MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

P2 Import into M100 12.1.3

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gary Stone
P2 Import into M100 12.1.3
on Jul 15, 2008 at 3:37:50 am

Thanks in Advance for all the posts that I've been soaking up on the M-100 forum.

I'm new to the HD workflow with P2 media; I'm not having any luck ingesting into the M100. I've been a loyal user of M-100 and After Effects since the days of CoSA (even kept the dongle for nostalgia), so I've grown & evolved with the applications. I'm currently running with the HDe setup on 2 -3Gig Dual cores with 10.4.11. The HVX200 is recording to a 16Gig card, which is offloaded to a Nexto CF Ultra portable Firewire drive, then copied to the editing drives. I know that the files are good 'cuz they can play in After Effects.

So... when I go File>Import Panasonic P2 and navigate to the files, the Import dialogue box opens and displays the clip thumbnail, but the name, start time, Duration and Codec are italicized and unavailable. The comment under Codec reads, "Codec Not Installed 'dvh6' ".

In reading some of the posts, I thought I may have encountered the same issue of trying to ingest footage captured at 720p native. But the info I gathered showed the specs to be 720/59.94p. I also tried ingesting some footage at a different rate: 1080/59.94i. With both settings, no luck.

So this sounds like a matter of not having the right codec, but where does one get this? (And why is it not part of the application?)

Gary

Return to posts index

Floh Peters
Re: P2 Import into M100 12.1.3
on Jul 15, 2008 at 6:44:42 am

You can easily see if you have the codec installed by opening one of the media files in QuickTime Player. If it plays back there you are good to go. If not, the DVCProHD cpdecs are missing, which e.g. are a part of the FC Studio package. Unfortunately Apple does not distribute them separately, but since most people already have e.g. FCP it made no sense for Media 100 to rewrite their own DVCProHD codec.
If you do have the codec I would guess that the file structure of the P2 cards is not transferred correctly. If you want to copy your data from your P2 disc to another drive you need to copy everything including the whole folder structure, since Media 100 is looking for the additional data in the structure.

Return to posts index

Gary Stone
on Jul 15, 2008 at 2:03:48 pm

Thanks Floh...

Some additional info:

I'm currently running QT 7.4.1 (14), but I'm not able to open or play any P2 files in the QT application.

I did copy over the entire CONTENTS folder from the P2 card so everything is there and available.

I have been able to play the files in After Effects CS3.

I don't recall hearing/reading any information that you needed to acquire a codec from FCP in order to view the files in Media 100.

Hmmm..... So, where can one get this codec (without buying FC)?

Return to posts index

Floh Peters
on Jul 15, 2008 at 3:26:08 pm

[Gary Stone] "I don't recall hearing/reading any information that you needed to acquire a codec from FCP in order to view the files in Media 100.
"

It is in the documentation.

I can give you some additional informations if you contact me by mail.

Return to posts index

Vegar Aase
on Aug 28, 2008 at 3:53:47 pm

Please help

I cant import P2 files into media 100 suite
I can see the clip but the import buttom is dimmed..
Size 1080i
I am running a AJAKONA LHe card in a Power mac
The P2 clips is plaing in the Quick Time player.
But the DVCPRO HD-codec is dimmed in the media 100
Do i need a DVCPRO HD-codec and where can I get it..
What is the problem?
I have to finish this project to day.. Please hurry!

Vegar Aase

Return to posts index

Wickham Strub
on Aug 28, 2008 at 5:48:05 pm

Vegar,

A bunch of questions that may point to the problem...

- Is the DVCPROHDCodec.component located at MacHD>Library>QuickTime? Probably, because you can play them in QT Player.

- What versions of software are you using? MacOS? M100? QT? DVCPROHDcodec.component?

- Are you using the "Import Panasonic P2" choice in the Media 100 File Menu?

- Are the files DEFINITELY 1080i?

- What is the Frame Rate?

Return to posts index

Michael Todd Thorpe
on Jul 15, 2008 at 3:27:58 pm

Hi Gary,

We're running P2 here at the station... I want to reiterate what Floh said. You need that original file structure from the P2 card. When we ingest, we mount the P2 card and ingest right from that. I think this is what your problem is. The M100 will copy those files to the media array that you specify in the preferences and then load them into the bin. I should recommend that when you import you turn off any unwanted audio channels in the import dialog (usually there are four) as they just add to the confusion...

Hope this helps.

Todd

Michael Todd Thorpe
Producer/Director
KUVI TV45

2 M100i's, 1 M100HDe, 1 M100HDx,

Return to posts index

Gary Stone
on Jul 16, 2008 at 6:09:04 pm

Thanks Michael...

I did copy over the entire CONTENTS folder, but still wasn't enough. Fortunately, Floh had some good "suggestions" that worked! ;-)

Gary

Return to posts index

Gary Stone
on Jul 16, 2008 at 6:04:39 pm

Hey Floh...

Thanks again for the additional info on how to get the P2 into my M100.

You also mentioned that I should be able to play it in a QT player, but so far I haven't had success doing that (even with the codecs installed). An error message keeps coming back saying it's not a movie file. Is there a different procedure for opening it in QT?

Gary

Return to posts index

Floh Peters
on Jul 16, 2008 at 8:19:07 pm

[Gary Stone] "You also mentioned that I should be able to play it in a QT player, but so far I haven't had success doing that (even with the codecs installed). An error message keeps coming back saying it's not a movie file. Is there a different procedure for opening it in QT?
"

You´re right, you cannot open the MXF files in QuickTime player. Once they are imported into Media 100 they are Quicktime files, though, which you can open in all QT applications. The video content of the XMFs is unmodified, only "rewrapped" into a QuickTime format.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]