MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

the white stipe

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Smith
the white stipe
on Jan 15, 2008 at 5:43:20 am

Hi fellow M100 users.

I have posted this on the DVDSP forum as well because... well - you'll see why below.

I've got a bunch of short 16:9 clips on a menued DVD that play fine on most players. The problem is on some set top machines on a (non 16:9) TV it plays with a thin white stripe across the top (just below the top black band) and on different DVD players on the same (non 16:9) tv it plays fine without the white stripe.

The project was cut on Media100 (V11), graded in FCP(5.1), encoded in compressor(v2) and authored in DVDSP(4.1). Yehaa! They're all just about to be upgraded.

But in the mean time. In the SP simulator it plays back like this also. Plays fine on the mac DVD player and on some set top machines.

Anyone come across this and have any idea why this is happening?

Cheers
John

Return to posts index

Kieran Matthew
Re: the white stipe
on Jan 15, 2008 at 10:47:00 am

Hi John,

I have encountered something similar to this. The fact that you see it on some but not others, I think, is because different machines decide differently where the edge of frame is, some show the most extreme upper line, some crop it off.

The white line itself - if it is the issue I encounter - is actually on the footage. I have found that certain cameras, the PD150 for example, seem to add this line. It is most noticable on dark backgrounds. A strong red even gives a green line. Try shrinking the image to see it. It is only on one filed, so viewing it on a progressive screen like FCP's canvans won't show it.

When I make DVDs, I add a caption to 'crop' the top line off, replacing it with black. This also gets rid of the green line that Media 100 DV out adds, and the problems caused by the field dominance reversal inside Media 100 - but that's another story.

Obviously, this might not be your problem, but try cropping the top line off with black anyway, to see if it helps.

K

Return to posts index

John Smith
on Jan 15, 2008 at 10:37:16 pm

Hi Kieran

thanks heaps for your reply. What you're saying makes sense to me. I think it probably is the problem.

I can think of a few ways of cropping this, but I'm interested to know more detail about how you do it - when you say you make a caption... do you mean that in Media100 you put a title or composition and put a black band over the video clip?

Cheers
John

Return to posts index

Kieran Matthew
on Jan 16, 2008 at 3:57:29 pm

Hi John,

[John Smith] " do you mean that in Media100 you put a title or composition and put a black band over the video clip? "

Yep. I'm using a MacPro so the tile/composition renders in real time which helps. I also render this title in a DV codec so the resulting byref export is already in a form that Compressor likes. Bitvice is great, but very slow on a MacPro compared to Compressor.

Having said that, I notice that you moved to FCP for grading. In this case it may well be simpler to nest your sequence and use the crop controls to cut of the top lines. As this is the final port of call before encoding it may well be better to do it there.

Don't try to crop in Compressor though, the result is not good!

K

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]