MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

jagged edges on fonts of DVD

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
DigitalGeorgejagged edges on fonts of DVD
by on Nov 16, 2007 at 7:12:04 am

I just finished a DVD project on DVD Studio Pro 2. The video came out looking alright. But the fonts have jagged edges. I use bitvice to compress to MPEG 2. What are the best settings to get rid of the jagged edges. When I exported from M100 I was saving the files as reference. Then in bit vice I would check off 10 bit and interlaced input. There are many other options but I'm not sure what to use for the best results. The fonts are moving across the screen and they look like a series of broken combs.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

DigitalGeorge

Return to posts index

FlohRe: jagged edges on fonts of DVD
by on Nov 16, 2007 at 7:16:53 am

Are you watching the result on a computer screen or a DVD player/CRT TV?You should monitor on a CRT TV monitor, since the edges you are seeing are most likely interlacing artifacts, which are expected when watching interlaced material on a progressive screen.

Return to posts index

DigitalGeorgeRe: jagged edges on fonts of DVD
by on Nov 17, 2007 at 5:33:09 am

I authored the DVD watching it on a computer screen. I burned the DVD and then saw the jagged edges on a television. I have a monitor set up for viewing media 100, but it's not set up to monitor the DVD. What is the best way to compress the video on BitVice so I don't get the jagged look?

Thanks for the help Floh.

DigitalGeorge

Return to posts index

by on Nov 17, 2007 at 1:05:20 pm

Are you using PAL or NTSC? You definitely have to turn on Interlaced Input (if your video is interlaced, which is very likely). And you have to select the right field order (Upper field first for PAL video). Plus, for NTSC you have to crop from 720*486 to 720*480, removing some lines from the top and bottom of the image. I am not really sure about the cropping and field order settings for NTSC, since e.g. cropping 3 lines would reverse the field order of your incoming signal. I would recommend doing some short tests for NTSC footage.

Return to posts index

Gary MilliganRe: jagged edges on fonts of DVD
by on Nov 17, 2007 at 6:38:48 pm

[Floh] "Plus, for NTSC you have to crop from 720*486 to 720*480, removing some lines from the top and bottom of the image. I am not really sure about the cropping and field order settings for NTSC, since e.g. cropping 3 lines would reverse the field order of your incoming signal. I would recommend doing some short tests for NTSC footage"

I may be wrong on this but I think when BitVice crops it takes 6 lines off the bottom - you can't customize this setting - probably to avoid inadvertently reversing the field order.

Return to posts index

DigitalGeorgeRe: jagged edges on fonts of DVD
by on Nov 18, 2007 at 1:28:38 am

I am working in NTSC format. I did crop the video when asked for by BITVICE. I can't remember if I chose the interlace option or not. But should i with NTSC? Do I also chose upper field first for NTSC? Thanks for the help.

DigitalGeorge

Return to posts index

by on Nov 18, 2007 at 9:27:41 am

[DigitalGeorge] "I am working in NTSC format. I did crop the video when asked for by BITVICE. I can't remember if I chose the interlace option or not. But should i with NTSC? Do I also chose upper field first for NTSC? Thanks for the help.
"

You should select "Interlaced Input" when your source is interlaced (which is very likely). Media 100 NTSC 720 codec is Lower Field First, as far as I can remember (we are working in PAL, so I am not 100% sure about that).

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]