MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Media100 and FCP on New macpro????

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Abolt
Media100 and FCP on New macpro????
on May 15, 2008 at 8:33:23 pm

Hi all, jumping back on the Media100 train. I have a new mac pro dual quad with kona 3 and atto single fiber channel card with fx5600 Gfx card. I want to run FCP and Media100HD Suite. Any issues or special considerations I need to know when setting up the Kona or slot order configurations I need to know about.

Thanks i advance for the help
Chris

Chris Abolt
Motion designer
Abolt Media

Return to posts index

Floh Peters
Re: Media100 and FCP on New macpro????
on May 15, 2008 at 8:49:10 pm

Put the FibreChannel card into Slot 4, the Kona into Slot 3. You should create different startup partitions for Media 100 and FCP, since the FCP and Media 100 Kona drivers currently cannot be installed at the same time. Otherwise it is pretty straightforward. If you have specific questions, let us know.

Return to posts index

Gregg Michaels
on May 16, 2008 at 12:36:18 am

I have this setup on a new mac pro, and it's working flawlessly. You can even install the Media100 codecs on to your FCP partition for easier transition between the systems.

GM

Return to posts index

Chris Abolt
on May 16, 2008 at 1:37:28 pm

Floh, I should also mention we are running leopard on this machine. Also, I need some clarification on a few things. Are you suggesting a dual boot system with FCP on one side of the partition and Media100 the other? Does this mean I need to install the other (AE, PSD Ill) apps on both sides of the partition? Or is it as simple as partitioning the system drive so both NLE'S can reside without seeing each others drivers.

Would it be better to call and work out some of the details

Any help would be great
Chris

Chris Abolt
Motion designer
Abolt Media

Return to posts index

Floh Peters
on May 16, 2008 at 2:35:46 pm

[Chris Abolt] "Floh, I should also mention we are running leopard on this machine. Also, I need some clarification on a few things. Are you suggesting a dual boot system with FCP on one side of the partition and Media100 the other? Does this mean I need to install the other (AE, PSD Ill) apps on both sides of the partition? Or is it as simple as partitioning the system drive so both NLE'S can reside without seeing each others drivers."

Leopard is fine, both for FCP and for Media 100.
The dual-boot option (either via 2 partitions on the same drive or by 2 different drives) is needed to keep the drivers apart. What we usually do is to set up one partition first (e.g. the Media 100 partition), with all software including FCP and the whole Adobe stuff. Then we do activate all apps and make sure everything is registered correctly. Then we do a clone via Carbon Copy Cloner to the second drive, and install the Aja Kona drivers there. They will automatically replace the Aja OEM drivers used by Media 100, and all your activations will stay intact. This way you have all your software on both partitions, and additionally you also have a backup drive in case one of your drives goes bad. You could simply clone back from the other drive and install the missing drivers (either reinstall Media 100 or the Aja Kona drivers).

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]