blacks)
Gamma is 1.4 (you could try 1.3 and 1.5)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]