MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Media100 HD and Episode Pro

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Derek BruceMedia100 HD and Episode Pro
by on Dec 2, 2007 at 3:25:39 pm

I know this has just been covered recently, so apologies if I seem to be going over it again.

Basically, I have finally decided to move away from the Cleaner (6.5) world of encoding as I am not happy with the quality of MPEG2 encoding for DVD's. Have decided after reading many favorable reviews to go with Episode Pro. Problem is I can't get Episode to see my Media100 HD exports (by ref or self contained)! I know this is a known problem which will be resolved in time, and I know that just recently the way Media100 deals with black clips has been discussed as the cause of the problem.

My problem is that the solution in Media100 HD that has been discussed doesn't seem to work for me! I have tried importing black stills and using them instead of Media100 black, have tried creating titles and comps in Boris with black stills instead of M100 black and have tried creating /importing black mov's from After Effects - still doesn't work for me, Episode won't let me use the M100 HD Quicktime mov's!

Am working to a tight deadline and really want to use Episode Pro to encode MPEG2's for my current DVD project. What am I doing wrong!! Can anyone explain exactly how to get Media100 HD 'by ref' exports to encode in Episode Pro?

Greatly appreciated - many thanks,

Derek.

Return to posts index

SoftHarborRe: Media100 HD and Episode Pro
by on Dec 2, 2007 at 6:07:34 pm

Well, I'd say it's the way that Episode Pro deals with M100's black clips that is the cause of the problem. Do you have any gaps in your program? Maybe that's an implied black clip.

Return to posts index

Derek BruceRe: Media100 HD and Episode Pro
by on Dec 2, 2007 at 6:56:28 pm

Thanks for your response, I have tried creating new timelines with just one or two clips and exporting from ranges within one clip - still doesn't seem to work (with no black clips or gaps in the timeline). I must be doing something wrong! All suggestions appreciated - thanks.

Return to posts index

by on Dec 2, 2007 at 9:24:28 pm

Well, I have dragged a Media 100 HD codec captured clip (SD 10bit uncompressed) into Episode Pro and found that I can't open that either! (in Quicktime/Cleaner no problem). Meanwhile I have some offline Media100i clips (captured at 100kb) which Episode opens up / encodes with no problem. I fear the problem lies with Episode not recognising the Media100 HD codec, although previous posts suggest that it is possible to work with Episode Pro / Media 100 HD when avoiding the M100 black clips? Still confused! Any thoughts? Thanks,

Derek.

Return to posts index

SoftHarborRe: Media100 HD and Episode Pro
by on Dec 2, 2007 at 9:42:37 pm

Maybe you could export to QuickTime and choose some other codec to get around your deadline problem.

What is the program type (NTSC/PAL, SD/HD, 4:3/16:9 etc.) ?

Return to posts index

by on Dec 2, 2007 at 11:50:04 pm

Your right, and that's what I'm doing - I'm exporting to an ucompressed Quicktime codec which then can be opened in Episode Pro. Obviously this is not ideal due to the extra time taken to export and more importantly the huge file size I'm creating because I can't export by ref.

The programme type is PAL SD 16:9 using the 10bit uncompressed Media100 HD codec.

Thanks again,

Derek.

Return to posts index

greggmRe: Media100 HD and Episode Pro
by on Dec 3, 2007 at 3:19:07 pm

I know that this doesn't help either, but my new success with Episode Pro was using the FCP 10-bit uncompressed codec as my settings in 12.0.2.

Return to posts index

FlohRe: Media100 HD and Episode Pro
by on Dec 3, 2007 at 3:48:21 pm

Derek,

I just tried the latest version of Episode Pro (Trial Version) with Media 100 V12.0.2 and QuickTime7.3, and I was able to use files in the Media 100 HD codec as source files for MPEG encoding. Only ref files containing Media 100 HD codec files seem not to work. So I am not really sure where this problem lies, but most likely it is something in the Episode code that is not working as expected. I would recommend getting in touch with their support, and maybe even sending them some files for testing. It definitely is not a codec issue, as source files (e.g. the original files acquired into the Media 100 HD codec) are working fine.

Return to posts index

greggmRe: Media100 HD and Episode Pro
by on Dec 3, 2007 at 9:24:31 pm

Floh and Derek,

I've been working on this from the telestream side now since September. The break through for me and them came from your post about the way Media100 uses black. Anyway, I've done more testing and now I can encode from both self contained and reference files in FCP 10 bit uncompressed and Media100 HD 10 bit uncompressed. I had to use black from Photoshop psd, but it definitely works. There is a bug on the Episode Pro side that the source file cannot have a space in the path of its location. Also, it appears that they may have fixed the Media100 black issue for the next patch. One thing to note, I am still on a PPC dual G5 with M100 V12.0.2. Maybe there's still an issue with the Intel macs. Anyway, here's a link to my thread in the Episode Pro forum.

http://forum.flip4mac.com/forum/messageview.aspx?catid=20&threadid=673&STAR...

Return to posts index

Andy TaplinRe: Media100 HD and Episode Pro
by on Dec 18, 2007 at 6:37:11 pm

Derek

I thought I'd chip in here as MPEG-2 encoding was always a headache for me from M100 until I discovered Cinemacraft.

It's really fast, recognises the M100 colourspace and gives the best MPEG-2 quality I've evers seen. It runs on the PC only but I've now got it working on an Intel Mac using VMWare fusion and it encodes at about real time on an 8 core 3ghz machine using just one of the cores.

It's expensive at around

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]