MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Best config for M100 and FCP on the same system?

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andy TaplinBest config for M100 and FCP on the same system?
by on Jan 11, 2008 at 2:17:07 pm

Hi All

I guess this has been covered before but I could not find much relating to setup.

Basically I want to run FCP, DVDSP, Motion etc. on the same MacPro using the same AJA hardware as my M100HD.

Is the best way to do this to install FCP on a separate drive with a separate operating system so it's completely isolated from M100. Or can I install FCP on another internal drive but use the M100 boot system. In other words do you need to boot a separate disk and OS to run FCP so as not to upset M100?

Could I run DVDSP on its own on the M100 system to save re-booting every time I want to do some DVD work?

Thanks for any advice.

Andy

Return to posts index

Floh PetersRe: Best config for M100 and FCP on the same system?
by on Jan 11, 2008 at 2:35:34 pm

[Andy Taplin] "Could I run DVDSP on its own on the M100 system to save re-booting every time I want to do some DVD work? "

Here

Return to posts index

Kieran MatthewRe: Best config for M100 and FCP on the same system?
by on Jan 11, 2008 at 2:59:56 pm

Hi Andy,

[Andy Taplin] "Is the best way to do this to install FCP on a separate drive with a separate operating system so it's completely isolated from M100."

Just FYI, you don't need a separate drive, just a separate partition. On my system, to allow for the other internal bays to be a RAID system, I partitioned a 320GB drive into two 160Gb partitions. Like Floh I installed the software into one partition and then used Carbon Copy Cloner to copy this install to the other partition.

Booting with the alt key down allows you to choose the partition (or drive) to boot from (I named the partitions FCP & Media100 for obvious reasons!)

HTH

K

Return to posts index

Andy TaplinRe: Best config for M100 and FCP on the same system?
by on Jan 11, 2008 at 3:24:29 pm

Thanks a lot guys for the speedy reply.

I think I get it:-

Install FCP Studio onto my existing drive that has M100, AFX etc on it - but leave off the FCP Kona drivers.

Clone this drive (my default boot drive) to a new drive or partition called FCP or whatever.

De-install M100 from the FCP drive and then install the FCP Kona drivers.

So I can then use DVDSP from the M100 drive, if working in M100? and also Motion and Compressor?

Andy

Return to posts index

by on Jan 11, 2008 at 3:28:30 pm

[Andy Taplin] "So I can then use DVDSP from the M100 drive, if working in M100? and also Motion and Compressor? "

Yes, you can use everything except FCP with the hardware. You can even run FCP with DV/FireWire I/O.

Return to posts index

by on Jan 11, 2008 at 3:37:56 pm

[Floh Peters] "You can even run FCP with DV/FireWire I/O."

But not with 9 pin deck control as this would use the Kona?

Return to posts index

by on Jan 11, 2008 at 3:47:54 pm

[Andy Taplin] "But not with 9 pin deck control as this would use the Kona? "

Media 100 installs an Aja OEM driver, which also has the RS422 support. So yes, you can use the Kona 9pin serial connection in FCP on your Media 100 partition without the Aja Kona drivers installed.

Return to posts index

by on Jan 11, 2008 at 3:56:41 pm

Thanks Floh

So it's the SDI/analogue in/outs on the Kona that won't work on the same partition with M100 but you can edit and acquire footage via Firewire? This is fine for me as I'm just fiddling with FCP and will still use M100 for anything serious :-)

Cheers

Andy

Return to posts index

by on Jan 11, 2008 at 3:58:49 pm

[Andy Taplin] "So it's the SDI/analogue in/outs on the Kona that won't work on the same partition with M100 but you can edit and acquire footage via Firewire? This is fine for me as I'm just fiddling with FCP and will still use M100 for anything serious :-)
"

Yes, no second partition needed for that. You should be good to go.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]