MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Apple ProRes422 issue

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Fermin Branger
Apple ProRes422 issue
on Jun 23, 2008 at 5:29:35 am

Hi, I need some help.
I'm trying to import and work with (FinalCut 6 acq media from HDCAM SR) ProRes 422 HQ clips, with my Media100 HDe 12.5.1 but I can see anything (except double clicking into quicktime 7.5).

Thanks,

Fermín Branger.
Alfareria Cinematografica
Caracas, Venezuela.

Return to posts index

Floh Peters
Re: Apple ProRes422 issue
on Jun 23, 2008 at 8:44:08 am

[Fermin Branger] "I'm trying to import and work with (FinalCut 6 acq media from HDCAM SR) ProRes 422 HQ clips, with my Media100 HDe 12.5.1 but I can see anything (except double clicking into quicktime 7.5). "

Do you mean that you cannot import them into Media 100? They should "fast import", doing only a small "updating Media" process when e.g. dragging them into a bin. Or are they in an unusual size (only 1080i/p and 720i/p plus of course SD resolutions are supported in Media 100).
Do you get any error message?

Return to posts index

Fermin Branger
on Jun 23, 2008 at 1:48:26 pm

Thanks Floh,
It appear to be inported after (as you said) a small update, but I only get a black clip with sound.
I still have dual boot configuration, and I've copied only Apple ProRes.Component into my Library's Quicktime folder (as I did with DVCPRO HD and HDV codecs in the past).
What do you think?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Floh Peters
on Jun 23, 2008 at 4:43:14 pm

[Fermin Branger] "It appear to be inported after (as you said) a small update, but I only get a black clip with sound.
I still have dual boot configuration, and I've copied only Apple ProRes.Component into my Library's Quicktime folder (as I did with DVCPRO HD and HDV codecs in the past).
What do you think? "

Hmmm, that should work. If you open the clip in QuickTime player and look at the info window, what pixel dimensions does it report there? And the imported file in Media 100, what does it say in Bin List view under Codec and under Frame Size?
Do you have the option of posting a small sample file somewhere, e.g. on an FTP server for me to have a look at it?

Return to posts index

Fermin Branger
on Jun 23, 2008 at 7:15:49 pm

The pixel dimensions are the same (1920x1080). The codec too (Apple ProRes 422 HQ).
I've made some import tests changing the import codec (ProRes 422, ProRes 422 HQ, Media100 HD, DVCPRO HD, Motion JpegB (trying to force some kind of render), but I only get 422 and 422 HQ.
By the way, Ive tryed several times to import a short clip that I saw in Qtm without trouble, but Media100 always crashes (after trying to render (??), saying:

Error: -157
Sockt: 0
File: Compressor_engine
Line 505
Hard. Rev. 1

Return to posts index

Floh Peters
on Jun 23, 2008 at 8:39:15 pm

[Fermin Branger] "I've made some import tests changing the import codec (ProRes 422, ProRes 422 HQ, Media100 HD, DVCPRO HD, Motion JpegB (trying to force some kind of render), but I only get 422 and 422 HQ. "

If you want to do a "slow import" (conversion to the selected codec) there is a checkbox at the bottom of the import window saying something like "import into selected codec and format". If you check this box, the material should import into your selected codec.

Anyway, there is something not working as expected. If you do see the image in Quicktime player, you should see it in Media 100 if it fast-imports. What framerate does your material have?

Do you have a chance of uploading a sample file somewhere?

Return to posts index

Fermin Branger
on Jun 24, 2008 at 4:35:17 pm

Hi Floh,
thanks for your attention.
I'm working with 23.97 media. It was originated in a Sony F-23 camera (444) and acquired in AppleProres to edit and then re-acquire later.
I'm the postproduction supervisor of this feature project, that will be edited in final cut.
Because of I'm editing with Media100 since 14 years ago, and I love it, I prefer to check media, do editing test an so, in my Media100 instead of finalcut. It works well, no doubt about it, but I feel that it's like a swiss army knife with fork and spoon and compass... you have everything you need to eat and do the job, but it would be so annoying...

I've sent you a short sample of media (to your Magic Eye email address).
I hope that this allow you to lightme in this matter

Thanks,

Fermin Branger

Return to posts index

Floh Peters
on Jun 24, 2008 at 9:34:14 pm

Fermin,

one issue is (or could be) that your media seems to report a strange framerate, at least the short clip you sent me. If you look at the framerate in QuickTime player it reports 22.80 fps; this makes the clip "slow import" into my system (it imports but gets converted to the selected coded). The framerate could be different for your longer clips, so they could fast-import.
From what I heard the reason for your Error -157 Line 505 could be related to the fact that you don´t have the Apple Uncompressed 422 component installed. Did you move the Uncompressed codec over from your FCP partition? If not, try it, maybe this fixes (at least a part of) your problems.

Return to posts index

Fermin Branger
on Jun 25, 2008 at 4:47:37 pm

Thanks Again Floh,
You´re right, I was looking at the frame rates into the Qtm info window and all clips have different frame rates, between 22.79 and 23.92!!!, is that normal with AppleProRes?? That seems so dangerous...
I don't know the reason of that, it suppouse that will be 23.976 fps (like camera setting).
Is the first time that I work with AppleProRes422. I was so cunfused because of the audio was out of sinc in all media that I received from the studio. But I did "slow" import and I get perfect sinc at 23.98 into my Media100.
Today I will install FC studio 2 into my boot disk using the new AJA's retail driver. I hope to fast import all media without -157 error... I will receive the FCP acquire project to check it too.
Thanks again for your attention.
Best regards,
Fermin

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]