MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Worst ever day with Media100

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Issko
Worst ever day with Media100
on Aug 18, 2008 at 1:46:20 pm

The only option left is to delete Media 100 & reinstall.

14 hrs earlier....
Acquired my HDV recorded footage via HDSDI with embedded audio from my HVR-1500 edit recorder into my MacPro 8 core quad 3GHz that I have had for a while. I capture to my CalDigit HDPro. Again never a problem. Always use HD ProRez 422HQ.

I do the same week in week out - no probs. Nothing changes. Except for today. Picture glitches GALORE. Even audio distortion and at time NO AUDIO!!! The capturing results were all over the place!
The tape recording plays just perfectly. I captured manually, batch captured, re captured - you name it, I did it. Tried HDV via firewire. No difference. Component HD - no difference. Nothing helped.

I could not work it out. Changed to another drive, trashed prefs, switched off then on again. New project. No matter what I did it was all the same. I even recorded the footage onto another tape. Still no good. Changed codecs, even downconverted - worse!!! Would not play at all!!!!!

Could the latest OS or QT versions played havoc with my 12.5.1 causing it to become corrupt? I don't recall downloading anything extaordinary - I'm very careful about that. I know the problems and how to fix them. I have had M100 for 13 years or so and NEVER encountered something as bad as this. I know the issues. Not this one though.

I have been working with HDSDI into M100 for about 1 1/2 years without problems.

So I think I have to uninstall M100 (save my project & bin files though) and start again.

If that fails, FCP capture & import into M100. Then get the Mac doctor in.

Anyone have any thoughts????

Thanks
David Issko

Return to posts index

Floh Peters
Re: Worst ever day with Media100
on Aug 18, 2008 at 1:54:38 pm

[David Issko] "Could the latest OS or QT versions played havoc with my 12.5.1 causing it to become corrupt? I don't recall downloading anything extaordinary - I'm very careful about that. I know the problems and how to fix them. I have had M100 for 13 years or so and NEVER encountered something as bad as this. I know the issues. Not this one though. "

This could be the reason, although I doubt it. As a test you could download the 12.7.1 trail version and install it to see if your problems go away with it. 12.7.1 has been approved with the latest OS and QT as far as I know (at least it is working for us). Only remember when installing 12.7.1 that you also have to install the latest Aja Kona driver for your card.
In case you have a FCP partition (it sounds like you have one), you could install the 12.7.1 there, since it does live nicely on the same partition as FCP and the Aja Kona drivers.
Btw, did you accidentally install the Kona drivers on your 12.5.1 partition? I think they could cause problems similar to the ones you are describing. Do a search in the Finder for Kona on your Media 100 startup volume.

Return to posts index

David Issko
on Aug 18, 2008 at 9:18:22 pm

I suppose anything could have corrupted M100, not necessarily OS or QT upgrade. I'm actually hoping and praying that (for whatever reason) my M100 is corrupted and an uninstall/install will fix the problem.
I imported some AE created movies into the same project. All imported, edited and played back perfectly.

I don't have my HD partitioned for dual boot. My reference to FCP was with my other computer system. Anyway, I remembered that after 12.7 install, M100 website explains about Kona driver install, and thanks very much for the reminder.

I will be trying the 12.7 upgrade, which from today will be a great asset as I am taking delivery of my PMW-EX3 XDCAM EX camera and XS17x Fujinon lens. Nothing like quick file importation!

Thanks for your input Floh and I will let you know how I go in the next few hours.

David Issko

Return to posts index

Floh Peters
on Aug 19, 2008 at 6:40:52 am

[David Issko] "Thanks for your input Floh and I will let you know how I go in the next few hours.
"

Keep us updated. Good luck with your search for the reason of your problems.

Return to posts index

David Issko
on Aug 19, 2008 at 8:04:37 am

Hi Floh,

No luck with 12.7.1 + Kona upgrades. Still not working. Pic breakup, audio issues, the works.

Looks like it could be a rare hardware problem or some other interfering/conflicting software.

I even created a new SD program from Digi Beta & still have the same pic breakups.

My supplier will follow this up tomorrow.

Best
David

Return to posts index

David Issko
Maybe some light
on Aug 19, 2008 at 11:17:51 am

I took delivery of my EX3 camera today. Didn't have time to use it as a camera but as a recording deck. HDV'd the tapes to SxS cards and then imported the clips into the M100 project. I think that the capture part of my M100 has the problem as I could not see the picture jump/breakup problems I have encountered the past 2 days. Maybe it's a hardware issue. But then again.....

A quick look after M100 imported the SxS clips showed no signs of breakup. It's a long way round BUT now that I have my EX3, I will be using it anyway. Still, must get the M100 fixed of course.

At least I can breath for now.
David

Return to posts index

Floh Peters
Re: Maybe some light
on Aug 19, 2008 at 11:31:36 am

One thing you could check to see if it is your hardware is to use QuickTime player as a recorder. If you have installed 12.7.1 and the Kona drivers, and if you have QuickTime Player Pro, you should be able to capture from the Kona card. Open QuickTime players Preferences, and set the correct input format under the "Recording" tab. Then choose "New Video Recording" from the menu and look if the signal that is coming in there is good.
From what you are describing I would guess it is actually your Kona board that is broken :-( But usually the Aja hardware techsupport is great, and you should be able to get a new board from them (or your reseller, not sure where you bought your setup). If you bought your system directly from Media 100 you also could get in touch with their techsupport; as far as I know the Kona boards come with a 3 year warranty.

Return to posts index

David Issko
Re: Maybe some light
on Aug 19, 2008 at 1:58:38 pm

Thanks for the info Floh.
I will try the QT recording. I am waiting for my M100 reseller to get back to me tomorrow.
It's a curly one, I tell you.

Best wishes
David

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]