MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

V12, Progressive and RED

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kieran Matthew
V12, Progressive and RED
on Mar 12, 2008 at 12:42:45 pm

Hi Folks,

I'm doing an animation project in V12 on my HDe. The material is inherently progressive, so I am editing it in PAL 601(psf) using Uncompressed 10bit. Everything works as expected until I use RED.

Although the settings inside (I believe) reflect that the material is progressive, the rendered output on the timeline looks bad, with smudgey jaggies, as if the material is being processed as interlaced, or just one "field" is being used. If I export the material from within RED and re-import the resulting file, the result is much better.

Is this just a shortcoming of RED in a progressive Media 100 timeline, or am I setting things up wrong?

K

Return to posts index

Floh Peters
Re: V12, Progressive and RED
on Mar 12, 2008 at 12:46:24 pm

Are you using the latest version of RED and V12 (12.1.3)? There have been some changes regarding progressive timelines in the last releases, as far as I know.

Return to posts index

Kieran Matthew
on Mar 12, 2008 at 12:57:51 pm

Hi Floh,

Yes, 12.1.3 and RED 4.2.1.

The interesting thing is that RED reports the project settings to be 720x576 PAL DV D1. Could the fact that DV is an interlaced codec have some bearing if RED still thinks that is how footage should be treated or is that just a reference to the pixel size (though isn't that what the D1 is for?)

K

Return to posts index

Floh Peters
on Mar 12, 2008 at 1:04:27 pm

Just tested it, and you are right. Only the first field (although it should have no fields) of the source material gets rendered. Seems to be a bug in either Media 100 or RED.

Return to posts index

Kieran Matthew
on Mar 12, 2008 at 1:17:08 pm

Hi Floh,

Oh joy!

Thanks for your help though, it is appreciated.

K

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]