MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

M100,FCP dual boot with Adobe suite. Advice please.

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Smith
M100,FCP dual boot with Adobe suite. Advice please.
on Feb 5, 2008 at 12:39:55 am

Hi Folks

I'm running a G5 Quad dual boot AJA with M100 and FCP on each side. I've just added to my arsenal by getting the Adobe Master Collection (heaps more then I'll probably need, but who knows.)

As I'll be using the Adobe products on boths sides FCP and M100 what do people recommend I do (in terms of where best to load it) for best performance. I'm reluctant to load them on my external drive at the moment because it's playing up a bit. I'd like to hear how other people run adobe products on their dual boot systems.

Cheers
John

Return to posts index

Kieran Matthew
Re: M100,FCP dual boot with Adobe suite. Advice please.
on Feb 5, 2008 at 3:33:17 pm

Hi John,

I only have a few Adobe apps, and I just installed them on both partitions.

However as you have a lot of them you might want to consider installing them on one partition, cloning it to the other then installing the media 100/FCP AJA drivers, much as you probably did when you first set up the system.

K

Return to posts index

John Smith
on Feb 7, 2008 at 9:05:49 pm

thanks for that Kieran. I might do that.

But I was wondering, when you load your Adobe products on both sides what happens with free download updates?

Will it update on both sides? Presumably only the side you choose to register will have the benefits of any of the free updates? Or can you register both sides somehow?

Cheers
John

Return to posts index

Floh Peters
on Feb 8, 2008 at 5:45:51 am

[John Smith] "Will it update on both sides? Presumably only the side you choose to register will have the benefits of any of the free updates? Or can you register both sides somehow?
"

You donĀ“t need to register both sides. Simply activate all software on the first partition before cloning, then do the clone. You can download all updates then on both sides (when booting on one partition, you can update it, then boot the other partition and update there). Your software usually is licensed per Computer, so even technically this should be perfectly legal.

Return to posts index

Michael Rosing
on Feb 18, 2008 at 8:32:08 pm

Could you please explain why you installed your Adobe apps on both drives/partitions? Couldn't you just run the Adobe applications off of the one drive or partition where they are installed, even if you boot from a different drive? Thanks.

Return to posts index

John Smith
on Feb 20, 2008 at 9:24:27 am

Thanks for your reply Floh.

When you say clone. Do you mean just copy the already registered and up and running adobe 'applications' folders into the applications folder on the other boot drive?

Michael - I'm know expert with this but as far as I know - having some of programs running from one drive and some from another can cause problems if you want to be able to share resources and work seamlessly between different programs in a single session. Especially if they're programs which are designed to talk to each other.

Cheers
John

Return to posts index

Floh Peters
on Feb 20, 2008 at 10:24:04 am

No, I mean something like e.g. Carbon Copy Cloner to do an exact copy of the drive

Return to posts index

John Smith
on Feb 25, 2008 at 8:01:13 pm

Thanks for that Floh,

but I have another question - I think I might be being a bit dumb here...

so okay. I clone the complete drive (which is actually the one that has the M100Hde on it) and copy it over to the other boot drive...

But what happens to all the stuff on the other drive (the one I just copied to with the FCP suite on it along with some other goodies on it). Also I guess I'll have to uninstal the M100 software from that side also right?

Sorry I used to have a geek that did all this stuff for me.

Cheers
John

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]