MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Opening M100

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David IsskoOpening M100
by on Jan 17, 2008 at 11:40:36 am

Ok, this has been going on for months. How can I double click on an established project icon so that M100 opens up the project instead of every single time asking to create a new project in my 12.0.3 on my HDe?

Thanks

Return to posts index

David C.Re: Opening M100
by on Jan 17, 2008 at 3:26:57 pm

This works for me on 12.1.1, I'll have to see if it's a 12.0.3 thing. You could toss your preferences and see if that fixes it.

Dave

Return to posts index

Michael SloweRe: Opening M100
by on Jan 17, 2008 at 4:00:23 pm

No, David C. it has been happening for months, if not years, ever since I have been editing in HD, that's from version 11 isn't it?

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Floh PetersRe: Opening M100
by on Jan 17, 2008 at 4:13:49 pm

Yup, it happens since V10 on a more or less regular basis. Usually if the app is closed and you double-click a project file, chances are ~30% that the project actually opens, at least on our systems. The rest of the time the app will launch and ask to save a new Project.

Return to posts index

David C.Re: Opening M100
by on Jan 17, 2008 at 4:17:38 pm

If I create a new project, titled "test open project". Save it to my desktop. Quit Media 100. Then double click the "test open project" (this is the clap board icon) that file opens and does not prompt me to create a new project. If I close that "test open project" file, choose create new project and title that file "test open project2" save that to the desktop, quit Media 100, then double click "test open project2" it opens the "test open project2" project (the clap board icon).

You'll need to tell me more about what you are doing, I don't see that engineering has fixed this issue in version 12. So something is missing in my test, you'll have to give me some clues to reproduce it. I'm on 12.1.1.

Dave

Return to posts index

by on Jan 17, 2008 at 4:47:35 pm

[David C.] "You'll need to tell me more about what you are doing, I don't see that engineering has fixed this issue in version 12. So something is missing in my test, you'll have to give me some clues to reproduce it. I'm on 12.1.1.
"

Dave,

I have tried to find a way to reproduce that reliable for quite some time. The point is that usually we do quite a bit of editing between opening and closing a project, and somewhat in this process triggers this problem.
One thing that I think is 100% reproducible is that if you open a project, crash the app and then double-click a project to launch Media 100, the "Save New Project

Return to posts index

John SmithRe: Opening M100
by on Jan 17, 2008 at 9:50:17 pm

Yup, happens on my suite as well - it's really annoying. Glad someone has bought it up.

Cheers
John

Return to posts index

David IsskoRe: Opening M100
by on Jan 18, 2008 at 4:29:27 am

This is so funny that so many people have this issue but we have ALL just lived with it.

I save my projects to a folder on my Mac HDD and when I am using the project on a regular basis over a few days/weeks etc, I save an alias to the desktop. No matter what I do - double clicking on the original or alias, pretty much all the time the M100 asks to save a new project. Nothing different from what I have been doing for the 12 years or so previously.

Can you please help us David C?
Thanks
David Issko

Return to posts index

Michael SloweRe: Opening M100
by on Jan 18, 2008 at 10:20:30 am

David, it's simpler than that. If I have a project, maybe been in existence for weeks it's in my Project Folder within Media 100. I boot up, open Media 100 and straight away get the box asking me to name a new project. It is no big deal because it takes a second to cancel that and then click on my Project icon and I get my folder with the projects and I can open whichever one I am working on. Just a slight irritation that's all, but I am amazed that you didn't know about it.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

by on Jan 18, 2008 at 11:18:53 am

[Michael Slowe] " I boot up, open Media 100 and straight away get the box asking me to name a new project"

Michael,

you should check if you have the "Remember Last Project Opened" checkbox unchecked under the "General" preferences. What you describe is correct behavior if this box is unchecked. The point is that double-clicking on a Project should launch Media 100 and open the clicked project instead of showing the "Save new Project

Return to posts index

Chris ClephaneRe: Opening M100 - Rage O Meter - Explained & Illustrated.
by on Jan 18, 2008 at 10:18:34 pm

Ok. I have been enduring this as well.

I tried to bring it up a few months ago--but some very prompt replies from Media100 (you guys rock!) prompted me to quickly retreat to "double check my facts" before grumbling further.((I try to be careful about public grumblings.))

After double checking my facts & relative sanity I never got around to posting a follow-up on this topic....So thanks for starting this thread again.

---------
The simple fact is:

What we want to happen upon launching the Media100 application...most often does not happen.

The following scenarios can be reproduced with 100% repeatability on my system with no variation.

In the spirit of fun and the frustration that---undoubtedly many of us share with these quirks--- I have included my own personal "Rage-O-Meter" rating for each particular quirk.

-----------------

SCENARIO A:

Launch Media100 application directly from Icon in dock.
("Remember last project" is NOT SELECTED in preferences.)

RESULT: Presented with dialog to "Save New Project As."

RAGE-O-Meter: No pain. Acts exactly as expected. Gold star.

-----------------

SCENARIO B:
Double Click on previously created "Project A" icon to launch application.
("Remember last project" is NOT SELECTED in preferences.)

RESULT: Presented with dialog to "Save New Project As."

RAGE-O-Meter: This is maddening.

I must then use directories/dialogs to open "Project A"from within the Media100 application. This in spite of the fact that I initiated the OPEN process by double-clicking on the desired project's icon.....

-----------------

SCENARIO C:
Launch Media100 application directly from Icon in dock.
(Remember last project IS SELECTED in preferences.)
Opens last project opened.
RAGE-O-Meter: No negativity reported. Blood pressure fine.

-----------------

SCENARIO D:
Double click "Project A" program icon.
("Project B" was the last project worked on in the Media 100 application. Remember last project IS Selected in the preferences.)
RESULT: Project B opens in the Media 100 Application, but I am presented with the dialog "Could Not Complete Your Request Because There Is Already An Open Project: Close the currently open project and try again."

RAGE-O-Meter: Quietly Maddening.
Why does the application not realize I was trying to open a different project? Not the last one it had open?

-----------------

SCENARIO E:
Double click "Project A" program icon.
("Project A" was the last project worked on in the Media 100 application. "Remember last project" IS Selected in the preferences.)
RESULT: Project A opens in the Media 100 Application, but I am presented with the dialog "Could Not Complete Your Request Because There Is Already An Open Project: Close the currently open project and try again."

RAGE-O-METER: KING-KONG-ON THE LOOSE!.
I can't open Project A because Project A is already open?
Come on. (Swatting at biplanes!)

----------

Ok that's it.
Hopefully there was a laugh in there for someone--and hopefully a nugget or two of useful info for the code-jockeys.
(To me it seems like some of the procedures/calls/checks are out of temporal order.)

Each of these SCENARIOS was performed after exiting the Media100 application. Once the application is open and a project has been opened...everything behaves as expected.
Its upon application launch that things are sketchy.

Thoughts? Replies?

I edit video. I post sometimes.
I fix things. I eat marshmallows.
I play drums. I drink scotch.
I like TV.

Done typing now.

Return to posts index

David C.Re: Opening M100 - Rage O Meter - Explained & Illustrated.
by on Jan 23, 2008 at 2:46:56 pm

Hi,

I know about the issue as it has been reported before, there was no report of this in SQA over the years, I looked back. That's not surprising, as we may test differently than you edit. I know I tend to have one project with many different bins and programs when I am testing a new version. That's just the way I work.

Bottom line, we're going to spend some engineering time looking at it. BTW- I have seen Chris' example E before.

My only suggestion to help some people would be if you intend to work on the same project, launch the application from the application icon instead of the project icon, make sure you set the preference to remember your last project saved. That may help a bit of your frustration.

Dave

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]