MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

To Upgrade or Not

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joe Ciupik
To Upgrade or Not
on Feb 13, 2008 at 2:06:03 am

I have used Media 100 since 1999. I so want to make the jump to HD. Everything I have read about the product is positive. However, there is so little positive about the company and the future of Media 100. Everything is FCP this, Avid that, even Vegas. Heck, it's even tough to find a forum and loved that I found this one. I have some influence on making the decision to upgrade one system and buy another but I need some ammunition. Can this group help. I hope so. I WANT to continue with Media 100. What I feel is the most user friendly editing interface, but I need some convincing. Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Kieran Matthew
Re: To Upgrade or Not
on Feb 13, 2008 at 10:29:35 am

Hi Joe,

Things have changed in the Media 100 arena - it'll be some time until it is like the good old days of being one of the most used platforms, but it is holding its own and catching up with the competition.

The decision is to upgrade has been made considerably easier by the fact that Media 100 HD now runs on the same standard AJA hardware as FCP, Premier etc. You get the best of both worlds, the Media 100 interface you love, plus the ability to run FCP for compatibility. Believe me, I'm sitting here with my HDe only because it is also able to be an FCP suite.

With a dual boot system you have the advantage of being able to use all your old media and projects in a system that is light years ahead of Media 100i. The ability to (finally!) apply filters to clips, multi-layer editing, multi-codec support. It's all there, and Media 100 is being updated faster than any time in my experience and I've been using the system for over 10 years. Plus it is just so much faster for rendering.

But you really have to look at where you are going as an editor to make the best selection. If you don't have a wealth of old projects to maintain, or if there is a real business case to switch platforms then going down the FCP only route may be advantageous. Remember though that changing platforms can be a traumatic experience. The advantage with a dual boot system is that you have that crutch of a familiar system to go back to if things go wrong during the transition. Plus, of course, Media 100 has distinct advantages in some areas, even if it hasn't got all the bells and whistles that FCP et all have (yet!).

HTH

K

Return to posts index

Joe Ciupik
on Feb 13, 2008 at 2:18:06 pm

Thank K. After reading through may other posts, the combination of M100 & FCP appears to be the way to go. This affords the best of both worlds. So moving files between these two is easy and does not take a special codec or conversion to import into FCP?

Return to posts index

Kieran Matthew
on Feb 13, 2008 at 4:05:48 pm

Hi Joe,

[Joe Ciupik] "So moving files between these two is easy and does not take a special codec or conversion to import into FCP?"

Although it isn't possible to swap project files, it is possible to share media if it is created in one of the FCP compatible codecs like DV etc.

K

Return to posts index

Nick Griffin
on Feb 13, 2008 at 3:26:17 pm

I'll chime in with K and say that a dual boot system does make the most sense. After going over to FCP a few years back I was frustrated by its way of doing things and slowed by FCP needing two steps to do things I was used to doing in one on M100. So when I first saw Producer I immediately felt at home again, just with a lot more stuff. (See: http://library.creativecow.net/articles/griffin_nick/wish.php)

In fact, I was so impressed with the new Media 100 that I upgraded from Producer to HDE.

So why keep FCP around at all and why spring for the upgrade to its current version? Because it's sooooo cheap that it would be nuts to not get the FCP package. Compressor and DVD Studio alone, the two components I use the most, are well worth the money all by themselves. Oh yea, and one of these days I'm going to take the time to learn the "Color" application.(One of these days.) Color used to be $20k and now it's part of the bundle? Kind of made the $400 upgrade seem like a major duh.

The ability to return to FCP projects as well as older M100-produced jobs also makes a dual boot system highly desirable even if everything created new here is done on M100. Of course another substantial advantage is the fact that M100 can use media digitized by FCP so the system really does offer maximum flexibility.

Return to posts index

Joe Ciupik
on Feb 13, 2008 at 6:19:15 pm

Thanks Nick. I did read your article before I submitted this post. It was one of the few that I could find about the Media100. Like others who started with M100, I hate to leave the product because of it's simplicity and ability. My hope is that it becomes what Apple was in the early 90's. On the rebound and on the fast track back to respectability!

Return to posts index

David Colantuoni
on Feb 13, 2008 at 8:01:23 pm

However, there is so little positive about the company and the future of Media 100.

Joe,

I don't know where you get this notion. Boris FX has been in the industry for many years and has a proven track record of delivering products. Ever since Boris has purchased the company there has been nothing but a steady stream of positive news and products coming from Media 100. For 2 years we have delivered more releases than Media 100 or Optibase did in the same time frame, and we are about to start talking about our next release. So, take Boris' 15 or so years in the industry and look at what we have done with development with Media 100 and you will see the future looks pretty good. Is there the marketing machine behind Media 100 like there used to be, absolutely not. But we are still making good solid products for our customers. I've listed the major Media 100 releases since Boris purchased Media 100:

Oct-05 Boris FX purchase of Media 100
Dec-05 Release of Media 100i 8.2.3 for Mac OS Tiger Support
Jun-06 Release of V11, Intro AJA Hardware, PCI-E
Sep-06 V11.5 Support for P2 Format
Oct-06 V11.5.1 Release of Media 100 Producer, DV I/O
Apr-07 V11.6 Support for Intel Macintosh Computers Univ.Bin.
Jul-06 V11.6.2 Apple Pro Res Support
Oct-07 Media 100 V12, Progressive Frame Support, Boris Filter Integration
Dec-07 Support for Mac OS 10.5 Leopard for Media 100 Producer
Jan-08 Hardware based support for new Mac OS Leopard

Thanks for considering Media 100!

Dave

Return to posts index

Joe Ciupik
on Feb 13, 2008 at 8:17:15 pm

Hi Dave,

Believe me when I say I believe in Media100. I have since I purchased my first system in 2000. It is comforting to know that Boris is now behind Media100. The consistent and frequent updates are a BIG positive. I should have been more clear in my statement about "so little positive". This stems from "others" who, much like windows users in the 90's badmouthed the superior Mac. Today, Apple is the better system by far and growing in market share. I believe and hope that Media 100, with Boris behind it, will become the Apple of the future.

You have an ally here. I can read in your statement that you work for Boris so getting the confirmation from you that the long term commitment to the Media 100 is solid goes a long way. Marketing means squat to me. I don't follow but rather choose my own path. WIth your help and help from others on this post, choosing the right path will be an easier decision.

Thanks to all for your input. Please keep it coming!!!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]