MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

HDV Device Control Problems

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jaeson KoszarskyHDV Device Control Problems
by on Aug 26, 2008 at 4:21:34 pm

We have a Sony HDV deck connected to our Media100HD DualG5 system, with v11.5 software.

Device control for this deck is set to FireWire. Video input is SD via component connection. I tried FireWire input but couldn't get it to work.

We bring in media at a draft quality and then batch reacquire at higher quality later. During the batch reacquire we encounter numerous problems locating clips on tapes with good timecode. Repeating the reacquire several times often works but wastes time.

We don't have any problems doing this from our BetaSP decks.

Is there something I can change in the Media100HD or HDV deck settings that will make this process work better?

Thanks,
Jaeson

Return to posts index

Floh PetersRe: HDV Device Control Problems
by on Aug 26, 2008 at 4:33:04 pm

There have been done some optimizations to later Media 100 versions to have better controls of HDV decks. Problem is that their reaction time (e.g. from FF to Play) is extremely long, which causes Media 100 to miss the targeted Timecodes quite often. You could download the V12.7.1 trial version to see if your problems are fixed there. FireWire HDV deck control should be much better.

Return to posts index

Jaeson KoszarskyRe: HDV Device Control Problems
by on Aug 26, 2008 at 4:39:18 pm

Can I safely install the trial version without disrupting our present version?

We are planning to upgrade our software in the not too distant future.

Thanks,
Jaeson

Return to posts index

Floh PetersRe: HDV Device Control Problems
by on Aug 26, 2008 at 4:42:26 pm

[Jaeson Koszarsky] "Can I safely install the trial version without disrupting our present version? "

That depends...

You need OSX 10.5.x for the latest version, and once you have saved a timeline in a newer version you cannot open it again in an older version. I would recommend having a second boot drive for testing and backup purposes. Install OSX 10.5.4 there, V12.7.1 and the Aja Kona 5.1.1NDD drivers there, and give it a try.

Return to posts index

David IsskoIf I might add
by on Aug 26, 2008 at 10:42:33 pm

I have a Sony HVR-1500 HDV edit recorder that works with the 9 pin control protocol. As Floh correctly pointed out, the time delay between FF/REW/Play can be quite long compared with Betacam recorder. My M100 V12.7.1/1500 recorder will often miss its mark on batch capture and not capture the clip, saying it could not find the timecode, when it is there all the time.

I notice that there is a fair amount of 'clunking' in my 1500 when it is being cued up, a function of the cost of the recorder vs a Betacam edit machine.

Please note that this does not happen all the time but it does happen even with the 'better' 9 pin protocol connection.

I never use FW so I cannot comment on that, but my point is that you may not fair any better than what your current setup is.

Would it not be a better option to invest (if needed) in some additional external hard drives (so cheap now) and capture in the full quality from the get go. I have been doing this for many years now without issue.

All the best
David Issko

Return to posts index

Floh PetersRe: If I might add
by on Aug 27, 2008 at 6:35:01 am

David,

If you are still seeing these problems with V12.7.1 the Media 100 guys have added some hidden prefs to adjust for these problems. If you are interested I can look it up how you can do that.

Return to posts index

David IsskoYes please
by on Aug 27, 2008 at 4:15:19 pm

Thanks Floh,
I wouldn't mind improving the batch redigitise operation as it has been a little annoying seeing it start ok, walking away to do another job ( always have a few projects on the go at once) and coming back to see 20% captured and the machine sitting there.
Would be great to learn about those hidden prefs.
Regards
David

Return to posts index

Floh PetersRe: Yes please
by on Aug 28, 2008 at 6:12:11 am

[David Issko] "Would be great to learn about those hidden prefs. "

Please contact me via mail at floh at mac dot com

Return to posts index

by on Aug 28, 2008 at 3:19:46 pm

Give the inherent problems with HDV & Media100HD control, it'd be nice to have a customizable retry option in the Batch ReAcquire window. I can get the media I want eventually by manually hit the acquire button a few times. If Media100HD could retry several times for me then I could walk away with more confidence.

BTW, I have improved my ReAcquisition success by changing the FF/REW SPEED setting on my Sony HDV deck from the default FF/REW (maximum speed without display picture) to SHUTTLEMAX (max speed with displaying picture).

It's not 100% but it has greatly reduced the reacquisition errors.

Jaeson

Return to posts index

Wickham StrubRe: HDV Device Control Problems
by on Aug 28, 2008 at 3:52:39 pm

Hi Jaeson,

What model of Sony HDV deck are you using? I just want to know so we can gather as much info as possible.

Also, you're right, a "Try again X number of times" option would be cool.

~Wick

Return to posts index

by on Aug 29, 2008 at 7:18:10 pm

We have a Sony HVR-M25U deck.

Jaeson

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]