MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Media100i HELP.......

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Doug CalhounMedia100i HELP.......
by on Apr 22, 2008 at 5:09:57 pm

Well, I've used a M100i since the mid 90's with ZERO issues but yesterday the 8.2.3a system on a dual 2.5 G5 (10.3.9, QT 7.0.3) with 4gigs/ram/ Magma expansion chassis was digitizing and would periodically not bring in the green channel. I switched the deck off and on and it would correct but I finally ran the hardware test (v 8.2.2) and it failed.

I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions beyond reseating the cards, etc.? Does anyone have an old P6000 card they'd like to sell? Sounds like the card is going out to me. I can get a "reconditioned" card on e-bay for $228 which is a good start.....but still a dead end after my immediate projects.

I can get the SDe upgrade for $1995 after trade in or $2995 for HD/SD but would need a new Intel machine and sales said my "experience may not be great" if I ran Producer on my G5. They recommended not testing it on the G5 while "i" is still on it.

Anyone know if Producer will run smoothly on my Intel 2.16 GHz Intel Core Duo with 2 GB ram laptop or on the G5 mentioned above- both with a G-Raid2 drive......

I'm open to any advice and input as I'm halfway through a show and although still limping along will likely take a tumble soon.

Thanks,
Doug

Return to posts index

Kieran MatthewRe: Media100i HELP.......
by on Apr 23, 2008 at 8:48:15 am

Hi Doug,

First things first. Which software level (XS etc) are you using, which inputs are failing (is it just when you use component or do you lose the green channel with composite etc) and what does the Hardware test fail on?

[Doug Calhoun] "I can get the SDe upgrade for $1995 after trade in or $2995 for HD/SD but would need a new Intel machine and sales said my "experience may not be great" if I ran Producer on my G5. They recommended not testing it on the G5 while "i" is still on it. "

In the past I have run Producer on my "i" machine with no ill effects, but if you are fault finding on a critical machine then I can understand. Note also that the current version (the one that is available as a trial) is OSX 10.5 Leopard only so you wouldn't be able to test them in the same OS space anyway.

[Doug Calhoun] "Anyone know if Producer will run smoothly on my Intel 2.16 GHz Intel Core Duo with 2 GB ram laptop"

This is a good place to try the producer trial, but remember the Leopard issue.

Another solution is to scour ebay etc for a PCI-X Kona LS or LH card that will fit in your G5. You should then be able to buy the Media 100 HD Suite software and it would (assuming the G5 has enough grunt) run OK with non-processor intensive codecs. Check that out with Media 100 sales first though!

That would leave you able to upgrade to a new CPU and Kona card when you are ready, taking your projects with you.

HTH

K

Return to posts index

Doug CalhounRe: Media100i HELP.......
by on Apr 23, 2008 at 3:20:10 pm

Thanks Kieran,

In response to your questions:

Kieran wrote:First things first. Which software level (XS etc) are you using, which inputs are failing (is it just when you use component or do you lose the green channel with composite etc) and what does the Hardware test fail on?

I'm running v8.2.3a using OSX 10.3.9 with hardware test v8.2.2

The specs on the card are as follows:
System Rev: 802
Hardware Rev: 32
SW Comp Rev: 63-02
Component Rev: 14
Options: DV600 (which comes and goes!!?!!?- bad omen)
Card Type: P6000 (LL)
ISP Rev: 802
FPGA Rev: 801
Diags Rev: 10-31-2003
FCode Rev: 03

It occurs intermittently during component in, I've digitized a few clips composite with no issue so far.........I've switched the cables around to test them as well. In addition sometimes it appears to be fine then after digitizing and playing out, the color is off- redigitize it and it's fine. That's when I did the hardware test and got concerned it wasn't something simple......

I'm told the hardware test only tests the card, is that correct?

The hardware test fails at
"SUBSAMPLE WIDTH TEST (87):
Part 1: [1] 00000000 >> READ: 00E9E9E9"

Is a P6000 card a P6000 card, what do I need to know when getting another if I can get a used one to get by until this show is done? It's in a Magma expansion chassis in a Dual 2.5 G5 with PCI-X. I'd have to get an older AJA card and would likely step into an Intel machine and upgrade to HDe if the pre-Leopard Producer demo didn't work on my G5.....

Return to posts index

Kieran MatthewRe: Media100i HELP.......
by on Apr 23, 2008 at 4:06:35 pm

Hi Doug,

If you are only seeing problems on one channel of the component input and it appears intermittent then I would suspect a physical problem in the BOB, multi-way or connectors. The BOB is just a plastic box with connectors soldered to the wires. These solder joints can and do fail (I've fixed two before) so looking there might be a start. Also check the connectors for bent pins etc.

[Doug Calhoun] "Options: DV600 (which comes and goes!!?!!?- bad omen) "

The DV600 is the daughter card that sits on the P6000 and handles the DV input. Check that it is seated right. If you've had no problems with firewire digitising then I wouldn't worry too much.

[Doug Calhoun] "I'm told the hardware test only tests the card, is that correct? "

Yes. It doesn't test inputs, just the onboard stuff etc.

[Doug Calhoun] "The hardware test fails at
"SUBSAMPLE WIDTH TEST (87):
Part 1: [1] 00000000 >> READ: 00E9E9E9" "

Does it fail at that point every time you run the test? I have had cards that fail the test every now and again, but have proved usable.

[Doug Calhoun] "Is a P6000 card a P6000 card, what do I need to know when getting another if I can get a used one to get by until this show is done? It's in a Magma expansion chassis in a Dual 2.5 G5 with PCI-X."

To use an expansion chassis you need a Lossless capable P6000 card (which you have) and I believe they have to be of a particular revision. Each card is linked to its software with the encryption code, so you can't just slip another card in without knowing the encryption key tied to it. Effectively you are simply replacing your dead Media 100 with another one so you would also need the other card to be at the same software level as your system or you'll lose functionality, and the same software version (i.e. 8.2) or your projects won't open on it.

HTH

K

Return to posts index

Andrew MehtaRe: Media100i HELP.......
by on Apr 28, 2008 at 3:23:15 am

If it is just a Break-out-box problem, you can get new ones cheap enough on ebay (I've seen 'em for around £10).

Regarding needing new software keys for second hand cards you buy, if the seller doesn't give you one, you should be able to get M100 to email you one. When I bought my P6000 off of ebay, to replace a faulty Vincent 601, M100 sent me a key for it, free of charge. =) Of course, that was back in the Optibase days, but I don't think it would be unreasonable to ask if you ever need to. ^_^

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]