MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Bug Alert - Levels change on freeze frame.

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andy TaplinBug Alert - Levels change on freeze frame.
by on Feb 23, 2008 at 6:41:49 pm

Hi All

Just noticed this today - if you export as an M100 codec self-con the levels of freeze frames can change relative to the shot you've taken them from.

For example at the end of a particular movie I have a graphic which I need to freeze for a few secs before fading to black. So I took the last frame of the shot and did a freeze in the edit suite. Looks fine when played back but after exporting and watching in QT the level of the freeze is maybe 5% lower in the luma. Really noticeable on the cut if the screen is mostly white as this graphic is.

If you export as Animation the problem is not there. Can Floh and David verify this and work on a fix?

I've got the latest versions of everything installed.

Thanks

Andy

Return to posts index

Floh PetersRe: Bug Alert - Levels change on freeze frame.
by on Feb 23, 2008 at 8:44:09 pm

Are you sure that your render and clip codecs are identical? If not, this can happen if you export self-contained or by-ref clips. Either work in one codec all the way (we usually use ProRes in all our projects), or do a full QuickTime export to a codec of your choice to avoid this problem.

Floh

Return to posts index

Andy TaplinRe: Bug Alert - Levels change on freeze frame.
by on Feb 24, 2008 at 3:59:56 pm

I'm using the M100i codec throughout. I've done this many times before in earlier versions of M100 and never had a problem.

Workflow:

Render graphic animation in AFX using M100i PAL codec. Import to M100 using M100i codec. Create freeze. Playback looks fine. Export as M100 codec - level drop visible in QT. Export as Animation codec - no drop in level.

If not a bug somewhere in the export M100 codec process what could cause this?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Derek BruceRe: Bug Alert - Levels change on freeze frame.
by on Feb 26, 2008 at 2:07:38 pm

Hello Andy,

Just thought I would say I am with you on this one. Have been a long time Media100i editor and regularly would export freeze frames using the Media100i codec and re-import them into the same video clip as fixes for masking booms etc with no problem. Since owning the first version of Media100HD onwards I have noticed that the exported frames are always darker as you say. Hope someone comes up with a solution for this as it is such a useful editing tool.
Regards,

Derek.

Return to posts index

Andy TaplinRe: Bug Alert - Levels change on freeze frame.
by on Feb 26, 2008 at 2:18:41 pm

Thanks Derek

Glad to know it's not just me :-)

It would be nice if Media 100 could take a look at this as I also use this all the time.

Andy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]