MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Media 100 Review

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Colantuoni
Media 100 Review
on Feb 29, 2008 at 3:00:39 pm

A while back somebody mentioned the lack of a Media 100 review. We've just posted a review from TV Technology on our website.

Take a look when you get a chance.

Dave

Return to posts index

Andrew Mehta
Re: Media 100 Review
on Feb 29, 2008 at 9:15:55 pm

Woohoo! ^_^ And I just read it. =)

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Mar 1, 2008 at 10:49:14 am

David C, sorry to be a pain in the a.....e but as I'm now embarking on the great Sony EX1 journey (for many photographic reasons), could we have some words of encouragement from you regarding your ambitions relating to supporting the XDCAM codec? As you know I personally, would also welcome re assurance that whatever you come up with in this field would apply to those of us with the HDx board system. Maybe you don't want to be specific at this stage and I would understand that but the continuing silence on this is disturbing.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

David Colantuoni
on Mar 3, 2008 at 4:15:22 pm

I've commented on this before. We will support XDCAM in the future, I can clearly state this because it is something that we HAVE to do. There are a lot of engineering details that have to be worked out and we have been working these for the last few months. We need to demux the data stream and have access to or develop codecs that will play back the data and all that stuff. We do support direct connection the way a traditional deck would connect to Media 100, so your investment would still work if your EX device contained those connections (I am not schooled on all of the EX devices yet so forgive me if I am incorrect).

So, bottom line, we hear you and we're working on it; and that is the best I can give you at this moment. I believe Boris was mis-quoted at Video Expo stating that XDCam support was imminent, it's not that close but we are making progress. As I obtain more information I will pass it on.

Thanks!

Dave

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Mar 3, 2008 at 9:37:23 pm

Thank you David, sorry if I missed your previous news. Actually I am aware that you can now take video direct from the camera via SDI into Media 100 but that is with embedded audio and the HDx versions cannot accept embedded audio in the best resolution mode, only if the media is in HDV mode. I know it complicated for your kit but others are managing it!

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Andrew Mehta
on Mar 3, 2008 at 10:35:47 pm

Still looking forwards to HDV, since all my peers have been using it since 2005 with FCP, and I quite fancy the idea of covering E3 with a laptop, Producer, a HDV deck and nothing more. ^_^

Back to the subject of reviews though - and the review itself admitted to being subjective, with those testing it being old M100 fans. Whilst it's clear M100's strategy has been to get its old users back onside, and as I can see, that's working quite well, I nonetheless long to see it reach a point where the product is strong enough to go before the likes of that genius Macca again, ;-) [Sorry, David McCandless is one of my writing role models] - but by which I mean any skeptical, cynical, mainstream reviewer/writer/journalist, and stand up to scrutiny as a viable alternative to FCP and Avid.
Obviously, myself a M100 fan, I'm happy to wait till M100 is in a stronger position, before it gets more publicity, so that those wider reviews prove exceptionally positive, but I'm just indicating how I look forwards to a day when the phase of converting old M100 users back into the fray is over, and Boris can begin to concerntrate marketing on new users, and competing with FCP and Avid. Not that either of those competitors would stand for it, ;-). Heehee...but for now, I'm just talking about reviews, and getting review copies to technology writers.

The TV Technology was a good review, and nice to read, but hasn't delivered an objective form of critical acclaim.

Of course, with free trials, and being an existing user of the legacy version 7.5, I do already have some idea of what it's like, and the intention to upgrade is most notably there, even if the budget for doing so is not (don't forget I'll need a new Mac, new After Effects, new everything...=P), but an independent review still scoring the system well will surely signify a potential return to the glory days. ^_^ Even if the software, thankfully, no longer costs £16,000. ^_^

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]