MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

HD to SD Media100 or camera/VTR

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris StevensHD to SD Media100 or camera/VTR
by on Apr 30, 2008 at 3:25:26 pm

Does anyone have an opinion as to which method of downscaling HD to SD gives the best results; camera/VTR or Media 100 (while capturing)? Acquisition format - XDCAM EX 1920x1080 35Mb/s 50i. Post format - Media 100 10 bit uncompressed PAL 601. I've heard rumours that the scaler in media 100 does not convert the luma & chroma levels particularly well? Please enlighten me!

G5 dual 2.7, OS10.5.1, 4G RAM
Media100 HD V12 & Producer, AE 7
5.6 terra RAID

Return to posts index

Floh PetersRe: HD to SD Media100 or camera/VTR
by on Apr 30, 2008 at 3:32:50 pm

[Chris Stevens] "Does anyone have an opinion as to which method of downscaling HD to SD gives the best results; camera/VTR or Media 100 (while capturing)? Acquisition format - XDCAM EX 1920x1080 35Mb/s 50i. Post format - Media 100 10 bit uncompressed PAL 601. I've heard rumours that the scaler in media 100 does not convert the luma & chroma levels particularly well? Please enlighten me! "

I am not sure about the scalers in the EX camera, but I would bet that the hardware scalers (both in the HDx board as well as in the Aja boards, not sure which one you use) are much better than the camera scalers. If you do a software conform from HD to SD I would expect it to be as good as what the camera is doing, but probably not as good as the hardware scalers on the boards.

Return to posts index

Chris StevensRe: HD to SD Media100 or camera/VTR
by on Apr 30, 2008 at 3:37:48 pm

Thanks Floh Peters. Your logic makes sense.

5.6 terra RAID

Return to posts index

Michael SloweRe: HD to SD Media100 or camera/VTR
by on May 1, 2008 at 8:53:02 pm

Chris, how are you getting your EX1 video into Media 100? I have done this from the camera via SDI but as the audio is embedded I can't handle that on my version with the pre intel chip Mac G5. I am hoping (see my other post) that Media 100 is working on support for the file based media from this camera.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

by on May 2, 2008 at 6:30:32 am

SDI out with embeded audio, either HD & downconvert in HDx or Downconvert in camera, into M100 SDI. Don't understand your audio injest problem, as I have old G5 (pre intel) & have no problem with embeded audio on SDI from EX1?

5.6 terra RAID

Return to posts index

by on May 2, 2008 at 2:17:56 pm

Chris, I have just tried again with ingesting HD footage from the EX1 via SDI. It's true that there is an option setting in "audio in" for "embedded audio" which of course I choose but still I get the yellow blocks for audio when I try to acquire. When I uncheck both audio channela the video comes in OK.

I have the Pre Intel Mac G5, Media 100 version 12.1.1 (PPC) and of course the HDx board. How come you can take in the embedded audio and I can't, assuming our kit is similar? You are talking about HD shot in HQ mode aren't you? I believe (haven't tried that) that my Media 100 will take embedded audio shot in SP mode.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

by on May 3, 2008 at 8:12:44 am

Michael. I think you have identified the issue - I'm digitising a downconverted SDI signal in SD, in which the audio works fine. Just tried it in HD & as you say - no audio. Let's hope the chaps at Boris fix it soon, as well as sorting XDCAM EX import...

5.6 terra RAID

Return to posts index

by on May 3, 2008 at 11:35:36 am

Chris, do you think that the camera downconvert is as good as editing in HD and letting Media 100 do a re conform at the end? What mode do you shoot in to do the camera convert? Bit silly to use all that card space in HQ if you're then down converting straight away. I prefer to shoot in SP (HDV 1440 x 1080i) go up to HD for editing then down convert. That way I get two hours twenty minutes from a total of 32 Gbs. The only problem is that I have to go on to HDV tape in between but that is no bad thing as I don't want to fill up my drives pending editing.

Quality tests with all this (including making SD DVD's) don't seem much different but that of course is on my Sony monitor via component from Media 100. I agree with you, roll on the time (soon please!), when Media 100 resolve all these questions with a simple and effective way to ingest the EX files and media.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

by on May 4, 2008 at 8:38:05 am

My reason for shooting in HQ 1080i (PAL), is based on a test I carried out when I first got the EX1. I found the 1440 pictures to have exaggerated artefacts (aliasing) on high contrast edges. Bear in mind I mainly shoot yachts & marine subjects in strong Mediterranean sunlight & often fast moving boats from fast moving platforms, which is asking a lot of a compressed video system to capture at 35Mb/sec!
I must say that I cannot see any difference between 1440 & 1920 on a flat panel monitor. However, I only trust my old Sony BVM to tell the truth & that is where I see the difference.
On another subject - I recently shot a commercial in Norway (dreamy spa baths & girlies) & took the SDI out of the camera into an HDCAM SR portable recorder. Shots looked truly magnificent. The editor thought I was using an F900!!! Just goes o show what a great beast the EX1 is...

5.6 terra RAID

Return to posts index

by on May 4, 2008 at 10:03:00 am

Chris, I really notice the aliasing on the DVD's, then it's really annoying, on tape it's less of a problem but I still don't see too much improvement with HQ but that's only viewing SD via component. Lucky fellow with the girlies, worth going with the HDCAM recorder!

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]