MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

OT - PAL to NTSC via Compressor

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kieran MatthewOT - PAL to NTSC via Compressor
by on Nov 14, 2007 at 3:03:09 pm

Hi Folks,

Off topic I know, but I've seen it mentioned here from time to time, so was looking for some help or suggestions.

I recently made a 2 hr DVD for a client in PAL. He now wishes to create a DVD preview copy for use in the States to see if it is worth committing to a full NTSC master/duplication run.

At this point budget constraints rather knock out the Alchemy route, and, as quality is not of paramount importance, a little bit of overkill.

So what is the best way to convert PAL footage to NTSC via Compressor? I did a test with some DVCPro50 media set to DVCPro50 NTSC and despite it looking more NTSC in terms of colour etc, the frame rate was still being reported as 25fps.

Anyone have a good set of settings that balance quality against render time ? I will be using a MacPro Quad 3Ghz, and can leave it for about 24hrs if necessary, but will that be enough for 2hrs of footage?

Any help/insights appreciated!

K

Return to posts index

FlohRe: OT - PAL to NTSC via Compressor
by on Nov 14, 2007 at 3:20:25 pm

[Kieran Matthew] "So what is the best way to convert PAL footage to NTSC via Compressor? I did a test with some DVCPro50 media set to DVCPro50 NTSC and despite it looking more NTSC in terms of colour etc, the frame rate was still being reported as 25fps.

Anyone have a good set of settings that balance quality against render time ? I will be using a MacPro Quad 3Ghz, and can leave it for about 24hrs if necessary, but will that be enough for 2hrs of footage?
"

Which version of Compressor are you using?

Actually I did a PAL->NTSC framerate conversion (for HD1080) material yesterday, and with the best settings it took 2.5 hours for 1min20secs on a 4core 3GHz MacPro. I would bet that converting at the highest settings will take more than 24hours for 2 hours of source material.
If picture quality is not a concern right now, I would suggest using Compressors Resize setting set to "better", and the Rate conversion set to "Good". While not giving exactly brilliant results it will give you something watchable in NTSC.

Return to posts index

Kieran MatthewRe: OT - PAL to NTSC via Compressor
by on Nov 14, 2007 at 9:06:23 pm

Hi Floh,

Thanks for that, I'll give it a go

K

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]