MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

OT- XDCAM EX

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kieran Matthew
OT- XDCAM EX
on May 15, 2008 at 3:44:05 pm

Hi Folks,

Sorry for the off-topic post, but I'd like to pick the brains of people who are using XDcam EX. Would anyone be able to chat off list?

c o w greengecko dot tv

Many thanks!

K

Return to posts index

Chris Stevens
Re: OT- XDCAM EX
on May 16, 2008 at 12:50:30 pm

No problem.
chris@waterlineproductions.co.uk

G5 dual 2.7, OS10.5.1, 4G RAM
Media100 HD V12 & Producer, AE 7
5.6 terra RAID

Return to posts index

Michael Hanish
on May 16, 2008 at 1:34:29 pm

Likewise, drop a line:
michael@freelunchmedia.com

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on May 16, 2008 at 8:09:30 pm

Kieran, why off list may I ask, the EX1 question is a burning one and I, for one, would love to know what other users of this camera are doing and what Media 100 are doing.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Kieran Matthew
on May 16, 2008 at 10:17:51 pm

Hi Michael,

[Michael Slowe] "Kieran, why off list may I ask"

It was just that I wanted some specific info about the workflow without it bogging down the Media 100 forum. Chatting informally off-list just seemed more appropriate.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on the subject though, so perhaps we could open this up to general discussion?

K

P.S. Thanks also to Chris & Michael (H) for your info - it was much appreciated!

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on May 17, 2008 at 9:26:30 am

It's just that I was reluctant to post my E Mail address publicly since I already get so much spam as I suppose we all do, how do they get our addresses?

My current workflow with media from the EX1 is to shoot in SP mode (which is HDV 1440 / 1080i) for the simple reason that although 1920 / 1080 video can go from the camera into Media 100 via the SDI out it has the audio embedded and my version 12.1.1 can only take embedded audio in SD. So I convert the HDV (Convergent Design HD-Connect) to HD for editing in Media 100.

That is why I'm, in common with many other new EX1 users,very keen to learn how Media 100 are getting on with the job of cracking the codec so we can stick with the best editing system there is. I hope we don't have to go through too many hoops in unwrapping the files, what we want is acquisition straight in to bins if possible. Are there any Media 100 users with new EX1's experimenting like me and waiting for developments?

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Floh Peters
on May 17, 2008 at 9:39:17 am

[Michael Slowe] "My current workflow with media from the EX1 is to shoot in SP mode (which is HDV 1440 / 1080i) for the simple reason that although 1920 / 1080 video can go from the camera into Media 100 via the SDI out it has the audio embedded and my version 12.1.1 can only take embedded audio in SD. So I convert the HDV (Convergent Design HD-Connect) to HD for editing in Media 100.
"

Has anybody tried ingesting from EX1 via FireWire/HDV into V12.5? Since the EX1 can shoot in HDV mode I guess/hope that this could actually be used like a HDV cam. If anybody with an EX1 and V12.5 (or with the 12.5 trial version) could try that, I think here are some people who would be interested in the results.

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on May 17, 2008 at 10:36:21 am

Yes Floh, that's exactly what I do but I use the HD-Connect box to do the upscale whereas I think Media 100 does the upscale within version 12.5. Both ways involve shooting in HDV (SP mode in the EX1) and editing in HD because (am I right?) Media 100 does not handle HDV natively. My results are pretty good but obviously it would be preferable to shoot in the HQ mode and acquire the media direct rather than do an upscale.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Michael Hanish
Re: XDCAM EX
on May 17, 2008 at 10:36:48 am

I agree that it's a great idea to bring this discussion to the M100 board. I'm just starting to muddle through a proper workflow (for my purposes) with the EX1 and Media100, and I'll repeat and expand a bit on what I wrote to Kieran.

I'm using both desktop and Producer based Media100 system, both 12.5. The MacPro is based around a Kona 3 card. It's been working fantastically well, with just a couple of weird wrinkles. Been working on a current project in DVCProHD codec, as it plays back fine from a FW 800 array I can take with me when I have to be portable. It's not always the best, but it works.

My workflow after shoots (I have a 16 GB and 2 8 GB SxS cards, so thus far I haven't had to do card dumps on location, though that is in the near future), shooting 1080i, has been to make folders with date and descriptive names and put each card's contents (BPAV) into them as backup/archive using either Sony's transfer software or ShotPut. Then I have been digitizing identified selects via SDI into the Kona 3. When I have had to revisit a card's contents, it has been easy enough to check clips using Sony's software, and then reload any card's contents back onto a card and capture stuff through the camera.

I haven't been shooting in SP/HDV mode as I have not really cared for the look for my purposes, but I will try to shoot some and use Firewire for ingest (unless someone gets there first) when next I come up for air.

There are other issues with my workflow that I'll post next time I can.
Hope this is of some help for the discussion.
best,

Michael

Return to posts index

Michael Hanish
on May 17, 2008 at 10:38:04 am

I agree that it's a great idea to bring this discussion to the M100 board. I'm just starting to muddle through a proper workflow (for my purposes) with the EX1 and Media100, and I'll repeat and expand a bit on what I wrote to Kieran.

I'm using both desktop and Producer based Media100 system, both 12.5. The MacPro is based around a Kona 3 card. It's been working fantastically well, with just a couple of weird wrinkles. Been working on a current project in DVCProHD codec, as it plays back fine from a FW 800 array I can take with me when I have to be portable. It's not always the best, but it works.

My workflow after shoots (I have a 16 GB and 2 8 GB SxS cards, so thus far I haven't had to do card dumps on location, though that is in the near future), shooting 1080i, has been to make folders with date and descriptive names and put each card's contents (BPAV) into them as backup/archive using either Sony's transfer software or ShotPut. Then I have been digitizing identified selects via SDI into the Kona 3. When I have had to revisit a card's contents, it has been easy enough to check clips using Sony's software, and then reload any card's contents back onto a card and capture stuff through the camera.

I haven't been shooting in SP/HDV mode as I have not really cared for the look for my purposes, but I will try to shoot some and use Firewire for ingest (unless someone gets there first) when next I come up for air.

best,

Michael

Return to posts index

Michael Hanish
on May 17, 2008 at 10:39:45 am

best,

Michael

Return to posts index

Michael Hanish
on May 17, 2008 at 10:41:30 am

best,

Michael

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on May 17, 2008 at 10:50:54 am

Michael. you posted four identicals, I know why because I nearly did this. It's terribly slow right now and you think your post hasn't gone and click again. I waited minutes while the clock spun then went to the site and my mail was there! Must be a server delay? By the way I do a firewire playback direct from the camera to tape on the Sony HDV deck. Bit stupid from card to tape but how else?

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Michael Hanish
on May 18, 2008 at 12:13:48 am

Sorry about the four identicals.And glad I stopped trying. I just came back onto the site after working and thought I'd try it again, and there it is 4x.

Why are you playing card to tape? Is it for archive and then redig possibilities?

Michael

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on May 18, 2008 at 8:50:15 am

The reason Michael, why I go from card to tape, is that Media 100 does not (yet?) support the files that come from the cards so how else could I get the video into the system to edit?

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Chris Stevens
on May 18, 2008 at 9:41:18 am

Rather than go to tape - I digitise to Media 100 from the EX1 via the SDI output, using the Media 100 hardware to downconvert to SD. I only use EX1 downconvert if sync audio is required. I find the Media 100 hardware HD to SD route shows less alaising than from an EX1 downconvert. But still, like many others I'm eager for Boris to release a version of Media 100 which handles the EX fromat natively...

5.6 terra RAID

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on May 18, 2008 at 8:28:26 pm

Chris, the reason I go to tape is that even if I could take in video and audio via SDI direct from camera is that I don't want all my media on my drives until I start the actual edit which may be months away. Storing tapes is far more convenient. Can't leave the media on the cards at their current price!

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Chris Stevens
on May 19, 2008 at 8:31:48 am

Michael I follow your thinking, but I would have thought the EX1 to eternal drive, for storage, then back to EX1 for digitising would be both faster & would allow you to stay in native 1920...

5.6 terra RAID

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on May 19, 2008 at 6:21:38 pm

Chris, that would be good (you probably mean internal rather than eternal!) if (a) I was going to edit straight away and (b) if my Media 100 could take the video and audio in via SDI. As I explained I have to go to tape in order to acquire (digitize) and I therefore have to shoot in HDV, 1440 X 1080 and then upscale, so there is no question of 'staying in 1920'. It's an interim workflow and it works but not, I hope, permanent.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]