MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

producer & hdv

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
brian johnston
producer & hdv
on Jul 29, 2008 at 9:26:59 pm

I've been trying to determine if media 100 producer can import and edit hdv footage via firewire? I read thru some threads here, but remain confused. I'm close to buying a canon hv30 and need to know if this is possible??? Media 100 claims it can, but the posts here lead me to think otherwise. Very confused!

brian.

Return to posts index

Floh Peters
Re: producer & hdv
on Jul 29, 2008 at 11:22:21 pm

Media 100 Producer (and the hardware systems) can acquire HDV via FireWire. The incoming HDV signal gets transferred in realtime (or via the "deferred" mode on older/slower systems) into a codec of your choice for editing.

Return to posts index

Chris Clephane
on Jul 29, 2008 at 11:40:11 pm

(empty post)

Return to posts index

Floh Peters
on Jul 30, 2008 at 12:10:43 am

Seems like Chris has removed his post... V12.7.1 of Producer does support HDV over FireWire.

Return to posts index

Andrew Mehta
on Aug 2, 2008 at 1:47:52 am

As far as I'm aware, it accepts HDV over Firewire,
but when you do your editing, it's in a different codec.

It used to be the case, however, that Producer only accepted HDV if you ran the program on a powerful enough Mac. So, for the most part, desktop users were okay, but laptop users couldn't do HDV with Media100 Producer.

Now, all Producer owners can run HDV into their system over firewire, and if their computer is too slow to convert the HDV to a different codec in real time, then you run the footage in first, and then it gets converted after.

So from what I gather, that means the Laptops that couldn't do it before, can now handle "deferred" HDV via Media100, which I presume means that the HDV goes into the laptop okay, but you have to wait a bit for a conversion to take place, before you can use it.

This is all just as I understand it, from reading other posts and asking around. I'm still running Media100i on OS9, so don't have first hand experience of the new software.

You can download a demo though, and see how capable it is for yourself.

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Aug 4, 2008 at 8:06:51 pm

Floh, does that mean you can master (via firewire) back to HDV tape?

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Chris Clephane
on Aug 5, 2008 at 8:14:29 pm

In regards to my earlier post that I removed.....(gotta triple-check before posting!)

Producer DOES support HDV....BUT! you HAVE to have the Quicktime HDV component installed on your system for the HDV input option to appear.

(( We do not work with HDV drivers/FCP/Premiere on all of our systems. One of our producer systems did not have FCP or Premiere installed on it...so HDV did NOT appear as a valid input option.
I wrote and retracted an earlier reply based on observations/experiences on THAT system...then quickly realized something was amiss in my observations....because all of our OTHER systems ARE HDV capable. It created some momentary confusion to say the least...)) Thanks Wick for the "missing nugget of information."

IMPORTANT: JUST installing producer is not enough to get HDV capability. Your camera's capture utility should (hopefully) install the Quicktime HDV component...
FCP and Premiere seem to install it as well.

-----------------------------------

HDV NATIVE editing.

This would also mean HDV print to tape. NO.
For clarity NO.

The Media100 app transcodes HDV to a more robust production codec on ingest/post-ingest.
There is NO Camera Native HDV (LONG GOP-MPEG2) data in the Media100 timeline to output back to tape.
You need a different program to edit your HDV footage natively and print back to tape in the HDV codec/flavor/variant your particular camera supports.

-----

Good luck.

I edit video. I post sometimes.
I fix things. I eat marshmallows.
I play drums. I drink scotch.
I like TV.

Done typing now.

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Aug 5, 2008 at 10:30:34 pm

So Chris, am I right in saying that with this 'HDV support' I am no better off than I currently am by pushing HDV media through the Convergent Design HD-Connect and editing in uncompressed 1920 X 1080i. I then either master to HDCAM for archive, downscale to DV and DVD for distribution and exhibition. I just thought that it might be useful to also obtain an HDV master to project in HD (more or less!) through one of the newer projectors that handle HD. Blu-Ray DVD's are obviously the answer when HD becomes the norm.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Chris Clephane
on Aug 6, 2008 at 3:40:01 am

On a faster system it would ELIMINATE your need to use the convergent box.
(The Media100 software performs the conversion from HDV to a "production codec" in realtime on ingest.) Your camera connected directly to the CPU via firewire in this scenario.

---

But yes, it seems if you are already using the convergent converter...then the new "HDV capture" support might provide you with little or no additional benefit. Anyone WITHOUT a convergent box however...gains some great new capabilities---> A highly simplified ingest workflow!

---

If you really want to split hairs....You might want to compare the results of the convergent box to the software only approach. Sometimes one can look better than the other depending on the particular source footage.
(My limited experience with the convergent box has produced STELLAR footage from HDV on the HDMI to HD-SDI signal path. We capture to ProRes 422 for most projects. Most of our HDV usage has been locked-down, daylight lit landscapes with minimal movement. This minimizes HDV's inherent weaknesses. We use P2 & HDCAM for our daily production.) Again your end quality will have a LOT to do with your subject matter, lighting, movement, and shooting style.

---

I still haven't met anyone yet who puts finished NATIVE HDV back to tape. (Most people we work with use it for low cost HD acquisition "C-Cameras" or for "throwaway cams" in dangerous POV/dusty/wet productions.) It gets converted to UC or ProRes on ingest and LONG GOP MPEG-2 never enters the workflow. The footage tapes go back in the library.

It seems like a really good cost-effective idea--especially if you also own one of the Mini decks. But again, my gut tells me you will need to investigate Premiere or FCP's capabilities to do that.

Good Luck.

I edit video. I post sometimes.
I fix things. I eat marshmallows.
I play drums. I drink scotch.
I like TV.

Done typing now.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]