MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

JPEG2000

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Twigt
JPEG2000
on Aug 19, 2008 at 12:16:08 pm

Has anybody any experience with the JPEG2000 codec in M100 HD? Mainly in respect to import times, how long will 1 minute 1080i take to import?

I am wondering if this could be good workflow beside the P2 workflow we've got going on here. With the introduction of the Elite HD recorder this codec could be a nice quality stepup from the DVProHD codec we're using at the moment. (shooting with HPX-500 cam)

It would be great if M100 would support this natively. Is there any chance on this?

Return to posts index

Floh Peters
Re: JPEG2000
on Aug 19, 2008 at 12:27:23 pm

[John Twigt] "Has anybody any experience with the JPEG2000 codec in M100 HD? Mainly in respect to import times, how long will 1 minute 1080i take to import? "

Why donĀ“t you just try it for yourself? Simply export a 1 minute clip from Media 100 into the JPEG2000 codec, and reimport it. Then you know the exact speed for your system and your setup.

[John Twigt] "It would be great if M100 would support this natively. Is there any chance on this?"

I guess from a technical point of view this should not be too difficult. But from the techsupport side this probably is not very likely to happen. Currently it looks like all camera and equipment manufacturers are selecting a "codec of the month" randomly, and to keep up with supporting all these codecs natively would require a lot of testing and optimization, where other features would suffer. And from what I see in the market, I guess support for native HDV/MPEG2 playback, although probably more complicated than JPEG2000, would be interesting to many more people. Still, if JPEG2000 support something that would be a huge improvement for you, you definitely should get in touch with the Media 100 guys. They are listening to their users.

Return to posts index

John Twigt
on Aug 19, 2008 at 12:47:21 pm

Hai Floh,

thanks for your quick reply, about the import; of course so simple, just dumb that I didn't think of it, i'll try it at once.
About the codecs, I know everybopdy his own codec, it's just that a NLE is a strong as its supported codecs, and I think JPEG2000 is a strong codec, especially with the processors being so fast at the moment. I'm looking for ways of avoiding the sometimes painstakingly slow imports of P2 files. And the Elite HD looks like a way out (with increased quality). I will contact M100 directly with my question, what would be the best way to do this in your opinion? I have written to them before on antother issue, but didn't get any reaction, though. Is there someone in charge of user input or something?

Much appreciated,

cheers

John Twigt
Workstation BV, Amsterdam
The Netherlands
http://www.workstation.nl

Return to posts index

Floh Peters
on Aug 19, 2008 at 1:12:06 pm

[John Twigt] "will contact M100 directly with my question, what would be the best way to do this in your opinion? I have written to them before on antother issue, but didn't get any reaction, though. Is there someone in charge of user input or something? "

I guess as you may have noticed the guys at Media 100 are monitoring this forum ;-)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]