MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

hd output via firewire

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joyce Quick
hd output via firewire
on Mar 12, 2008 at 6:04:44 pm

how do i output 1080 hd footage via firewire. i assume i bypass the aja breakout box and just go firewire out of the mac. i have a hvr 1500 i want to go into. i can imput no problem but what is the setting to get the completed project back on tape in the deck.
thanks

Return to posts index

Floh Peters
Re: hd output via firewire
on Mar 12, 2008 at 6:07:59 pm

There currently is no way to output HD video over FireWire. Only SD/DV-based codecs are supported via FireWire.

Return to posts index

Joyce Quick
on Mar 12, 2008 at 6:29:02 pm

so how do i output my hd program out of my media 100hd? and record it hd on tape?

thanks

Return to posts index

Floh Peters
on Mar 12, 2008 at 6:30:56 pm

HD-SDI

Return to posts index

Joyce Quick
on Mar 12, 2008 at 6:50:35 pm

on my hvr 1500. it has written on the ilink input hdv/dv. it says in the manual that it records to hdv via the ilink. the 1500 has a hd-sdi out but no in. help.

Return to posts index

Floh Peters
on Mar 12, 2008 at 6:52:26 pm

Does it have a HD Component in? The LHe has a HD component out you could use. Or, there are HD-SDI<->HDV converters.

Return to posts index

Joyce Quick
on Mar 12, 2008 at 8:03:22 pm

it only has sd component in. and that does not do what i want... which is to record in hdv.

why does the hvr say it will record hdv in via ilink if you say you can't record hdv on firewire. it definitely says that. is it because media 100 won't send it out that way.

Return to posts index

David Colantuoni
on Mar 12, 2008 at 8:16:17 pm

Check you deck, Sony usually has add on cards for their decks that enable certain options. You deck probably outputs HD component. Media 100 does not output HDV (or any HD format) via FireWire, only through the connections provided with your AJA or HDx Hardware

Dave

Return to posts index

Floh Peters
on Mar 12, 2008 at 8:27:41 pm

The deck will record HDV, but Media 100 will only send out SD DV-based codecs.

Return to posts index

David Issko
on Mar 13, 2008 at 2:43:22 pm

Hi Joyce,
I too have the wonderful HVR-1500 recorder. The 1500 will only record HD (HDV) via the ilink cable/connectors so you do need to set the M100 to firewire master and set the 1500 to record HDV.

Should work from there. Does with my M100 HDe at least. Not stated which M100 version you have.

All the best
David Issko

Return to posts index

Joyce Quick
on Mar 13, 2008 at 5:50:31 pm

david

i do have the media 100 hde but when i set it to master to firewire it gives me the message "cannot master an HD program to firewire"

how do i get around that? is it a bug?

joyce

ps i'm still wonder why floh said that firewire would not take hdv. isn't that exactly how it (the hd) goes into the 1500?

Return to posts index

Floh Peters
on Mar 13, 2008 at 6:04:02 pm

[Joyce Quick] "i do have the media 100 hde but when i set it to master to firewire it gives me the message "cannot master an HD program to firewire"
"

I don´t want to spoil the fun here, but Media 100 currently does not output HD signals via FireWire.

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Mar 13, 2008 at 6:08:57 pm

Joyce, Firstly HDV isn't HD, it's HDV. Secondly Media 100 doesn't handle HDV, only HD. I upgrade my HDV (Convergent Design HD-Connect) to uncompressed HD and if I need an HD master have to rent a VERY expensive HD deck to do this. For other masters such as DVCAM I use the very good Media 100 downscale and then master through firewire. As they say above, HD has to come out of Media 100 through HD-SDI only. HDV not at all.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Joyce Quick
on Mar 13, 2008 at 6:41:25 pm

so you are saying it goes in (hdv) but it doesn't go out?

Return to posts index

Floh Peters
on Mar 13, 2008 at 6:49:15 pm

[Joyce Quick] "so you are saying it goes in (hdv) but it doesn't go out?
"

Either I missed something substantial here, or Media 100 currently does only support DV SD based codecs via FireWire. So you only can get in DV, DVCPro and DVCam via FireWire, and you can output DV, DVCPro and DVCam via FireWire.
At least our V12.1.3 systems don´t accept HDV inputs via FireWire (although HDV players can downconvert HDV to DV via FireWire).

Return to posts index

Kieran Matthew
on Mar 13, 2008 at 7:02:59 pm

Hi Joyce

[Joyce Quick] "so you are saying it goes in (hdv) but it doesn't go out?"

No, it doesn't go in HDV at all. I think you are confusing HDV (a codec and a way of storing 'high definition' video in a long-gop mpeg 2 variant) with the general concept of HD video.

Other systems like FCP can import/export the HDV data stream directly over the firewire, but Media 100 cannot. It can only digitise/master HD video via HD-SDI.

What I suspect you are doing is hooking your Media 100 up to the HD-SDI out of your HVR1500 deck. In this instance your deck is converting the HDV data to HD-SDI video for you.

What your deck lacks is that functionality the other way around. All it can do is record a HDV data stream via firewire, which Media 100 cannot provide because it never had it in the first place. As Michael said, the only way to master HD out of a Media 100 is to use a deck that supports HD-SDI in.

HTH

K

Return to posts index

Joyce Quick
on Mar 13, 2008 at 7:30:05 pm

michael

i think you are right. i guess the deck is converting to hd on the way in but there is nothing to do the same on the way out. bummer. it looks so great in the media 100.

Return to posts index

David Issko
1000 apologies
on Mar 13, 2008 at 11:56:02 pm

The job I was referring to was in fact a downconverted HDV to SD and mastered back to DVCAM, NOT HDV. Just about all clients don't want a tape master any longer. DVD is sufficient for them - unfortunately.

That's what happens when one posts at 0300 when one can't sleep, thinking about the next upgrade.

My apologies once again.
David

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Mar 14, 2008 at 10:32:52 am

No Joyce, it doesn't go in as HDV, Media 100 won't take HDV. I convert from HDV to HD (Convergent Design HD-Connect) and then it goes in. It also has to come out HD (or downscaled to DV). How you get it back to HDV I don't know!

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Andrew Mehta
on Mar 16, 2008 at 4:21:05 am

I really hope HDV support appears soon in M100.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]