MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

digitizing 16x9 to 4x3lb on 8.2.3

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
noah wight
digitizing 16x9 to 4x3lb on 8.2.3
on Jun 19, 2008 at 8:20:08 pm

So doing a promo vid for a local nonprofit and they have given me mini dv tapes with separate tapes shot in 16x9 and 4x3 all sd. I've followed the other related threads but am hoping for some new insight. Rather then trying to convert the footage via Boris Red or Ae as has been suggested in other posts, I would love to find a way to trick the footage on the way in by taking the letterboxed playback from the deck and digitizing it as 4x3 to master the entire project as 4x3. I have a JVC SR-DVM70 deck, a sony gvd1000 deck and a couple Cannon XL-1's to try this with. anyone have any insight as to how I use any of these decks/cams to convert the 16x9 to 4x3lb on digitizing? This is of course a free job so I don't have much time to convert or import etc. All help would be greatly appreciated.
-----
Noah Wight
CBTV10
http://www.CBTV.tv

Return to posts index

Floh Peters
Re: digitizing 16x9 to 4x3lb on 8.2.3
on Jun 19, 2008 at 10:14:47 pm

If you can set one of the decks to play back your material as letterboxed you should have no problem in digitizing it as letterboxed footage. I donĀ“t know your decks, so I cannot tell you if it is possible.

Return to posts index

noah wight
on Jun 20, 2008 at 4:19:00 pm

Yeah, that's really the question short of a new work around in m100. i just can't seem to figure it out and really polling the knowledge base to see if anyone knows how to set a deck to do it.

Return to posts index

Maxwell Federman
on Jun 29, 2008 at 5:11:12 am

Hi

I have encountered this same problem. Most miniDV devices do not letterbox via firewire output; so you'd have to make an analog pass into the vincent box.
Here's my trick to keep it digital: pass the 16:9 dv firewire into a DVHS HD/SD deck. In the settings menu of the DVHS, set the system to SD, then set output to letterbox in the 4:3 section of the tv type dialog. You may need 4-pin to 6-pin cables or adapters to pull this off but it works great. Don;t forget to disable device control!
As a longtime Beta user and proponent, I hate to admit I touch DVHS but as a home format I think its in a league of its own. I haven't used one to record any HD because we got some HDV decks early on, but as a signal converter they work great.
If anyone else knows another way to letterbox within a firewire connection please let me know!

Best wishes,

Max Federman

Return to posts index

noah wight
on Jun 29, 2008 at 1:46:42 pm

Max- This is exactly the work around I'm looking for but I know almost nothing about d-vhs and a search revealed some pretty old info. What deck are you using?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]