MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Archiving spots with Cleaner or Episode

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
BmoneymediaArchiving spots with Cleaner or Episode
by on Nov 8, 2007 at 8:00:39 pm

Does anyone have any insight into proper settings to use for archiving media 100 edited spots as quicktimes using Cleaner or Episode? I back up all my projects and media externally, but sometimes it would be nice to have high quality quicktime movies saved on my hard drive that i could just pull up quickly to show clients or something.

Return to posts index

Kieran MatthewRe: Archiving spots with Cleaner or Episode
by on Nov 12, 2007 at 6:32:11 pm

Hi Bmoneymedia,

It really depends what you want the media file to be.

If you want the media stored in a cross-platform, high-quality form that can be used for anything, then you could try exporting out as as an uncompressed Quicktime file (compression set to 'none') - though this will result in a big file that has media 100's colourspace locked into it. Of course you could always just keep it in the Media100 codec by exporting out as a self-contained file.

If you want a high-quality but small file that can be played on the desktop to show clients, or FTP'd somewhere then I would suggest QT7's H264 MPEG4 codec. If PC usage is important and you don't want to depend on clients installing QT, then try WMVs.

I do think though that a one-size-fits-all approach may not work, and you may end up with different versions for different tasks. I always seem to end up keeping the media, a self-contained export, an MPEG1 (my clients love them for some reason), a WMV, a QT and more often than not an MPEG2. I am hoping MPEG4 will replace most of these though.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved