MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

iFinish 4.6 to Media Producer Pro 12.5

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Woody BassiFinish 4.6 to Media Producer Pro 12.5
by on Apr 17, 2008 at 1:40:53 pm

We recently set up a Final Cut Pro-based editing suite for a client who had been using iFinish 4.6 and we're trying to determine the most efficient way of getting projects created in iFinish to work with this new setup. Keep in mind that the iFinish-based suite was leased and will not longer be available as an option.

The first thing we tried was to download the Media 100 codecs and this has allowed the client to repurpose the iFinish media within FCP, but he ideally wants to be able to bring in existing iFinish sequences into FCP, so as to minimize recreating projects.

We tried exporting a project as an EDL, but when we imported this into FCP, it didn't recognize anything within the iFinish sequence, although the media did appear (albeit offline). We didn't have time to try the various EDL export options and I'm not even sure this is going to be feasible, being that the suite won't be around for much longer.

Our next idea was to install the trial version of Media Producer Pro 12.5 and see if it would open the iFinish projects, but this did not work. However, we were able to import the above EDL and the sequences were recognized, but the media was offline (as expected). We then tried to use the Relink option within MPP, but this didn't do anything. Again, without the existing suite, I'm not sure the EDL approach is useful anyway.

So, we're trying to figure out the ideal way to get projects created in iFinish 4.6 recognized by Media Producer Pro 12.5 (we're guessing FCP is not an option for these old projects) and have not had complete success to this point. Are there any available intermediate options that would allow these projects to be recognized in MPP?? Would it make sense to install either Parallels/VM Fusion on his Mac Pro and run iFinish 4.6.....he could then migrate the projects over gradually??

I apologize for the long post...just wanted to make sure I conveyed all the variables in play.

Return to posts index

Floh PetersRe: iFinish 4.6 to Media Producer Pro 12.5
by on Apr 17, 2008 at 2:11:42 pm

I am not sure if you will be able to migrate iFinish projects to Media 100 producer, but I think it should be possible. If you want you can send me a zipped timeline for testing purposes to floh at mac dot com

Return to posts index

Ben HeusnerRe: iFinish 4.6 to Media Producer Pro 12.5
by on Apr 17, 2008 at 2:20:14 pm

Hi Woody,

I'll dive in here. I don't think there's going to be many options here.

EDLs will work, but as you have found, EDLs require that you reacquire the media.

Installing Parallels won't work here as iFinish requires the old Media 100 hardware to be installed. It won't work software-only.

Did you try opening the Programs or the Project? I hazily recall a time in the dim distant past when iFinish & Media 100 programs could be opened by the sister system. I think that stopped many years.

If you have access to the original tapes then I would go the EDL. Though actually I would try to keep an iFinish system around if the work is mission critical. You can probably find one pretty cheaply second hand.

All the best,

Curious Turtle Professional Video
Training | Editing |Support

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved