MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

renders coming in way dark?

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bobby MV
renders coming in way dark?
on Feb 25, 2008 at 4:57:32 pm

I acquired some HD footage using the MJPEGb codec, assembled a timeline and exported via XML to AE CS3. My final output was SD, so could it be that there is a setup discrepancy going from HD to SD? most of the times im doing the downconvert in M100, but in this case i had to manually do a lot of scaling in AE and took advantage of the higher resolution HD had to offer.

how can i render these clips out so that they will match closer to what i am seeing on my computer monitor?

M100Hde 11.6.4
QT 7.3.1
AE CS3

Return to posts index

Floh Peters
Re: renders coming in way dark?
on Feb 25, 2008 at 5:04:16 pm

Why donĀ“t you use the V-Out from AE (the preview to your SDI screen via the Media 100 hardware)? If you then render into a Media 100 codec (Media 100 i, Media 100 HD, Animation/Lossless), you will end up with the exact same color and brightness ranges as you see in AE.

Return to posts index

Bobby MV
on Feb 25, 2008 at 5:17:18 pm

good point, I guess I was just used to not using it from the old m100i days... is there like a number or preset or something in AE out there that compensates for the setup? I know the m100 downcoverter works really well, it does a great job of managing the different colorimetries going from HD to NTSC.

Bobby Mosaedi
Magic Video, Inc.

"once you go mac, you never go back"

Return to posts index

Floh Peters
on Feb 25, 2008 at 5:23:52 pm

Usually rendering out into the same codec without changes should give you the same colors. Since your source HD material is MJPEGB, try rendering into SD MJPEGB, which should give you the same color range than your HD material once imported back into Media 100. Your V-Out will be off, though, since as far as I know MJPEGB uses RGB0-255 while the AE V-Out uses RGB 16-235.

Floh

Return to posts index

Bobby MV
on Feb 25, 2008 at 6:13:46 pm

I have never tried to render out in mjpegb in SD- that should do the trick. thanks floh.

It's absolutely incredible, I feel fortunate to personally witness media 100 expand its codec compatibility along with the rest of the industry, but I could only imagine what it must feel like if I knew nothing and had to learn from scratch now about all the different resolutions, codecs, and pixel aspect ratios. There is a lot more to learn now than there ever was

Bobby Mosaedi
Magic Video, Inc.

"once you go mac, you never go back"

Return to posts index

Floh Peters
on Feb 25, 2008 at 9:10:17 pm

You're right,itf is not getting easier these days.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]