MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Media 100 Producer: import a DV 16:9 anamorphic

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alessio GemmaMedia 100 Producer: import a DV 16:9 anamorphic
by on Dec 6, 2007 at 5:03:57 pm

Hello,
I'm getting in trouble with this...

I need to edit in M100 Producer a DV clip 16:9 anamorphic downconverted from a HDV SOny V1 and digitized in FCP.

Media 100 Producer doesn

Return to posts index

FlohRe: Media 100 Producer: import a DV 16:9 anamorphic
by on Dec 6, 2007 at 6:12:17 pm

[Alessio Gemma] "it looks correctly inside FCP (16:9 aspect ratio) but it

Return to posts index

Alessio GemmaRe: Media 100 Producer: import a DV 16:9 anamorphic
by on Dec 6, 2007 at 8:34:19 pm

[floah] "Hmmm, if you did acquire into ProRes in FCP your clips should "fast import" into Producer without any conversion, and without any color change being applied to them. "

The import in Media 100 is not so fast... it does a render (it appears a rendering window) while imports the clip. Here all the settings of the steps I need to create the final DVD: maybe it can help.

[floah] "Can you post a sample clip somewhere so that we can take a look?"

Of course, I'm doing it.. but my ADSL is only 256 Kbps in upload, so it needs a lot (30 sec of clip are near 220 MB in ProRes): I'll alert you when the acquired clip and exported one in SCM are uploaded.

Regards,
Alessio

Return to posts index

by on Dec 6, 2007 at 10:10:32 pm

When you import into Media 100 (page 3 of your PDF), try turning off the "Import media to the Media Standard and Codec" checkbox. Then the files should fast-import, and no color-conversion should happen.

Return to posts index

by on Dec 6, 2007 at 11:03:00 pm

[Floh] "When you import into Media 100 (page 3 of your PDF), try turning off the "Import media to the Media Standard and Codec" checkbox."

If i do this, it imports the clip again, but it's still slow (it appears a rendering window). In add, when I drag this bin in the program, it appears a window

Return to posts index

by on Dec 7, 2007 at 4:54:51 pm

[Alessio Gemma] "If i do this, it imports the clip again, but it's still slow (it appears a rendering window). In add, when I drag this bin in the program, it appears a window

Return to posts index

by on Dec 7, 2007 at 5:43:31 pm

[Floh] "It seems that your problem has 2 parts: I was able to fast import the "Capture.mov" clip; there is a slight delay when the clip gets updated and the audio processed, but no "Rendering Video Track" message appears. If the clip does not fast-import on your system (as long as the "Import Media into..." checkbox is turned off, something seems to be wrong on your system."

Instead of directly import the capture.mov, I tried to export it in self-contained from FCP and import in Media 100.. same window, "Rendering...." but I changed the codec from ProRes HQ to ProRes in the Project Settings and... voil

Return to posts index

by on Dec 7, 2007 at 5:58:35 pm

[Alessio Gemma] "Field dominance: Automatic
Average data rate: 6.5 (Mbps)
2 Pass VBR enabled
Maximum data rate: 7.7 (Mbps)
High quality "

I think that your data rate is pretty high, and I would highly recommend setting the field order to "Upper Field First". I haven

Return to posts index

by on Dec 7, 2007 at 6:29:14 pm

[floh] "I think that your data rate is pretty high, and I would highly recommend setting the field order to "Upper Field First". I haven

Return to posts index

by on Dec 7, 2007 at 6:32:19 pm

[Alessio Gemma] "I'll try the Apple preset for MPEG-2, I noticed one for 90minutes DVD that seems to be the higher quality one: even if, in this setting too, the field dominance is setted to "automatic". "

You FIRST need to select your clip in Compressor and set the Field Dominance in the Info window. Then you can apply a Preset to the clip.

Return to posts index

by on Dec 7, 2007 at 6:41:44 pm

[Floh] "You FIRST need to select your clip in Compressor and set the Field Dominance in the Info window. Then you can apply a Preset to the clip"

Yes, you already told me and be sure I always do this. :-)
I was asking you if I've to check "Interlaced" in the Apple ProRes codec settings for capture (you can do this even when export from edit suite in Media 100 using Quick Time exporter).

Alessio

Return to posts index

by on Dec 7, 2007 at 6:57:19 pm

[Alessio Gemma] "I was asking you if I've to check "Interlaced" in the Apple ProRes codec settings for capture (you can do this even when export from edit suite in Media 100 using Quick Time exporter).
"

Um, no you said that the MPEG2 preset was set to "Automatic" field order, but anyway.
If your source is interlaced you should check the interlaced setting for ProRes. You don

Return to posts index

by on Dec 7, 2007 at 7:31:11 pm

[Floh] "If your source is interlaced you should check the interlaced setting for ProRes."

Ok, so I've to check it everytime I import/export in ProPres. For example, if you export self-contained from FCP or Media 100, it automatically set to "Progressive"... I'm not sure, but it seems like this.

[Floh] "You have a kind of strobe look due to the fact that you have progressive material which seems to have not enough motion blur, but I don

Return to posts index

by on Dec 7, 2007 at 7:34:11 pm

If your source is 1080i50 you should get fields, but it seems like FCP does not properly downconvert from 1080i to PAL SD, since your capture.mov file has no fields. This would explain the strobe look, since the shutter is too fast for progressive due to the fact that it was shot interlaced. Not sure if/how/where you can adjust the way FCP or your camera downconverts your source.

Return to posts index

by on Dec 7, 2007 at 7:42:11 pm

[Floh] "If your source is 1080i50 you should get fields, but it seems like FCP does not properly downconvert from 1080i to PAL SD, since your capture.mov file has no fields. This would explain the strobe look, since the shutter is too fast for progressive due to the fact that it was shot interlaced."

Mmmm.. the strange thing is that I just tried to capture in 1080i from HDMI using Intensity Pro and, even if I see an excellent quality without any strobe effect (in the capture preview window in FCP), than the captured clip has still the strobe effect.

So, if I have FCP and Producer and an HDV camcorder... I'm totally in pain! :-(

Return to posts index

by on Dec 7, 2007 at 7:44:17 pm

Then let

Return to posts index

by on Dec 7, 2007 at 7:51:13 pm

Yeah, I trust in Media 100!

Last thing: if I capture in HDV and I solve the issue of the strobe effect, how can I resize the clip corretly to import in Producer?
Maybe you've a good workflow for me (or maybe you already did it)... I really hope the last one! ;-)

Alessio

Return to posts index

by on Dec 7, 2007 at 7:53:38 pm

[Alessio Gemma] "Last thing: if I capture in HDV and I solve the issue of the strobe effect, how can I resize the clip corretly to import in Producer?
Maybe you've a good workflow for me (or maybe you already did it)... I really hope the last one! ;-)
"

Resize like in from HD to SD, or resize like in from 4:3 to 16:9? If you mean setting your clips to 16:9, simply select the clips in the bin, and then select "Media->Change Media Attributes". Set them to 16:9 there and everything is fine.

Return to posts index

by on Dec 7, 2007 at 8:00:28 pm

[Floah] "Resize like in from HD to SD, or resize like in from 4:3 to 16:9?"

I mean: capture HDV from FireWire in FCP (and see if the strobe goes away), than resize the clip to a SD compatible format (better if 16:9) and, finally, import, edid and export it in Producer.
I don't know how to make my shooted tapes good looking, I'm thinking all the possible ways...

Alessio

Return to posts index

by on Dec 10, 2007 at 3:25:13 pm

Hello Floh,
I solved the issue of the "strobe effect" in the HDMI capture scheme: anyway, it stills remain when I downconvert from HDV to DV and I really don't know how to solve it.
Maybe you were right: my camcorder and FCP don't work well together in the downconversion workflow.
The last thing I can do it's to downcovert through software the 1920x1080 50i ProRes clip, captured through HDMI: anyway, I've to pass from square pixels to non square pixels and downscaling to PAL 720x576 (PAR 1,42): do you thing Compressor is a good choice for this?

Regards,
Alessio

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]