MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Media 100 and Sony EX1 followup

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Felix HalterMedia 100 and Sony EX1 followup
by on Jan 11, 2008 at 11:22:15 am

Got my EX1 three days ago. Tried the following configs on my HDx System:

1. EX1 HD-SDI to HD-SDI Media 100 with downconvert to SD in media100. Works nice with all the realtime conversions to 4:3 etc. But no embedded audio transfer via SDI, no TC and no machine control via firewire. Machine control via firewire seems to work only if one also transfers the video signal via firewire.

2. SDI transfer EX1 with a downconverted SD-signal from the EX1 to media 100 SDI works even with embedded audio (no TC, no machie control)

3. EX1 HD-SDI to HD-SDI 1080i 25 Video transfer ok, no audio, no TC, no machine control, but I found a way to route the analog audio from the camera trough the DVCPRO-50 deck and into media 100.

The SxS cards are transferred very fast into the MacBookPro. I also tried to format the card in the camera (don't format it anywhere else!) I then tried to add clips back onto the card in my MBP, put it back in the EX1 and it would read the files again with all the metadata.

Very nice. So you could actually backup your data on the HDs and put them back to the card any time later to be played in the EX1.

Return to posts index

Floh PetersRe: Media 100 and Sony EX1 followup
by on Jan 11, 2008 at 11:38:03 am

Very interesting, and great that you shared this here. Looking forward to hear more about the workflow with the camera.

[Felix Halter] "Machine control via firewire seems to work only if one also transfers the video signal via firewire. "

Do you speak about the camera here or about Media 100? Since FireWire deck control with Media 100 works also when not using the FireWire video input but e.g. the SDI in. And I would be surprised if the camera would act differently there.

Anyway, I hope (without actually knowing any details about it) that Media 100 will do some work on supporting the EX files natively, similar to the P2 workflow today.

Return to posts index

Felix HalterRe: Media 100 and Sony EX1 follow up
by on Jan 11, 2008 at 5:11:19 pm

Media 100 does not recognize my EX1 via firewire at all. (It recognizes an old TRV-900 via firewire).

Return to posts index

Michael SloweRe: Media 100 and Sony EX1 followup
by on Jan 12, 2008 at 12:02:53 pm

Felix, thanks, very interesting as Floh says. I presume you have the HDx Media 100 board as do I. I understood that that can handle embedded audio through the HD-SDI from the camera but only in SD. You seem to be indicating that you can't get audio in either HD or SD. What was the picture quality like with this direc transfer from the camera? Some people thought that it was degraded when brought in through the SDI output rather than as files from the card, which of course, Media 100 can't handle yet.

Return to posts index

Floh PetersRe: Media 100 and Sony EX1 followup
by on Jan 12, 2008 at 4:27:50 pm

I [Michael Slowe] "You seem to be indicating that you can't get audio in either HD or SD."

I think Felix wrote:"2. SDI transfer EX1 with a downconverted SD-signal from the EX1 to media 100 SDI works even with embedded audio (no TC, no machie control)"

Return to posts index

Felix HalterRe: Media 100 and Sony EX1 followup
by on Jan 12, 2008 at 6:43:38 pm

Right. Configuration Nr. 2 works with embedded audio, which means that the EX1 is doing the downconversion and you enter the media 100 via SD-SDI.

On the other configurations you have to find your own way to get your analog signal from the EX1 into your media 100.

Yes, I have the HDx version.

I don't think that the picture gets degraded through the SDI transfer.

I can only acquire a few seconds of HD because my drives are too slow, working in SD only up to now, but seeing the huge difference of the HD-1080i quality I'll get some fast RAIDs soon.

btw there is also a possibility to get the HD signal of the EX1 out to a HD-TV via the enclosed component cable. This component exit can also be changed in the menu to be either SD or HD.

Return to posts index

Michael SloweRe: Media 100 and Sony EX1 followup
by on Jan 13, 2008 at 11:00:34 am

Sorry, yes, I misunderstood. I was confused by the fact that with the Media 100 HDx board only embedded audio in SD can be ingested. The new AJA board can handle both HD and SD embedded audio.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]