MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Media 100i to DVD Studio Pro

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robert Kopf
Media 100i to DVD Studio Pro
on Jul 2, 2008 at 3:09:26 am

I just read the posts on this subject, and found the most recent to be dated back in 2006. I am using a Media 100i 8.2 system, and want to do DVD authoring in the current version of Final Cut Studio 2 (DVD Studio 4, I believe). I have never used FCS2 or DSP4, but just bought the suite and will install it on a 2.8 GHz Core 2 Duo iMac tomorrow. What I'd like to know is what's the best way to get my Media 100 programs into DVD Studio Pro? Should I export by reference, use BitVise, etc., or is there now a better choice. Also I'm running the Media 100i on an old Mac G4 under Mac OS 10.2, and the FCS2 machine is running OS X 10.5. Should I get BitVise 2 and run it on the new iMac, or the older version for the G4?

Return to posts index

Floh Peters
Re: Media 100i to DVD Studio Pro
on Jul 2, 2008 at 6:19:48 am

Since your Media 100 version has not been updated in years, the "old" article is still valid for your system. And, yes, if you want a great result, BitVice is still the way to go. The only real question is where you want to encode, on your G4 or on your iMac. I would recommend doing the encoding on the iMac, since it will be MUCH faster with the new BitVice 2. But one thing you then have to do is to bring your material over to the iMac, either via Network or via e.g. a FireWire drive, which will take longer than only a by-ref export. If you want to bring it over to the iMac I would recommend a "self contained" export from Media 100 i instead of the by-ref export, since you will get a QuickTime with your whole material. If you do the export to a FireWire drive you can use as a transfer disk, you could simply bring the disk over to the iMac and do the encoding there.
Make sure that you download the Intel-compatible Media 100 codecs from the Media 100 website (found under Support->Download->V12+). Or, if you want to do yourself a favor, get a copy of Media 100 Producer for the iMac to see the benefits of the new releases.

Return to posts index

Robert Kopf
on Jul 2, 2008 at 2:20:59 pm

Thanks for the reply. Can you elaborate on what you mean by "self contained" export? What choices, settings, etc. do I make? And can I get by with BitVice Lite?

Return to posts index

Floh Peters
on Jul 2, 2008 at 8:06:21 pm

I mean self contained as in Export the clip as "Self Contained" instead of "By Reference". By Ref exports create a file which is small and points at your original media files. Self Contained exports contain the actual media files and don´t rely on linking to your original media files.

[Robert Kopf] "And can I get by with BitVice Lite?"

If you want to create DVDs with a great image quality? No. If you want to create DVDs with bad image quality, you can even get by with Compressor.

Return to posts index

Robert Kopf
on Jul 3, 2008 at 1:15:35 am

Yes I get the part about it being self-contained so as to contain the actual media files. But as I recall, there are many different choices, Quicktime movie, 3G, AVI, DV Stream, etc. Are you saying that I should just select "Self-Contained Movie?" Are there any other things to select like quality choices or whatever?

Sorry to be such a newbie. But this is the first time in all the years I've been working with Media 100 (I go all the way back to the 2.6 Nubus systems) that I've ever done anything but master back to tape. So I just take the resulting files over to my new iMac where I will have installed the Media 100 codec (which one?) and run them through BitVise 2 to produce MPEG-2 files that can then be used in DVD Studio Pro, right?

I might "do myself a favor" as you suggest, and get Media 100 Producer. But for the life of me, I can't imagine anything it could do for me that I can't do with Media 100i 8.2. Since I work pretty much exclusively from Beta SP tapes, and use only cuts and dissolves, what new features could I want?

As for Bitvise Light only being capable of bad image quality, why do they make such a product?

Return to posts index

Floh Peters
on Jul 3, 2008 at 6:27:54 am

[Robert Kopf] "Yes I get the part about it being self-contained so as to contain the actual media files. But as I recall, there are many different choices, Quicktime movie, 3G, AVI, DV Stream, etc. Are you saying that I should just select "Self-Contained Movie?" Are there any other things to select like quality choices or whatever? "

If you look at the "Export from Edit Suite…" dialog, you will see options for export: Self-Contained, By Reference and Other. For Self Contained and By Ref you don´t have additional quality/size/whatever options.

[Robert Kopf] "As for Bitvise Light only being capable of bad image quality, why do they make such a product?"

I did not say that BitVice light will only create bad image quality, I said if you want to create DVDs with bad image quality you could use Compressor. One of the most important features of BitVice, the DVNC noise reduction is missing from Light. Plus, the light version is based on the "older" 1.8 version of the software and is therefore not optimized for Intel-Macs, which means it will be much slower.
If you really want to save the money, try some encoding with Compressor first, and try to adjust your brightness/contrast/saturation/gamma levels to somehow match your incoming video (Compressor does not support Media 100s RGB 16-235 colorspace). Download a trial version of BitVice and look if the difference in image quality is worth the money for you.

Return to posts index

Robert Kopf
on Jul 3, 2008 at 3:14:09 pm

Thanks. You're right of course. I should have looked at that again before asking that.

Do you know where the document referred to in this old post went? Is it still relevant to my situation?

----------------------------------------------------------------
Re: Exporting Media100i v.8.2.1 programs out to DVD Studio Pro 4
by Floh on Jul 19, 2005 at 11:46:48 am

Take a look at this document. There more or less everything is explained and still true for DVDSP4. I would suggest installing the software codec to lower rendering times and to avoid problems. Then you don
----------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Robert Kopf
on Jul 3, 2008 at 5:21:20 am

I found and downloaded the Media 100 codec for intel Macs. I'll order BitVise.

Return to posts index

Robert Kopf
on Jul 5, 2008 at 1:31:42 am

Well I WOULD order the BitVise product (after trying the demo), if their website would accept my e-mail address. Apparently they don't consider e-mail addresses at hotmail.com to be "official" enough! I can't even e-mail them a message saying that I don't have any other e-mail addresses. I'll be damned if I'm going to go buy a domain name just to be "official" enough to order from some rinky-dink compression product company.

Return to posts index

Floh Peters
on Jul 5, 2008 at 8:52:31 am

You mean you cannot download the demo because of your Hotmail address? This would definitely not be a good idea from them. I will get in touch with the developer to see what is going on there. I´ll let you know.

Return to posts index

Rob Kopf
on Jul 8, 2008 at 11:36:47 am

I hate to bother you. But I'd really like to be able to contact them. I'm ready to buy the product based on your recommendation, but would really like to try it once first, to see what results I can expect. Have you contacted them yet? No reply?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Floh Peters
on Jul 8, 2008 at 5:48:08 pm

[Rob Kopf] "ave you contacted them yet? No reply? "

My contact at Innobits is currently not in the office, but he promised me to get back to you as soon as he is back.

Return to posts index

Floh Peters
on Jul 9, 2008 at 6:19:04 am

[Rob Kopf] "I hate to bother you. But I'd really like to be able to contact them. I'm ready to buy the product based on your recommendation, but would really like to try it once first, to see what results I can expect. Have you contacted them yet? No reply?
"

Got a mail from them that they have changed their code, and now your mail address should work. Their server has been under some sort of hacking attack for quite a while, so they had to create some security barriers, it seems. They are now trying it without the email verification for some time to see how this works for them. So give it a try...

Return to posts index

Rob Kopf
on Jul 9, 2008 at 2:17:19 pm

Thanks! I downloaded the demo. But when I try to open a "self-contained" movie exported from the Media 100 edit suite, I get an input error "Could not get CFString." Do you know what that problem is? I can't find any mention of it in their user's guide, FAQ or in google searches.

Return to posts index

Rob Kopf
on Jul 9, 2008 at 6:21:18 pm

I got this answer from Roger Andersson:

"QuickTime cannot find the file. Try changing the name of the file or move it to somehwere else."

I renamed the file to something short, and moved it to the desktop. Then it had no problem.

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Jul 5, 2008 at 10:06:37 am

Robert, I wouldn't be too 'snooty' about BitVice, it's bloody marvellous and the company Innobits in Sweden do a great job. Wait 'til you use it, you'll see.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Robert Kopf
on Jul 5, 2008 at 1:59:25 pm

I don't care how good their stuff is. I will not go get a different e-mail address just because they don't like hotmail. That is simply ridiculous and unacceptable.

Return to posts index

Norman Lloyd
on Jul 5, 2008 at 7:00:38 pm

Michael,
I noticed your response to a posting in 2007 regarding viewing XDCAMEX files in Quick Time and was wondering if there is a XDCAMEX codex for Quick Time? Or is there some other way to go about viewing XDCAMEX?
with appreciation
Norm
Thanks again

Return to posts index

Robert Kopf
on Jul 5, 2008 at 7:35:43 pm

I don't think that was me. I've never even heard of XDCAMEX.

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Jul 6, 2008 at 2:55:28 pm

Norm, it was me. First of all we should tell Robert that we are talking about the new Sony EX1 camera which is part of the XDCAM family and records to S X S cards and the acquisition of this media into Media 100 is causing us(and particularly their engineers)problems. There was suggested an interim solution by using the Sony Clip Browsing software to convert the media into .mov I think and then using QT to get it into Media 100. I believe however that the software can only be used with the Mac Pro (Intel) which I don't have. Anyhow I abandoned this approach and currently shoot in HDV mode (which I then convert to HD) for editing in Media 100. All EX1 users who edit in Media 100 hope (and expect) that by the end of the year a proper solution will have been provided to handle media in full HD from the cards. Currently it is possible to take HD as video directly from the camera through the SDI out but the audio is embedded.

Norm, does that answer your question?

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Rob Kopf
on Jul 6, 2008 at 3:43:42 pm

Well thanks for the thought. But I'd prefer that this thread not be hijacked into a discussion of anything of the sort. As for me, I have no interest in it. I'll never shoot anything from the XDCAM family, quite possibly never anything HD at all, certainly never HDV. In any case, I think it would be appropriate for you guys to start a new thread.

Return to posts index

Rob Kopf
on Jul 8, 2008 at 11:40:46 am

If I were to get Media 100 Producer for the iMac, would there be any way to get some form of I/O hooked up to it so that I could feed timecode in and out (using maybe just LTC on an audio track) to synchronize my audio/music workstation, or would I have to buy a "real" version of Media 100 in order to do that?

Return to posts index

Rob Kopf
on Jul 10, 2008 at 3:12:13 am

Nobody?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]