MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Panasonic P2 720p(native) support coming?

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John TwigtPanasonic P2 720p(native) support coming?
by on May 1, 2008 at 2:28:17 pm

Haven't been around the COW recently but is there any prospect of the P2 720native support? It would mean a great advantage to our P2 shooting, because it will double our capacity of the P2 cards. And while i am at it, what about AVC-intra ? Will it be available soon? Is it something developers are working on? As a panasonic_P2/M100 based company these developments are crucial to our workflow. I noticed that media100 developers are active on these forums, so I'm wondering if there's anything new on the horizon?

Another subject: what do M100/P2 users do for archive solutions? Any input is welcome, because we're looking for a solution which makes it possible to redigitize programs from the archived footage. So far we only see the possibility of archiving the digitized M100 files to a HD. (and copying the original P2 footage to another HD.) But this method is leading to enormous amounts of harddisks, and you get sort of lost in your material after a while. And it's not suitable for long-term archiving; disks will fail eventually.
Will an IT-tape based system (like the Quantum SDLT 600A for instance) give you the same way of redigitizing as we are used with video? --> Hit redigitize and just load tapes into our deck? Anybody out there using these intelligent (tcbased) DLT/LTO machine with a media100 system?

John Twigt
Workstation BV, Amsterdam
The Netherlands
http://www.workstation.nl

Return to posts index

Floh PetersRe: Panasonic P2 720p(native) support coming?
by on May 1, 2008 at 2:44:09 pm

[John Twigt] "Haven't been around the COW recently but is there any prospect of the P2 720native support? It would mean a great advantage to our P2 shooting, because it will double our capacity of the P2 cards. And while i am at it, what about AVC-intra ? Will it be available soon? Is it something developers are working on? As a panasonic_P2/M100 based company these developments are crucial to our workflow. I noticed that media100 developers are active on these forums, so I'm wondering if there's anything new on the horizon?
"

Um, which format do you actually shoot in? As far as I know the "regular" 720p/29.97 (or whatever) is supported in Media 100. If you want you can post a short test clip somewhere and I will take a look if it works. Or get the trial version of Producer and test it for yourself. I think the 24PN is currently not supported, but most other formats (including 720p) should be okay.

Return to posts index

Jim WilcoxRe: Panasonic P2 720p(native) support coming?
by on May 1, 2008 at 3:30:21 pm

John,

The native rates are not currently supported. So 720 24PN and 30PN cannot be ingested. I have not heard anything from Media100 on this issue. Also, they are not currently supporting the AVC-Intra codec (full frame 720 & 1080 at 10bit) that both the hpx 2000 and 3000 can shoot. No word on that either.

Return to posts index

Michael SloweRe: Panasonic P2 720p(native) support coming?
by on May 1, 2008 at 8:47:30 pm

Hey fellers, let's please have support for XDCAM first, the new EX1 SxS file based camera is selling like crazy all over the world and I hope (and believe) that Media 100 are working on this. Please don't distract them!

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

John TwigtRe: Panasonic P2 720p(native) support coming?
by on May 2, 2008 at 5:36:49 am

I don't think it's a matter of distracting them. First of all, I think it's a justified request since M100 has supported the P2 format from the beginning and why not follow it up by offering the complete codec-set.
By the way any idea how many HVX-200, HPX-500(555) and other HPX's are sold (2000/3000 etc)?
Secondly, this could substantiate a serious user-base as well, ever more because M100 was the first (at least earlier than Avid en FCP) that supported P2 (from the first producerversion on) I have the feeling that coorperation from panasonic could also be better than sony, but hey that's only me talking here, how many PannyP2/m100 users are out there? Let yourself be heard!

John Twigt
The Netherlands

Return to posts index

John TwigtRe: Panasonic P2 720p(native) support coming?
by on May 2, 2008 at 5:40:15 am

Thanks Floh, all formats except the native ones are being supported, from own experience. We shoot now 1080i (no native option there) and also 720p (there's is an option to shoot native). We would like to shoot native because it frees up half of your P2 card, given the price and availability of these cards, it would mean a lot for P2 users, i think.

John Twigt
The Netherlands

Return to posts index

Chris ClephaneRe: Panasonic P2 720p(native) support coming?
by on May 2, 2008 at 5:14:08 pm

Yes. Yes. Yes. PN support would be magical.

Once implemented...We would have absolutely NO need to maintain 3 FCP seats anymore. (We could get by with just one.) Its financially tedious (and frustrating) to have such un-needed and unused redundancy on our machines (M100 & FCP). We only use FCP when a client brings in a previously started session on external drives...or requests it. And not to mention the media maintenance issues/headaches with FCP (archive/un-archive.) Everything is SO much more intuitive with M100.

(((FYI-For basic everyday production we OBVIOUSLY prefer the Media100/AE workflow.)))

M100 Sales guys...When PN support comes available we can FINALLY justify retiring our two aging M100i systems and replace them with additional M100HD systems.

-C

I edit video. I post sometimes.
I fix things. I eat marshmallows.
I play drums. I drink scotch.
I like TV.

Done typing now.

Return to posts index

Scott_F Media 100Re: Panasonic P2 720p(native) support coming?
by on May 2, 2008 at 5:28:20 pm

HI Chris,
Send me an email

support@media100.com

Scott F
Media 100/Boris Fx

Return to posts index

Jim WilcoxRe: Panasonic P2 720p(native) support coming?
by on May 2, 2008 at 5:42:33 pm

Scott,

I hate to sound like a broken record, but in addition to native (24 &30 PN) can someone at Media 100 address directly plans to support AVC Intra? 10 bit field acquisition for P2. This is one issue that we are looking to move to FCP for so we can get AVC into our system. It would be much like the previous person - we'd have to set up a final cut station just to be able to bring AVC into the system. Can you just at least tell me if it is on the radar...

Return to posts index

Huib J.  LirbRe: Panasonic P2 720p(native) support coming?
by on May 2, 2008 at 6:11:43 pm

Allow me to join the chorus. I work with an HVX200 with 100GB worth of P2 Cards. This budget of 100GBs corresponds to either 100 minutes of 720/50p video or some 200 minutes of 720/25pn (=Native). Now I still keep recording 720/50P despite the double burden on costly solid state cards space, because of my preference for Media100 over FCP. But the high costs of my P2 Cards do not really warrant this preference. I would hate to have to migrate to the other NLE. Furthermore, using the 720/25PN would also greatly reduce the need for extra storage disks for archiving - something else to keep you awake when using P2. I, too, would therefore be very happy if Media100 were to make it possible to ingest 720/25PN, even regardless, incidentally, of the possibility that the Media100 Media files would become inflated due to some translation upon import because you do not have to always archive your Media100 media files too.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]