MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Speed FXs Problem

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
tankboySpeed FXs Problem
by on Oct 23, 2007 at 3:55:18 am

Hi Folks

This could be a M100 or a Compressor/Studio Pro question - not sure!?

I've recently finished cutting a project in M100 V11.

A client supplied a bunch of footage shot on fairly average quality domestic style DVD handy-cams you can probably imagine). I converted the footage via MPEG stream clip.

Once in M100 I did a bunch of speed fxs on the footage and all the slo-mo stuff has turned out ok but anything I sped up plays back strobing on the final DVD. It plays back fine from the M100 time line and in the studio pro DVD 'simulator'.

I encoded using compressor (1 pass CBR w/average bit rate of 5.2 & audio done Dolby 2.0) Field dominance set to bottom first (I'm in PAL land) and menus made in studio pro.

As I say I'm not quite sure if this is a M100 question/problem but the offending motion speed fx clips were done in M100.

If anyone else had this problem and over come it I like to know how. In fact any insight into this issue would be greatly appriciated.

Cheers
Tankboy

Return to posts index

tankboyProblem solved. But still Q's to answer please.
by on Oct 23, 2007 at 4:46:36 am

Doh - when I said bottm field for PAl what I shoulda said was Bottom.

For some reason I checked top field and I think it was messing with my motion FXs. Weird though - wouldn't you think it'd effect the whole thing?

Cheers
Tankboy

Return to posts index

tankboyRe: Problem solved. But still Q's to answer please.
by on Oct 23, 2007 at 4:52:32 am

Sorry bad day at the office - I'm not making much sense here. I'll try again...

What I mean is - initially I had compressor set for bottom field and when I checked the top the problem seems to have gone away.

But I'm not sure why it only effected the sped up motion fxs part of the clips in the first place.

Cheers
Tankboy

Return to posts index

FlohRe: Problem solved. But still Q's to answer please.
by on Oct 23, 2007 at 9:40:36 am

Okay, most of the PAL codecs are upper field first. Only PAL DV is lower field first.

One thing you should be aware of is mixing different codecs in the timeline. If you mix codecs that are upper and lower field, and you export a by-ref file for encoding you will get into field problems. If you have a timeline with mixed codecs you should do a full quicktime export and decide which field order and which colorspace to use there.

Btw. do you monitor on a CRT or on an LCD or computer screen? You should watch both the Media 100 out and the DVD out on a CRT monitor to be able to see field order issues.

Return to posts index

tankboyRe: Problem solved. But still Q's to answer please.
by on Oct 25, 2007 at 4:46:48 am

Hi Floh

thanks for you comments they're most appreciated.

Good thinking about the mixed codec thing. It could well of had an impact on this project. I'll go back through the work flow.

Cheers
Tankboy

Return to posts index

tankboyRe: Problem solved.Thanks Floh
by on Oct 26, 2007 at 3:47:38 am

Yes it was a codec thing. Once I exported the movies out as QT and set the fields properly, as you suggested. The final DVD looked fine. Thanks again Floh. Don't know what we'd do without you.

Cheers
Tankboy

Return to posts index

LukkeeRe: Problem solved.Thanks Floh
by on Oct 26, 2007 at 9:27:58 pm

>Thanks again Floh. Don't know what we'd do without you.<

Give up video editing with a Media100 and go sit on a beach with a fishing pole and a cold Red Stripe (Jamaican beer)! ;-)
lc

Return to posts index

tankboyRe: Problem solved.Thanks Floh
by on Oct 28, 2007 at 11:51:16 pm

Hmm, with some of the clients I've had lately...that's sounding like a great idea!?

Return to posts index

AjmetzRe: Problem solved.Thanks Floh
by on Oct 29, 2007 at 12:18:12 am

*optimistically hopes that's because the clients you've had lately have paid handsomely enough for you to afford yourself an early retirement, persuing a life of leisure =D*

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]