I am receiving a lot of errors on a project. I keep getting "Could not play because the CPU was unable to process the video quickly enough. Stopped at...time-code given"
This happens when I am playing the program and I click ahead or behind the CRT to go to another spot in the program while it is playing. It is mainly in sections where I have a video clip in track V1 that contains an alpha channel. Should this be happening if I have not rendered the clip? I am running a Quad G5 2.5GHz.
Sorry Bob I can't give you an answer, but I can confirm I'm having the same problem from time to time. Yesterday it happened while mastering out a program. I'm also running a 2.5 Quad G5 with M100 12.1.3 OS 10.5.1. I've also noticed that occasionally when rendering I get a message warning that there is insufficient memory allocation to complete the task. If I restart M100 it renders it without complaint. Also, some renders take way longer than they should while others scream through, and at least two or three times a week M100 just disappears without warning. These are not things I've encountered on previous versions.
I am still running on Version 11.5. I think I discovered some of my issues. I had stored my program files and some of my content such as graphic files on an external Firewire 800 drive. I think the CPU was have to think too much about the Firewire drive. I copied my files over to an internal drive and my problems diminished almost entirely.
How much Ram are you using on your system?
Maybe that will help your situation... Hopefully mine are resolved but time will tell.
I have 2GB Ram. My media is coming off external firewire 800 drives but program data and graphics are stored internally. Same work method I used last year with no problem. It's not a major thing as relaunching M100 seems to solve it, but it's just a bit annoying.
Open UP Activity Monitor located in Applications>Utilities and you want to turn-on the Floating CPU Window. Leave this open and see if it maxes out when you are doing these tasks. It sounds like you are just running out of Processor Speed. Using compressed codecs like DVCProHD or Apple ProRes are very processor intensive, especially on the Power PC systems.
Tried the activity monitor and if I'm reading the thing properly, it seems to indicate that the cpu is operating at around 50% during a typical render. I am working with XD Cam material 8bit uncompressed.
I am working with Media100HD codec in 8 bit but my issues seemed to resolve themselves when I removed the Firewire 800 drive from my equation. I have an external 1.2 terabyte raid that I use from my media. The only time since I removed the 800 drive that I receive the error is if I have and After Effects render happening at the same time I am try to use the Media 100.
Murray and Gregg,
Are you both working off of Firewire 800 drives? The error message about your CPU is wrong I think. Murray, in your case you showed this when you said your activity monitor is only going to about 50%. The error message you should be getting should be about your drives not being fast enough, which is true if you're using SD Uncompressed and you are skipping around in the timeline. Firewire 800 drives will allow you to work in SD or compressed HD but the likelyhood that you will get a performance related error message is a lot higher than a drive like say the HDPro by Caldigit, the G-Speed by G-tech or the Falcon3 by Raid inc. As long as you are not stopping when you are trying to playback your timeline or clips off the firewire800 drives and you are still allowed to work, then I wouldn't worry about it too much. But if it is keeping you from being able to complete projects then I suggest investing in a higher end drive solution.
I'm running HDe on Dual 2.5ghz G5. Storage array is Ciprico MediaVault 4210 (FC). I have plenty of drive speed for my video. When I go through bouts of this cpu error, I shut down the application, and then restart the app, and then everything is good for a while. I usually only get this error when I'm going 6 or 7 layers above the a/b track with unrendered layers. Now, it seems that I'm getting it with with just 2 layers above the a/b, even when they're rendered. It may be nothing, but it seems the frequency of this has increased since 12.1.3.