MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

MacPro Processor Speed

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason TowerMacPro Processor Speed
by on May 20, 2008 at 4:51:57 pm

We are finally upgrading our company to Media 100 Suite and will be using it with the Kona LHe card. My main question is regarding the different MacPro processor speeds (the new Harpertown processors) and how they will perform with our Media 100. For budget reasons, I am looking into the 2.8GHz 8-core system, and I'm planning on upping the RAM from 2GB to 6GB. How much of a difference would I see in overall performance in the M100 system with the faster processors, or will the 2.8GHz be sufficient? Also, is the 6GB a good number for RAM or should I go higher (at what point is it overkill?)?

In addition, will I see any benefit in upgrading the stock graphics card (ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT 256MB) to the NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 512MB?

Thanks so much in advance for your help!

Return to posts index

Floh PetersRe: MacPro Processor Speed
by on May 20, 2008 at 6:12:34 pm

We bought 3 of the 2.8GHz systems, because we decided for us it was not worth to upgrade to 3.0 or 3.2GHz. I think you would not notice any difference (or only very small ones) in Media 100 anyway; maybe in AE with multiprocessor rendering or 3D apps.
I think 6GB is good for Media 100; again, if you are doing a lot of AE work and if you use Nucleo Pro you probably would want to upgrade to 8GB or more.
We decided to stay with the ATI cards, since they are fine for Media 100. Plus, the ATI cards are better for Apple Color than the NVidia, and that was important for us. If you want to drive 2 30" Cinema displays or if you are doing a lot of 3D you probably want a bigger card, but for editing, AE, Color, Shake and similar apps the "small" ATI card is fine.

Return to posts index

Jason TowerRe: MacPro Processor Speed
by on May 20, 2008 at 6:17:24 pm

Great! Thanks so much for the helpful advice and quick response Floh!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved