Best way to archive M100 final exports

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
BobP
Best way to archive M100 final exports
by
on Dec 5, 2007 at 3:07:02 pm

Hi Everyone,
I'm wondering what everyone thinks about creating final archive type files of their edits. I would simply export out a quicktime with Media 100 codec, but those files won't play on a machine that doesn't have m100 installed. This has really emerged as a significant obstacle for me using the Media 100 (I have an xs). I could output to dvcam tape, but I'd rather have a nice high quality export from the timeline.

I tried exporting out a quicktime with dvcpro50 codec, but these files played back funky on final cut pro. The fields looked reversed, and the setup level was no good.

Can any of you suggest a high quality, highly-compatible export setting?
Thanks!
Bob

Return to posts index

Kieran Matthew
Re: Best way to archive M100 final exports
on Dec 5, 2007 at 4:20:28 pm

Hi Bob,

I don't know if it qualifies as the best, but you could always export out as Quicktime with the codec set to 'None'. This should open in anything - but be prepared for big files.

One thing though, you will never really escape Media100's colourspace (the thing that gives the odd levels in FCP) and field order unless you use a tool like Boris, AE or Cleaner to change the, as you convert the Media 100 file.

HTH

K

Return to posts index

Floh
by
on Dec 5, 2007 at 7:33:02 pm

You could use Media 100 Producer to export your timelines into e.g. DVCPro50, since Producer can compensate the field order and Colorspace issues. Maybe you should give it a try with the Trial version.
Workflow-wise I would think that when exporting from Media 100 i the "native" Media 100 codec exported as self-contained is the most viable way if you don

Return to posts index

BobP
by
on Dec 5, 2007 at 10:27:56 pm

Thanks for your help, guys. So, if I exported the timelines out to AE, could I then output them as DVCPRO50 and work around the colorspace and field order problem?
Bob

Return to posts index

Floh
by
on Dec 5, 2007 at 11:04:53 pm

[BobP] "So, if I exported the timelines out to AE, could I then output them as DVCPRO50 and work around the colorspace and field order problem? "

Yes, you could work around it. With a Levels filter (Black Input to 16 and White input to 235) and by moving the image down one pixel for field reversion (with interpreting the incoming clip as full frame and rendering without fields) to DVCPro50. If you want to incorporate this into your workflow you definitely should do some tests, though, since I am not sure if there are Gamma issues with DVCPro50.

Return to posts index

BobP
by
on Dec 5, 2007 at 11:39:45 pm

Hi Floh,
Thanks for the response. Forgive my confusion here - when you say move it down one pixel do you mean moving the image position down one in the composition? What affect does that have on the fields? And you say I should interpret as full frame - do you mean switching the field order to "none" - and you say to render without fields - does that mean I'm losing the interlacing?
Thanks!

Return to posts index

Floh
by
on Dec 5, 2007 at 11:54:44 pm

[BobP] "And you say I should interpret as full frame - do you mean switching the field order to "none" - and you say to render without fields - does that mean I'm losing the interlacing?"

Let

Return to posts index

BobP
by
on Dec 6, 2007 at 10:01:29 pm

The light bulb finally turned on! Thanks Floh - I think I owe you more than a couple beers for all the help you've given all these years. I'll try your method and let you know.
Merry merry
Bob

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]