COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Felix Halter
jagged edges RED 4.1
on Feb 7, 2008 at 5:44:44 pm

Since quite some time I'm getting these jagged edges:
http://www.baldwyn.ch/pages/Firmen.html
and I can't get rid of them anymore.
They appear in RED 4.1 with Producer and with HDx. They don't appear in 8.2.2 and RED 3.
I tried all different project settings, and tried out what they write in the Boris forum.
If I hook up the monitor to 8.2.2 and RED 3 everything looks fine.

any hope for me?

Felix

Return to posts index

Kieran Matthew
Re: jagged edges RED 4.1
on Feb 8, 2008 at 6:06:35 pm

Hi Felix,

I get this from time to time. What codec are you using? Have you tried with different colours? I've seen the DV based codecs do this with strong reds (among others)

K

Return to posts index

Felix Halter
on Feb 8, 2008 at 6:36:43 pm

Hi Kieran
mostly I still use media 100i lossless codec. Sometimes DVCPRO 50.
What puzzles me is that I don't have this problem at all in 8.2.2 with RED3, only in Producer and HDx with RED 4.

Felix

Return to posts index

Kieran Matthew
on Feb 8, 2008 at 7:06:19 pm

Hi Felix,

I've even encountered this problem with Boris title tools inside FCP - even when working in 10-bit uncompressed.

somewhere between RED's 3 and 4 something went amiss I reckon.

Are you Intel or PPC?

K

Return to posts index

Felix Halter
on Feb 8, 2008 at 8:13:02 pm

Kieran

"Are you Intel or PPC?"
Same problem with both.

"Have you tried with different colours?"
It doesn't show as bad with other colors, but then again - why did it look so good on 8.2.2 and RED3? I'm sure there must be something to adjust somewhere or other users would have complained a long time ago!
I would have tried the Boris-forum but then again I was thinking that it had to do with media 100 as host.

I could try installing RED3 again with HDx and Producer but I don't realy like to step back to ancient versions.

thanks

Felix

Return to posts index

Felix Halter
on Feb 9, 2008 at 9:02:02 am

Kieran

as you are in PAL-land could you please try out the following title:
Arial, size 216, in the styles palette choose bevels Nr. 1 America, and put this on a black background.
Does the edge of the A look jagged as on my first post?

Thanks for helping

Felix

Return to posts index

Kieran Matthew
on Feb 9, 2008 at 4:26:12 pm

Hi Felix,

It seems to look slightly better (making it vector text seemed to help) but not that great

clicky

HTH

K

Return to posts index

Felix Halter
on Feb 10, 2008 at 8:47:28 am

Thank's for your help, Kieran

My title was vector based too, but yours looks a lot better.

I tried RED 3 in media 100 11.5.1 and it looks as bad as RED 4.1 in media 100 12.1.1 HDx and Producer.

Now here is an interesting one:
If I toggle the resolution in RED between full, half and quarter I see the changes on my monitor. But if I toggle quality between high and draft I don't see any change at all, same as if I press "display HQ frame to monitor", no change. So it looks like my system is outputing draft quality only!! Where can I change that?
(btw. play real time effects and titles in draft quality is not checked in the project settings of m 100) And one more thing, Direct export from RED to QT looks fine.

So where is that little button I'm missing which was not there in 8.2.2 ?

Greetings from Felix on a sunny Sunday.

Return to posts index

Kieran Matthew
on Feb 10, 2008 at 3:22:16 pm

Hi Felix,

I'm inclined to see this as a bug actually. Although mine came out (slightly) better, I did get some awful jaggies a few times and it seemed to just go that way all of a sudden.

It might be worth sending that pic to BorisFX support and seeing if they have any comments.

K

Return to posts index

Felix Halter
on Feb 10, 2008 at 4:12:00 pm

Hi Kieran

does your external monitor update if you change the preview quality from draft to high? Mine doesn't. It seems to stay at draft all the time. Only the comp window in RED changes. But then again my external monitor updates if I change the resolution (full/half/quarter).
We'll see if somebody else chimes in ...

Thanks, Felix

Return to posts index

Kieran Matthew
on Feb 13, 2008 at 3:50:18 pm

Hi Felix,

ARRGH!!!

This has just bitten me in the proverbial. I'm doing an important DVD for clients and all the overlay files are coming out jaggy! Just like your text.

I've e-mailed Boris tech support, perhaps they have an answer.

K

Return to posts index

Kieran Matthew
on Feb 27, 2008 at 10:54:05 am

Felix,

I've just installed RED 4.2.1 and that seems (from my limited tests this morning) to have fixed this problem.

HTH

K

Return to posts index

Felix Halter
on Feb 27, 2008 at 8:37:42 pm

Hi Kieran

Downloaded RED 4.2.1 Tossed the prefs of m100 and RED (as a longtime media100 user the first thing I normally do) and tried the psf timeline, but nothing changed. Different styles are still jaggy (look like draft mode).

Felix

Return to posts index

Kieran Matthew
on Feb 27, 2008 at 10:12:37 pm

Hi Felix,

Could I get a copy of the project file? I could test it on my set-up and see if I get the same result as you.

K

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]