MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Analog audio levels hot out of HDe

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jim Wilcox
Analog audio levels hot out of HDe
on Apr 8, 2008 at 11:13:58 pm

We're running 12.1.3 with the OEM Kona LHe board and the AJA breakout box (NTSC). Just getting it patched into our system and noted the balanced audio output levels are very hot and not finding much in the way of software control (audio output control is just +24dbu FSD or +18dbu (European). We're going to mostly Betacam SP decks (UVW/PVW). Input from these decks is a nominal level. Seems like it should be E/E through the system. Our HDx box does not have this issue. Am I missing something?

I did see that there is an additional control panel that you can use to normally interact with the Aja card. It does not install with Meida100, but seems to be part of the normal card install when you are using it with Final Cut for example. Can you install it along with Media100 and have more control over what the card is doing?

There is not much documentation from Media 100 on this ... sort of just hook it up and it'll work...

Return to posts index

Floh Peters
Re: Analog audio levels hot out of HDe
on Apr 8, 2008 at 11:26:16 pm

[Jim Wilcox] "I did see that there is an additional control panel that you can use to normally interact with the Aja card. It does not install with Meida100, but seems to be part of the normal card install when you are using it with Final Cut for example. Can you install it along with Media100 and have more control over what the card is doing?
"

No, definitely not. It won´t give you additional audio levels anyway.

The Aja audio ins and outs should give you the same audio level in E/E as when acquired and played back. Is there a difference, and if yes, how much is the level higher? Do you have a chance to compare it to a digital input and output?

Return to posts index

Jim Wilcox
on Apr 9, 2008 at 12:38:26 am

I assumed the additional control panel functions were not a good idea for Media 100 use, but I thought I would ask. The input audio levels are nominal level, look good on the board that is in line before the input stage of the aja card. Once in Media 100 the levels are nominal, its just at the output stage leaving the aja rackmount box the balanced XLR outputs are maybe 10db hot going to both analog betacam decks. I can adjust their record levels down to accommodate, but I was surprised to find that the output (of same bars/tone for example) would be so different between the HDx and the KL box. Don't have a digital device to reference to.

I've one more nagging problem with this new system that I will post in a separate subject...not audio related.

Return to posts index

Floh Peters
on Apr 8, 2008 at 11:28:25 pm

[Jim Wilcox] "Seems like it should be E/E through the system. Our HDx box does not have this issue. Am I missing something? "

One more thing: if you acquire something on Aja and on HDx, will there be a difference in levels if you e.g. record the same signal tone? Will the difference be on input or on output (do the meters in the audio mixer read the same numbers or not)?

Return to posts index

Kieran Matthew
on Apr 9, 2008 at 11:02:00 am

Hi Jim,

I've posted about this several times before. On my HDe audio levels are about 4db higher than they should be. This happens on the XLR analogue outputs and on my Firewire out - I have yet to have an opportunity to test the SDI levels.

It's not a hardware issue as my FCP install's levels (through the same hardware) are bang on the money.

If you export out an AIFF of tone at 0db (from Media 100's level meters) opening that file in Soundtrack Pro reveals the levels to be at +4db, so the problem (I think) is in Media 100 itself. The similarity of the +4db level boost and the old audio option of +4db output in preferences makes me think that the new hardware already outputs at the correct level and Media 100 is boosting the signal like it needed to on the Vincent & HDX hardware - but that's just me speculating.

I'm glad that someone else is seeing the same issue I am though! My work-around is to lower the Master Bus audio level to -4db on the time-line before mixing audio (using my outboard PPMs), that gives a consistent signal level to tape and to files for DVD etc.

K

Return to posts index

David Issko
on Apr 12, 2008 at 3:44:27 am

[Kieran Matthew] "On my HDe audio levels are about 4db higher than they should be. This happens on the XLR analogue outputs and on my Firewire out - I have yet to have an opportunity to test the SDI levels. "

Hi guys,

Just to let you know how my system works, I operate pretty much in SDI using my HDe and the out levels (SDI to Digital Betacam) are spot on. I'm sorry I cannot comment on analogue out but I will give it a shot and let you know.

Hope you sort out your problems
David

Return to posts index

Kieran Matthew
on Apr 15, 2008 at 6:02:02 pm

Hi David,

Thanks for the info.

Could you do a test for me? If you could place some tone on a program, set the levels to -18db, export out as AIFF, then open in a package that shows audio levels (Soundtrack Pro for instance). What level does the package report the file to be?

Many thanks in anticipation!

K

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]