MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

can't see sound fx Media 100 8.2.1

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Fechtmeister
can't see sound fx Media 100 8.2.1
on Dec 18, 2007 at 1:02:52 am

Hi there I'm working on an older system Media 100 8.2.1 or something and when I try to edit the audio I don't get the choice for the audio FX window and I'm wondering what to do. Did I not install something? I installed Boris Graffiti but not sure that I can open the audio effects window.. it is grayed out.

Any ideas.

Return to posts index

Kieran Matthew
Re: can't see sound fx Media 100 8.2.1
on Dec 18, 2007 at 2:20:12 am

Hi Paul,

You get the Audio EQ and effects window by selecting it under the window menu. However, not all software levels had access to the audio FX - LE's didn't for example.

Which software level is the suite you are on?

K

Return to posts index

David C.
on Dec 18, 2007 at 6:22:15 pm

You can upgrade to XR functionality for $595. That will give you the Audio functionality you need.

Return to posts index

Paul Fechtmeister
on Dec 18, 2007 at 10:56:40 pm

Thanks for the replies.. we have it on two systems and it's greyed out on the other two....LE.... LX or something.

On the systems that have the audio effects menus I seem to only be able to select the equalizer and not others... is there a trick or are the dynamics options only available on the more expensive versions.

I was hoping to normalize and compress audio and just make it simpler.

I suppose the XR is the only option, is this available for the LE and the LX?

Also, we are running 8.2.1 how high.. if any.. can we upgrade?

Return to posts index

Kieran Matthew
on Dec 18, 2007 at 11:56:10 pm

Hi Paul,

[Paul Fechtmeister] "On the systems that have the audio effects menus I seem to only be able to select the equalizer and not others... is there a trick or are the dynamics options only available on the more expensive versions. "

Are you trying to apply a dynamics effect to synced clips? It won't let you and will grey them out. The EQ and Reverb should work though.

One work around is to add a master audio clip to the bus and apply the dynamics to that.

[Paul Fechtmeister] "I suppose the XR is the only option, is this available for the LE and the LX? Also, we are running 8.2.1 how high.. if any.. can we upgrade?
"

The "tune up" works for any software version/level and brings it up to 8.2.3a (which is a free update for your 8.2.1 BTW) but brings XR (software) functionality.

K

Return to posts index

Paul Fechtmeister
on Dec 19, 2007 at 3:04:54 am

Hmm.. free upgrade...nice. Is there a link on their site or should I just call them. Their tech support which I'm sure we have no longer paid for is expensive and seems elusive.. maybe just my lack of effort.

also, you mentioned synched audio clips... alright.. what if I unsych them.. then can I create a composition or something?

One of the main reasons I'm wondering about all of this is that I'm helping out with a high school TV studio and the kids audio is all over the place.. VO.... CD music.... ambient...and the levels are wacko.. thought that their might be a better way than chasing the levels in the track/clip audio mixer.

Any good tutorials on this?

I can tell you one thing... I have a lot to learn and am learning a lot about audio.

Thanks for all of your help. The COW rocks.

Return to posts index

Floh Peters
on Dec 19, 2007 at 7:32:47 am

[Paul Fechtmeister] "Hmm.. free upgrade...nice. Is there a link on their site or should I just call them."

The free upgrade to 8.2.3 is here. This will not change anything with your audio problem, though. The "smallest" system at the time did have no audio effects, the next larger had an EQ and only the big systems had also the dynamics effects. To see if the problem is related to the stereo audio clips you could select only one of your tracks in the upper corner of your Audio Effects window and see if you now can use the dynamics section. If not, you would need to upgrade...

[Paul Fechtmeister] "thought that their might be a better way than chasing the levels in the track/clip audio mixer."

First thing would be to really bring the levels into the ballpark of where they are supposed to be. There is no easy way around that.
Additionally you can use a Master Audio track (should be at the bottom of your timeline. You can create clips there), and if available, apply a Compressor/Limiter to it. This makes sure that your overall levels are good (more or less).

Return to posts index

Floh Peters
on Dec 19, 2007 at 7:36:28 am

[Paul Fechtmeister] "Hmm.. free upgrade...nice. Is there a link on their site or should I just call them."

The free upgrade to 8.2.3 is here. This will not change anything with your audio problem, though. The "smallest" system at the time did have no audio effects, the next larger had an EQ and only the big systems had also the dynamics effects. To see if the problem is related to the stereo audio clips you could select only one of your tracks in the upper corner of your Audio Effects window and see if you now can use the dynamics section. If not, you would need to upgrade...

[Paul Fechtmeister] "thought that their might be a better way than chasing the levels in the track/clip audio mixer."

First thing would be to really bring the levels into the ballpark of where they are supposed to be. There is no easy way around that.
Additionally you can use a Master Audio track (should be at the bottom of your timeline. You can create clips there), and if available, apply a Compressor/Limiter to it. This makes sure that your overall levels are good (more or less).

Return to posts index

Paul Fechtmeister
on Dec 19, 2007 at 7:16:07 pm

Thanks for your responses. One last question. Can the Media100 systems that are currently 8.1.1 be safely upgraded to the 8.2.3 which worked nicely on the machine that already had 8.2.1.

I've just become a little paranoid and I'd hate to mess something up that would require a complete reinstall.

Thanks again for your help. The help here is priceless.

Cheers. :)

Return to posts index

David C.
on Dec 19, 2007 at 7:31:27 pm

Nothing is 100% guaranteed. But, you should just be able to uninstall 8.2.1 and install 8.2.3a. The upgrade is $595 that will get you XR functionality (without the real time benefits because you do not have the HDRfx or Real-timeFX card). But your audio issues will be solved.

Dave

Return to posts index

Floh Peters
on Dec 19, 2007 at 7:34:41 pm

[Paul Fechtmeister] "Thanks for your responses. One last question. Can the Media100 systems that are currently 8.1.1 be safely upgraded to the 8.2.3 which worked nicely on the machine that already had 8.2.1.
"

The installation is not the problem. The only point is that the upgrade from V8.1 to V8.2.x is not free, it requires a new encryption code that matches your board. So if you don

Return to posts index

Paul Fechtmeister
on Dec 19, 2007 at 10:58:10 pm

Thanks for your thoughtful replies... I think that we'll just stay with the older systems, for now.

Shortly we are going to purchase 1 or 2 new systems around ($3000) each and would welcome any recommendations for a studio that has 3 G4s and one G5... and we're running two LE's and two LX's with one system with Media 100 7.1... two with 8.1.. and one with 8.2.3.

Wondering if all of that hardware(breakout box, mackie sound control and scsi's) will become obsolete and what might best compliment the systems we have. One of the systems is a single processor and we are definitely wanting to purchase a multiprocessor systems. Wondering if the software only solution was the was to go and then buy a aja or black magic external firewire input box or the like.

I suppose any upgrade should start to focus on the fact that HD is a reality and we will be phasing it in over the next couple of years.

Don't want to overdue it on the questions.

Return to posts index

David C.
on Dec 20, 2007 at 3:43:07 am

Why would you even consider purchasing anything other than a Media 100? You've been using software and hardware reliably for maybe 5,6,7 years? Tell me what type of high tech device can give you that much use for your $$$. Your documents and media would move seamlessly to your new systems. The AJA is proven in the industry and we work very closely with their engineering; and Boris has proven that he is making a go with Media 100, Media 100 is a nice complement to his existing products (much like the other NLE's out there). So, why consider anything else? Don't get me wrong, FCP and Avid are good systems and are a good solution for some people, but your a prime candidate for a Media 100 upgrade. Plus your old Media 100 systems are worth something as a trade in. Call us if you decide to go with Media 100.

Dave

Return to posts index

MichaelR
on Dec 31, 2007 at 3:45:28 pm

"Your documents and media would move seamlessly to your new systems."

I wish this was true, because I would like to upgrade my Media 100 systems.

I recently evaluated the latest version of Producer, and it does not play my old titles. My programs were produced in 640 x 480. Although Producer has no problem playing back the 640 x 480 clips in the A-B tracks, it can't handle them in the graphics track. If I re-import the titles individually and replace them manually it will work, but that is impractical with hundreds of titles. These titles exist as rendered .HAL files in the media folder.

Return to posts index

Floh Peters
Titles, was Re: can't see sound fx Media 100 8.2.1
on Dec 31, 2007 at 5:25:41 pm

From what version of Media 100 are you upgrading? Do you already use Graffiti on your "old" system, or do you still use the old CometCG text generator? There was a step from the old Comet to Graffiti at some point in time, and from there it was not possible to edit the comet files any longer. I am not sure if they will work correctly on Producer, but everything that was created in Graffiti should work (or should rerender correctly).

Return to posts index

MichaelR
Re: Titles, was can't see sound fx Media 100 8.2.1
on Dec 31, 2007 at 5:50:09 pm

I am still using 7.5.1 and the old Comet CG. I understand that it would not be possible to edit those old titles, but Comet created quicktime movies (with a .HAL suffix) that play fine if I bring them in manually in Producer.

Also, I created many 640 x 480 titles in Photoshop (with an alpha channel) that also do not play in the Producer. Again, these were rendered out in 7.5.1, so a quicktime movie exists, Producer just won't play it unless I manually bring it back into Producer.

Finally, the same problem exists for unrendered Photoshop titles in Producer. If I re-import them in Producer, they will be resized and play fine. But if I open an old program from 7.5.1 with an unrendered photoshop title (with alpha) into Producer, I get a dialog that says "the title doesn't match the current frame size and motion will be set to custom", and it won't key.

Return to posts index

Floh Peters
on Dec 20, 2007 at 7:20:54 am

[Paul Fechtmeister] "Don't want to overdue it on the questions.
"

No problem with that.

[Paul Fechtmeister] "Shortly we are going to purchase 1 or 2 new systems around ($3000) each and would welcome any recommendations for a studio that has 3 G4s and one G5... and we're running two LE's and two LX's with one system with Media 100 7.1... two with 8.1.. and one with 8.2.3. "

As Dave said, it seems like you are coming from a Media 100 background, so all your editors will love the new features and possibilities of Media 100 HD (software or hardware systems). The additional flexibility and performance in the known UI will be a dramatic increase in your productivity.
And a good thing these days is that most of the current editing systems (Media 100, FCP, Premiere Pro) do run on the same Aja boards. So if you decide to buy Media 100 with the Aja hardware (with getting an upgrade rebate for your old systems), and if there is something that requires you to finish something in FCP or Premiere you can do that on the same hardware system. We for example had a Producer who absolutely wanted us to finish a project on FCP for some reasons (which made no sense for this particular project), but since we had the hardware for doing this we could say that we could take the job and do it the way he wants, but we highly suggested to do it on Media 100. Finally he agreed (after we acquired all the material into FCP and ran into the first problems during editing the stuff), and we simply rebooted into Media 100 and started editing with the FCP clips in Media 100 right away.

Anyway, I am not working for Media 100 for promoting their systems, but I do agree with Dave C. that you really should have a good look at their current offerings. The V12 software is really great.

Return to posts index

Ajmetz
on Dec 21, 2007 at 2:24:38 pm

I'm a broke graduate/ex-student looking for a job, currently running Media100 7.5. I fancy upgrading at some point too. However, I find the Tune-up is stupidly priced compared to Media100 Producer v12 which doesn't cost much more (although admittedly, I'd probably need a new Mac to run it).

I remember a while ago, I wanted Red 2.5 for OS9, and Boris FX wouldn't sell it to me, because it's ancient. But they did say if I bought the latest Boris FX RED they'd throw in 2.5 for free, ...might be worth asking them if you buy Producer v12, whether they'll also throw in a v8.2.3 license number for free too....ya' never know....=P

Return to posts index

Paul Fechtmeister
on Dec 21, 2007 at 4:19:06 pm

Thanks for the thoughtful input. I agree that the workflow and the familiarity are reasons enough to stick with Media100.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]