MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

24p Interlace Artifacts on HDx... M100 Codec?

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Todd Thorpe24p Interlace Artifacts on HDx... M100 Codec?
by on Oct 27, 2007 at 12:47:49 am

Hi Gang...

Have some questions regarding video shot with Panasonic SDX900 camera and digitized on M100 HDx...

Video quality looks beautiful, no problems there. But I've been asked by my engineer to supply some QT exported files for a test with a new broadcast server. In the process, I've learned that video I've digitized using any of the M100 native codecs are showing interlace artifacts on the repeat 2:3 pulldown frames. I've looked at both the exported video and the original digitized video files from the M100HDx, they look identical and contain the exact same artifact. I've even tried opening the M100 codec files in QT and tried to transcode to other codecs and the artifacts persist. I've tried a test by digitizing the exact same stretch of video using the other non-native codecs in the M100 HDx and not seen this problem... Keep in mind: I'm seeing these artifacts in the QT file, not in the video out from the M100 HDx. The playout looks beautiful as always. But that's not the issue, the exported file is the issue as that's has to go to the server eventually for broadcast playout tests.

My question: Is this a codec issue? Is it M100's way of dealing with the 2:3 pulldown, doing an interpolation of frames to save space and smooth motion? Anybody else dealing with these ramifications in a broadcast/server environment? Any of the M100 tech guys keeping an eye on this forum?

Thanks for any input, folks...

Michael Todd Thorpe

2 M100i's, 1 M100HD

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved