MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

DVD Player crops instead of letterboxing

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrew CrosbyDVD Player crops instead of letterboxing
by on Apr 14, 2008 at 7:10:25 pm

For lack of a better forum I am going with Media 100 on this since that is what I'm editing with. So the deal is I put the client's DVD in our Panasonic DMR-ES45V to digitize the material via component and analog in. However the DVD player doesn't automatically letterbox the video. It crops it! I have used this DVD player many times before where it will letterbox a 16x9 image to make it fit 4x3, but this particular DVD it did not.
When I played the DVD on the computer DVD player (Apple's DVD player) it automatically letterbox's it.
Has anyone ever run into this type of problem before, and/or know a solution to it?? The only way I knew the video was playing incorrectly was because the client was in my room telling me so. I would have had no idea it was wrong since the aspect ratio looked right - it just was cutting off the sides. It just makes me nervous for future DVD's I may get that might pose the same problem.

Return to posts index

Ben HeusnerRe: DVD Player crops instead of letterboxing
by on Apr 14, 2008 at 8:38:12 pm

Hi Andrew

You don't say what you've authored this with. Check that the track is set to 16:9 Letterbox, if you are using DVD Studio Pro.

Other than that, check that no-one has monkeyed around with the settings on the DVD player, and that that is set up correctly. "It used to work" in a multi-user environment is asking for trouble in my experience :o) Some things you can't control.

Cheers,
Ben

Curious Turtle Professional Video
Training | Editing |Support

http://www.curiousturtle.com

Return to posts index

Andrew CrosbyRe: DVD Player crops instead of letterboxing
by on Apr 14, 2008 at 8:48:53 pm

I didn't author the DVD - it was coming from the client. I think the issue is with the DVD player but there doesn't seem to be any logic to it - I haven't found any settings that can be changed. Also, if I put in a different DVD that plays widescreen the DVD player WILL correctly letterbox it. It just seems that this particular DVD is giving me issues with this particular DVD player. If the funky DVD is played in a different player it plays in the correct 4:3 letterbox. I hope I'm not being more confusing...

Return to posts index

Ben HeusnerRe: DVD Player crops instead of letterboxing
by on Apr 15, 2008 at 8:34:37 am

In the DVD player settings there's often a place where you can tell it what sort of TV you're using, either 16:9 or 4:3. If it's 4:3, then there should be a way of telling it how to handle 16:9 flagged discs on that screen.

If there's not, then there really isn't much you can do about it, apart from get a new DVD player!

Bearer of bad news?

Ben

Curious Turtle Professional Video
Training | Editing |Support

http://www.curiousturtle.com

Return to posts index

by on Apr 15, 2008 at 3:11:08 pm

Thanks for all of your help guys - I'm a dope, it was a setting in the DVD player. For some reason I thought it would auto-detect the settings but I guess not. For reference, it was in Setup > TV Screen > 4:3 TV Settings for DVD-Video (Letterbox) and 4:3 Settings for DVD-RAM (Letterbox). Thanks again!

Return to posts index

by on Apr 15, 2008 at 3:13:05 pm

Rather, thanks Ben for your help!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]