MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

HD codecs question

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Hanish
HD codecs question
on May 21, 2008 at 12:26:26 pm

Greetings from sunny (at the moment) southern Vermont!
I'm ramping up for a documentary that will be in HD 1080i, with some archival footage uprezzed (through the Kona3) from SD sources, and I'm trying to get a handle on which HD codec might be the best to use for the project. I'm doing various tests myself, but I wanted to see what people's experiences and preferences are. Media100HD coded? ProRes HQ? DVCProHD? and why?
Shooting will be primarily on Sony's EX1 with probably some second camera from the HVX200.
Many thanks in advance.
all the best,
Michael

Return to posts index

Floh Peters
Re: HD codecs question
on May 21, 2008 at 1:34:26 pm

I tend to work in ProRes HQ. The advantage over DVCProHD is that it is a full raster (1920*1080) codec. DVCProHD gets upscaled from I think 1440*1080 to 1920*1080, which means you would lose resolution.
Of course you also could work in Media 100 HD codec, which is uncompressed, but then you need much and fast storage. ProRes is much less demanding in this area.
If you are shooting your additional material on P2/HVX200 you can keep the files coming from this camera in their DVCProHD codec, though, since you would not gain any resolution by upconverting (assuming you are shooting 1080i).

Return to posts index

Michael Hanish
on May 22, 2008 at 12:49:43 pm

Floh,

Thanks for your advice, I always value and respect your opinions here and elsewhere. I have been leaning toward ProRes as well, I have a fast MacPro 8 core, so that should be no problem.
Another, slightly related question, if I may?
This project will be delivered in NTSC HD, but a number of the interviews and some b-roll will be shot in Europe and Asia. What should I be watching out for, lighting wise, in the sense of flicker from 50 Hz lights recorded on 60 Hz equipment?
I'm at the moment planning to take LED lights, small LitePanels and Zylight hopefully, as weight and portability are big issues, mainly because the EX1 does so smashingly well with available light. I know flourescents are to be avoided, but are there other flicker dangers lurking?
Again, thanks for the advice.
best,

Michael

Return to posts index

David Issko
on May 23, 2008 at 12:19:38 am

Hi Michael,

I too use ProRez codec, even though I have a Caldigit HDPro tower that can handle uncompressed HD. Very solid, very stable with my 8 core macpro.

David

Return to posts index

Michael Hanish
on May 23, 2008 at 1:11:08 pm

David,

Thanks for the input. I also am using CalDigit's tower and have been really impressed with it. I think I will be using ProRes for this project unless some new info comes up.
all the best,

Michael

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]