MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

IRE levels and whatnot

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bmoneymedia
IRE levels and whatnot
on Nov 16, 2007 at 5:54:54 pm

I am dealing with DG fast channel (digital distribution) and trying to meet their criteria for black levels.

I am editing in Media 100, and compressing with Episode. All the info i can find on other forums suggest that i need to adjust some levels to meet DG's requirements.

Fred Connors said

"You can not compensate for the DG added black with just lowering your black level, or as they said in he old days "Crushing the Blacks".

We found we had to adjust three levels with the FinalCut Proc filter to compensate.
Setup = -0.25, Video = -0.38 and Chroma = +1.05

It is not perfect, but it is much better than no compensating."

Well, I don't find that i have the option to adjust setting like these in Media 100. All I see is the Analog Pedistal option at 0 or 7.5. Does this only effect video input?

help please!

Return to posts index

Gary Milligan
Re: IRE levels and whatnot
on Nov 16, 2007 at 7:10:58 pm

I make my adjustments using the RGB Levels in ColorFX.

Return to posts index

Gary Milligan
on Nov 16, 2007 at 7:49:32 pm

[Bmoneymedia] "Well, I don't find that i have the option to adjust setting like these in Media 100. All I see is the Analog Pedistal option at 0 or 7.5. Does this only effect video input?"

As far as I know it only affects the video input.

I've not tried this myself, but what if you were to import your timeline into a project that has the Video Input preferences set to 0 IRE and then exported from there?

What version of Media 100 are you using? How are you monitoring the video levels in your timeline?

Return to posts index

Kieran Matthew
on Nov 16, 2007 at 8:08:05 pm

Hi Bmoneymedia,

I doubt that the issue here is set-up as that is something in the analogue rather than digital domain. It is more likely that the encoded video needs to be within a specific RGB range to look right.

The Media 100i codec uses the RGB range of 16-235 for legal video with black at 16. Apple generally uses 0-255 for legal video with black at 0. A big difference, and one that will result in milky, low contrast images if the playing system was expecting 0-255. There is also gamma to contend with, and field dominance might rear its ugly head.

The adjustments you need are best achieved either, as Gary mentions, by doing a level adjust within Media 100 using colour Fx or Boris FX, or when you encode in Episode.

Anyway. What would really help here is if you could actually list the DG Fast channel spec/requirements so we can best advise how to correct for them. Post a link to a web-page if necessary.

K

Return to posts index

Wade Cutler
on Apr 8, 2008 at 1:36:53 am

I have the same issue...what did you do?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]