MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Has Michael's dream come true?

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrew MehtaHas Michael's dream come true?
by on Jul 9, 2008 at 10:14:27 pm

...something about XDCAM just landed in my inbox. =P

^_^ Or is XDCAMEX something else entirely?

Anyway....I'm off to see what deferred HDV is. =P ^_^

Return to posts index

Michael SloweRe: Has Michael's dream come true?
by on Jul 10, 2008 at 11:51:26 am

Now Ajmetz, has a pretty girl arrived on my doorstep or are you referring to Media 100 giving news on supporting XDCAM Ex media? I can't quite follow your hints and can see nothing elsewhere, can you enlighten me?

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Floh PetersRe: Has Michael's dream come true?
by on Jul 10, 2008 at 1:18:58 pm

[Michael Slowe] "Now Ajmetz, has a pretty girl arrived on my doorstep or are you referring to Media 100 giving news on supporting XDCAM Ex media? I can't quite follow your hints and can see nothing elsewhere, can you enlighten me?"

12.7 with XDCam support has been released.

Return to posts index

Michael SloweRe: Has Michael's dream come true?
by on Jul 10, 2008 at 9:05:49 pm

Thanks Floh, this seems to have happened very quietly with no fanfare at all. I have asked my supplier for details as I suspect I will need the Mac Pro (I am still on the HDx board). What do you make of Chris's criticism of the downscale quality? I have always found the Media 100 downscale to be as good as the one on BitVice, I hope that Innobits new updates have maintained the quality.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Floh PetersRe: Has Michael's dream come true?
by on Jul 10, 2008 at 9:20:25 pm

[Michael Slowe] "Thanks Floh, this seems to have happened very quietly with no fanfare at all. I have asked my supplier for details as I suspect I will need the Mac Pro (I am still on the HDx board)."

There has been a customer mailing yesterday, plus the usual press releases (e.g. on the Cow) and the update on the website. V12.7 does run on Intel and PPC, and it supports HDx as well as Aja boards. It requires a new encryption code, though, so you need to contact support with your Product ID (given from the 12.7 Try and Buy version) to unlock it after the 14 day trial.
I am not 100% sure about the necessary XDCam transfer software (which can be downloaded from Sonys website; there is a tutorial on the M100 homepage), but I think it will work both on PPC and Intel, so you should be good to go. At least the Sony specs say that it will run on PPC. Give it a try...

Return to posts index

Chris StevensRe: Has Michael's dream come true?
by on Jul 10, 2008 at 11:56:15 am

Thank you Media 100. Seamless import with XDCAM EX at last! Very elegant... Only gripe I have is the quality of conforming HD clips to SD - looks soft, much softer than digitising via SDI from the camera?
Any comments or suggestions welcome!

G5 dual 2.7, OS10.5.1, 4G RAM
Media100 HD V12 & Producer, AE 7
5.6 terra RAID

Return to posts index

Wickham StrubSoftness when down-scaling
by on Jul 11, 2008 at 8:53:50 pm

Hi Chris,

The softness you're describing is concerning and we're looking into it. However, your post states you've got a G5. If that's so, are you using an HDx card? If you are, then capturing via HD-SDI and down-converting during acquire is definitely the best way to ensure image quality. The scalers on those cards are a big part of the reason that we couldn't afford to make them anymore!

~Wick

Return to posts index

Chris StevensRe: Softness when down-scaling
by on Jul 12, 2008 at 8:25:15 am

Wick,

Indeed I have an HDx card. I must apologise for posting my "Softness" issue before completing the tests.
There certainly is a difference between system downconverted HD > SD material & SDI/HDx converted clips. The latter being superior, especially regarding aliasing. However, the result of my first test was evaluated on the Producer LCD monitor viewer, which certainly made the SD downconvert look soft. But playing the same file via the G5/HDx system & on a Sony BVM monitor - the clips looked sharp BUT with noticeable aliasing, compared with the original HD clips.

G5 dual 2.7, OS10.5.1, 4G RAM
Media100 HD V12 & Producer, AE 7
5.6 terra RAID

Return to posts index

Andrew MehtaDeferred HDV
by on Jul 25, 2008 at 5:43:26 am

What is deferred HDV btw?
Am I right to assume it's running the footage in, and then once in, rendering it into another codec before use?

Return to posts index

Floh PetersRe: Deferred HDV
by on Jul 25, 2008 at 6:39:29 am

[Andrew Mehta] "What is deferred HDV btw? "

Deferred HDV acquire was introduced for older Macs and Laptops, that can not transcode the incoming HDV streams in realtime. So instead of transcoding while acquiring it acquires the HDV streams first and converts them then into your codec of choice for editing.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]