MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

M100 to uncompressed AVI for PC edit use

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
tankboy
M100 to uncompressed AVI for PC edit use
on Oct 12, 2007 at 3:04:07 am

Hi Folks

I'm working in SD and I've done an edit for someone who is taking the finished program to someone else to put into a DVD with other material. They're working on a PC based system (not sure what, I have no contact with them) but they have asked via the client for an uncompressed AVI file on disc.

What's the best way of doing this? So far I have Exported it straight out of M100 as and AVI with compression set to none and it goes through the process but the file is 0kb and doesn't play. So I exported it as a self contained DV PAL movie (i'm in PAL land) which gave my 13min edit a 2.79GB file size which is okay but when I use compressor to create an uncompressed AVI it gave me a 30GB file! This can't be right-surely!??

Sorry for the lame question (I don't do a lot of file prep for other people) but can anyone walk me thorugh the way they'd use M100 to provide an uncompressed AVI for a PC based person to use in their edit suite. Also what file size should I expect to get in this case.

Hope this makes sense. Thanks in advance for your help.

Tankboy

Return to posts index

Floh
Re: M100 to uncompressed AVI for PC edit use
by
on Oct 12, 2007 at 6:19:11 am

[tankboy] "What's the best way of doing this? So far I have Exported it straight out of M100 as and AVI with compression set to none and it goes through the process but the file is 0kb and doesn't play. So I exported it as a self contained DV PAL movie (i'm in PAL land) which gave my 13min edit a 2.79GB file size which is okay but when I use compressor to create an uncompressed AVI it gave me a 30GB file! This can't be right-surely!?? "

You should export as a by-ref file from Media 100, and then e.g. use Compressor to convert to AVI. For 13 minutes you should expect ~20GB if you are going uncompressed.

Anyway, I don

Return to posts index

tankboy
on Oct 13, 2007 at 7:33:03 am

Thanks for that Floh. Unfortunately for reasons I won't bore you with I can't really get in touch with the company handling the file direct. Would you export the QT with the animation codec straight of of m100 and what file size would you expect from it?

Cheers again
Tankboy

Return to posts index

tankboy
on Oct 13, 2007 at 7:33:04 am

Thanks for that Floh. Unfortunately for reasons I won't bore you with I can't really get in touch with the company handling the file direct. Would you export the QT with the animation codec straight of of m100 and what file size would you expect from it?

Cheers again
Tankboy

Return to posts index

tankboy
Re: ops sorry double posted
on Oct 13, 2007 at 7:33:53 am

Return to posts index

tankboy
Thanks for your help Floh
on Oct 16, 2007 at 7:47:34 am

As the source was DVCAM anyway (sorry probably should've mentioned that in the first post) and I didn't have a spare drive available to transport a 25-30GB file - I decided to master to tape.

Funny though, it was the last thing I thought of doing. Wasn't that long ago it would've been the first - how things change!!

Cheers
Tankboy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]