MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Any traps in using progressive?

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Murray Ferguson
Any traps in using progressive?
on Apr 14, 2008 at 2:14:54 am

The producers of a doco that's soon to be shot in the Sahara desert are keen to use progressive. This is not something I've worked with before, so I was wondering if there are any traps I should be aware of, or is it a simple matter of importing the SD XD footage as progressive into my HDe and proceeding as normal. Any tips would be appreciated.

Return to posts index

Floh Peters
Re: Any traps in using progressive?
on Apr 14, 2008 at 6:23:32 am

We have done this several times, and I cannot see any traps there. There were some Pre-V12.5 versions where ClipFX would only process half the resolution in progressive, though.
Btw. does your client want to shoot in progressive? If yes, you also could simply drop the progressive shot footage in an interlaced timeline.

Return to posts index

Murray Ferguson
on Apr 14, 2008 at 9:16:33 am

Thanks Floh, Yes they seem keen on shooting progressive to achieve a certain look. Not exactly sure what the look is. I'm to get some test footage tomorrow so I guess I'll see for myself. If, as you suggest, I cut the progressive in an interlaced timeline, is the progressive look maintained?
And would this potentially overcome some of the field rendering problems you speak of? Do I still import the material as progressive? Can the look be achieved in post to interlaced video? I'm working in Pal on version 12.1.3
Thanks for your help.

Return to posts index

Floh Peters
on Apr 14, 2008 at 9:25:06 am

Usually when you shoot progressive you get a more "filmic" look. E.g. motions in the image will look different than when shooting interlaced. While you have to be careful about pans, zooms and basically any motion when shooting progressive (like when you are shooting on film), the results tend to look like a film-shoot. Plus, when e.g. delivering to the web you donĀ“t have to deal with deinterlacing before posting the movie online.
For editing it does not make a huge difference if you edit the incoming material in an interlaced or progressive timeline. If you want to add many effects, though, you either should upgrade to 12.5 (because of the progressive/RED integration bug in 12.1.3), or you should work in interlaced (although e.g. dissolves and basically any effect you will be doing will be interlaced). This can be an advantage or disadvantage, depending on what you want to do. E.g. a crawl or roll will most likely be unreadable when done in progressive and displayed on an interlaced CRT.

Return to posts index

Murray Ferguson
on Apr 14, 2008 at 7:36:42 pm

Thanks for your advice Floh, it's very helpful. I'll play around with the camera tests.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]