MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

HDe or HD Suite?

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
CJ MacPhersonHDe or HD Suite?
by on Jul 15, 2008 at 5:00:37 pm

I am ready to upgrade from 8.2.3 and am trying to decide which to go with. Other than real time upconvert from SD to HD, what does HD Suite have that HDe does not? Is there a noticeable difference in upconverted SD footage and does it blend or match with original HD footage? Also, has timecode export been added? Thank you!

Return to posts index

Floh PetersRe: HDe or HD Suite?
by on Jul 15, 2008 at 6:12:19 pm

[CJ MacPherson] "I am ready to upgrade from 8.2.3 and am trying to decide which to go with. Other than real time upconvert from SD to HD, what does HD Suite have that HDe does not? Is there a noticeable difference in upconverted SD footage and does it blend or match with original HD footage? Also, has timecode export been added? Thank you!"

There are some additional advantages of the Kona3 over the LHe, but there are also advantages of the LHe. The Kona3 has the option to cross-convert footage (e.g. 720 to 1080 or SD 4:3 to 16:9) in hardware. Plus, technically it has the option to support dual-link (4:4:4) SDI and 2k playback, although it currently is not supported in Media 100. And from what I can tell the scalers are better than the ones on the LHe (for scaling HD to SD).
The LHe has the advantage that it supports analog video inputs, which are missing from the Kona3, plus it has analog audio out. And of course it is cheaper...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]